2020 F250 4wd. 7.3L

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
For the sake of conversation.
Manual says engine break in is 1000 miles
Same for Towing
No friction reducing additives for 2000 miles

No issue with that. But I understand you could idle an engine for hours which would be bad for a new engine.
The ?? is they never list hours. At 725 miles total my idle and driving is at 32 hours according to the trucks screen.
That is a good bit of hours and my terrain is hilly. The rpm's are always up and down. Seemed to me at 600 miles it broke in??

Then a buddy of mine that is a ASE top notch mechanic says he thinks these trucks could tow right away.
Seems to think that is from days gone by. I'm in no hurry as I like to take a year with a new truck before I start putting it to hard work.

I have owned three other SD's since 2011 and one was a diesel F350
The 7.3 taking off acts like a 6.7 and even has the whistle of the diesel. Missing is the deep growl :)
The 10 spd to me always seems to find the right gear. So far no confusion. The 6 spd for the others was constantly confused.

Observation. This F250 has the HD suspension and FX4 package.. ( Not a huge fan of the FX4 but this truck was on the lot)
I wonder if Ford ever recalibrated the suspension for the lighter aluminum body? Reason being of the 4 SD's I had in a decade this one
is a beast. Right now it is a rough rider and the psi is 60/65 F& R and my 2011 was a FX4 diesel with 80 psi all around.
It is very stout and it has the long bed.

I have the 6.2L, but both my 2012 F-250 and my current 2019 were towing 10k+ in the first week. The 2012 had over 300k when I sold it with no engine trouble and the ‘19 is almost at 35k.

Drive at varied engine speeds and don’t beat on it too hard for the first 1000 miles or 50/100 hours and it’ll be fine.

Part of the reason for limited towing with a new vehicle is to allow the differential to break in. I would follow the manual.

From other information, if I remember correctly, Ford considers 1 hour of idling to be roughly equivalent to 33 miles.

Our Super duty trucks go to work as soon as the upfitting is done. And that happens at way less than 1000 miles. Your mileage may vary...

I think you are fine to do whatever with 700+ miles on it now. I know companies that buy cab and chassis trucks, outfit them with beds, fuel tanks, welders, air compressors, tools, etc right out of the gate that weigh over 15k and they get hundreds of thousands of miles out of them.

I think you are fine to do whatever with 700+ miles on it now. I know companies that buy cab and chassis trucks, outfit them with beds, fuel tanks, welders, air compressors, tools, etc right out of the gate that weigh over 15k and they get hundreds of thousands of miles out of them.

I agree plus I'm super easy on my vehicles. Why? Because I pay for them....lol
At 845 miles now. I haven't had it past 2500 rpm as with the 10 spd not much reason to.
Still stiff as a board- very stout......... Engine seems more willing now

For the sake of conversation.
Manual says engine break in is 1000 miles
Same for Towing
No friction reducing additives for 2000 miles

No issue with that. But I understand you could idle an engine for hours which would be bad for a new engine.
The ?? is they never list hours. At 725 miles total my idle and driving is at 32 hours according to the trucks screen.
That is a good bit of hours and my terrain is hilly. The rpm's are always up and down. Seemed to me at 600 miles it broke in??

Then a buddy of mine that is a ASE top notch mechanic says he thinks these trucks could tow right away.
Seems to think that is from days gone by. I'm in no hurry as I like to take a year with a new truck before I start putting it to hard work.

I have owned three other SD's since 2011 and one was a diesel F350
The 7.3 taking off acts like a 6.7 and even has the whistle of the diesel. Missing is the deep growl :)
The 10 spd to me always seems to find the right gear. So far no confusion. The 6 spd for the others was constantly confused.

Observation. This F250 has the HD suspension and FX4 package.. ( Not a huge fan of the FX4 but this truck was on the lot)
I wonder if Ford ever recalibrated the suspension for the lighter aluminum body? Reason being of the 4 SD's I had in a decade this one
is a beast. Right now it is a rough rider and the psi is 60/65 F& R and my 2011 was a FX4 diesel with 80 psi all around.
It is very stout and it has the long bed.

Same GVWR and lighter curb weight by a half ton than a steel body diesel. That explains the relative stiffness unladen.

True but my guess is they never revised the spring rate to the lighter weight

That's my point. It's still a 10,000 lb Truck. The weight savings of the aluminum body allowed them to increase bed thickness, frame strength and gain payload at the same time. Lightening the suspension would have been counterproductive. It would have reduced capability. It would have hauled less and had less towing stability. You can't put an 8,000 lb suspension under a 10,000 lb truck.

In the half tons they reduced the GVWR and gave up part of the capability they gained from the weight savings. This is due to the fact that they are figured into CAFE and they have to test at half way between curb and GVWR. Also most people no longer by half tons to be trucks.

That's my point. It's still a 10,000 lb Truck. The weight savings of the aluminum body allowed them to increase bed thickness, frame strength and gain payload at the same time. Lightening the suspension would have been counterproductive. It would have reduced capability. It would have hauled less and had less towing stability. You can't put an 8,000 lb suspension under a 10,000 lb truck.

In the half tons they reduced the GVWR and gave up part of the capability they gained from the weight savings. This is due to the fact that they are figured into CAFE and they have to test at half way between curb and GVWR. Also most people no longer by half tons to be trucks.

Slightly revising the spring rate wouldn't have compromised anything.
I'm not suggesting jumping off a cliff....lol

Back