2020-2022 Chevy Equinox front end wobble?

JTK

Posting a little fun situation I just went through with my newly acquired 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD with ~34K miles on it. The day I drove it home from the dealership I bought it from, I noticed a weird, slight shake/wobble vibration from the front end, just once when I got on it's blistering 1.5T, 6AT powerhouse. Most of the pavement is pretty bad in my area and there's lots of wash-boarding, so I chalked it up to that and didn't notice anything again for another 200-300 miles of use.

A week or so later I felt it again BAD when merging hard onto the interstate. It continued until I let of the gas and then smoothed right out as it normally is. Now I know what conditions will cause it.. Even with that I couldn't get it to do it every time.

As soon as I had a chance I searched the google machine and found TSB 20-NA-227. In short, the TSB states if this condition exists, replace both front CV shafts. As far as I know, being a TSB, this doesn't mean a free repair if you're out of warranty. My 2021 is timed out of the GM 3/36 warranty, but has the remainder of the 5/60 powertrain and in the PR of NY, used vehicles with under 100K miles on them get a "free" 3mo/3000 mile bumper/bumper warranty.

Instead of calling the Mazda dealer where I bought this equinox from, I called and made an appointment with their Chevy store, which is a good 22 miles way out in the middle of nowhere, way more rural than where I live. They got me in yesterday. I dropped off a copy of the TSB along with my concern. They put a shiny new pair of GM CV shafts up front no questions asked and sent me on my way, no charge.

I also asked them to look at some oilyness that appears to be seeping out of the charge air cooler inlet / turbo outlet. Enough that is has coated the a/c compressor below it with grime. They cleaned the area, test drove, but can not find any active leakage. They said to bring it back if it gets worse. After not getting the shaft on the shafts, I didn't push my luck. I'll keep an eye on it.

Wow good service. Many time dealerships get defensive when you come in waving a TSB. Glad you got it taken care of. I would never have such luck around here.
I hear you. It's been awhile since I've needed dealer service and I was hesitant. My thoughts are it's because I just bought this vehicle from this dealer chain less than 2 weeks ago.

Back