2020 GMC Canyon 2.5 engine oil?

This is a direct injection engine. What is, in youse guys opinion, the best oil to prevent intake valve buildup? I've seen the Valvoline Modern Engine oil stuff. Does it work? Does it matter? Any GM techs out there have a preference of what they've seen to which kind of oil to use??? Had a 2012 Equinox 2.4, used mainly Mobile 1 if I remember right. Wife said it was down on power somewhat. I drove it, yep wasn't the same. Used a bore scope, man were those intake valves loaded up. Had used CRC intake valve cleaner too. That's why I got rid of it. Is the 2.5 engine about the same as the 2.4? Has GM done anything to help with the valve build up? I wish RAM made a smaller truck with the Pentastar 3.6, I'd buy it in a heart beat!!!
Thanks In Advance!!!

The 2.5 is somewhat different than the 2.4, but not sure of the details.

The 2.4 had no PCV valve which didn't help the gunk build up.
I doubt that GM has done anything of significant to help the build up.

A catch can would help a good deal if you chose a good one. Some of the
cheap ones don't work all that well.

My 2¢

girlfriends 2.5 malibu ended up an oil burner + traded at 60 thou using over a qt in a thou!!! the xx-20 oils were WORSE + switching to a 10-30 helped for a while, all fake synthetics of course. GOOD LUCK!!!

I've got that engine in a new Blazer with the 9-speed. It's a sweet powertrain, great accel for a 3800# 4cyl SUV and averaging 28mpg. I'm using Milesyn SXR 0W20 not because it's anything magic but it meets Dexos and I got a couple pails when WM was selling it at 5 gals for 35 bucks.

I really can't see how any oil would prevent build up, since oil doesn't be in contact with that part of valve. I thought by going part port and part direct, it was to solve the problem. The question is, does this engine have that?

Reactions: Kql
I really can't see how any oil would prevent build up, since oil doesn't be in contact with that part of valve. I thought by going part port and part direct, it was to solve the problem. The question is, does this engine have that?
No I think the double injectors is a design Toyota uses.

Toyota claims they went to a dual injection setup because they designed “self cleaning direct injectors”. In order for the direct injectors to self clean there needs to be a back up port injector to keep the engine running. Toyota makes no mention in relation to cleaning the intake valves. Since direct injectors can get an awful carbon buildup in a short amount of time it appears Toyota went to a dual injector setup for the sake of keeping direct injectors clean. Any intake valve cleaning would be minimal IMO with the dual injection setups.

Toyota claims they went to a dual injection setup because they designed “self cleaning direct injectors”. In order for the direct injectors to self clean there needs to be a back up port injector to keep the engine running. Toyota makes no mention in relation to cleaning the intake valves. Since direct injectors can get an awful carbon buildup in a short amount of time it appears Toyota went to a dual injector setup for the sake of keeping direct injectors clean. Any intake valve cleaning would be minimal IMO with the dual injection setups.

toyota uses d4s system for fuel management power and efficiency. the “self cleaning“ feature is actually a slit in the direct injectors that when fuel is pumped through breaks the deposit rings that form on the tip Of the injector.

video simply explaining D4S

i also like watching this guys explanations
, he has several on emerging technology and fuel management systems

Last edited:
Back