2020 > '22 Kia Rio , Hyundai Accent and Venue cartridge change

No longer the BLUE can . This verifies it's the drain plug . Found it here , https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/oil-change-on-21-rio-with-1-6-mpi-napa-oil-filter.353450/ .

Article : https://www.ecogard.com/ecogard-s11830-hyundai-263502m000-cartridge-oil-filter/

Instructions : https://www.ecogard.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/26350-2M000_INSTALLATION_INSTRUCTIONS_MW_V2.pdf

IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG

So the oil pan itself has no drain plug????
oil pan is normal it has a bottom mounted cartridge filter that looks easy to screw something up.. jiffy lube at your own risk.

I'm not sure what the point of this is.. why reinvent the wheel?

So the oil pan itself has no drain plug????
The drain plug on the filter housing is to drain the filter before removing it to make less of a mess, I guess… there’s still a drain plug on the oil pan.

I think this a stupid design on Hyundais part and this cap drain plug thing is going to cause more engine related issues when quick lube shops forget a step possibly causing an oil leak. They should have left well enough alone and kept the blue can.

Last edited:
Steered us away from new designed 1.6 ltr. engine ( w/ cartridge ) and the C.V.T. replacing the 6 speed auto for the '20 > '22 Rio , Accent , and Venue . Pictures are from RIO on a dealer lot . Always look for easy access to oil filter and oil pan drain plug when considering a purchase of the make and model .

so is that removal nut off center? Looks like you are asking for problems. [edit: nope, it is not off center, just looked like it in the OP picture, video shows it is centered)

I just don't get why this is happening on more and more vehicles.
Top mounted cartridge filters make oil changes simple and cleaner.
Putting a cartridge underneath adds more complexity and problems, if you are going to put the filter under, use a canister.
Toyota already tried this and users and techs hate it, as well as having issues with the plastic caps breaking and needing a special tool to remove it.

This one is just adding a small drain where not needed, and something to be forgotten to be put back/tightened as a failure point.

Edit: just looked at the install info, this is just stupid.
Stupid enough to make me never buy a vehicle with this filter on it.
You should not need an instruction manual for an oil filter.

Just watch the video:

Cap looks identical to the one on my Santa Fe (a top mounted cartridge filter), wonder if that would fit?
My Santa Fe filter cap also has the issue of 2 groves that the o-ring can go into, I always have to double check it is in the correct one.

Last edited:
Not fan of bottom mounted cartridge, however a drain plug for the housing in that case makes sense. Less mess before cartridge removed. I wonder if Hyun/Kia moving to engine bottom a product of the start up rattle frequently associated with their top mounted cartridges eg., 3.8L and 3.3L had some of that.

Toyota Rube Goldberg comes with separate plastic tube to drain housing first.

Person doing O.C. not aware of the drain plug . Removal starts at 56 seconds .

17mm ratchet. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I’m being picky here.

Another example of why reading the owners manual is a great idea when you purchase a new vehicle.

The drain plug is a great idea.

It looks like it’s missing. I wish that part could have been checked out closer. Also that lock pin, what’s the deal with that?
The lock-pin holds the cartridge in the housing. For what reason? ... all I can think of is to ensure the filter is seated right in the housing before installation and to maybe keep it from rotating while being installed into the engine.

The lock-pin holds the cartridge in the housing. For what reason? ... all I can think of is to ensure the filter is seated right in the housing before installation and to maybe keep it from rotating while being installed into the engine.

I could see that little part getting lost. Something for owners to ponder.

The drain plug ( oil filter cap plug ) is leaking in this video ( starts at 1:09 ) for O.C.. The previous person who did the O.C. probably didn't twist the oil filter cap plug ( drain plug ) 90 degrees to make proper seal (?) . No thanks to buying a new Kia or Hyundai with the new 1.6 Ltr..

Last edited:
States it's his 1st time replacing canister / filter at 5:36 in video . Not sure if that spring mechanism ( 4:30 ) is supposed to be there . Didn't see it at Hyundai parts online .

Back