2019 WRX Limited Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bluesubie

I guess the unknown is does an oil with the operational viscosity of a 20 grade protect sufficiently in a turbocharged Subaru in all conditions that a WRX owner will see?

Yeah, I know, just run what Subaru of America recommends since they provide the warranty. But that answer is boring.
grin2.gif

I know a guy who ran Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 in his WRX and it messed up his main bearings. I asked him why he used a 0w20 oil instead of the recommended 5w30, let alone a robust 5w30 like Rotella Multi Vehicle? No answer as of yet.

I am waiting to see what the fallout may be from Subaru recommending, under warranty, the usage of 0w20 in the FA24F. I came across a guy who swears up and down that these engines have clearances that would easily allow for the usage of 15w50.

I sent my Mobil ESP Formula 5w-30 sample this afternoon to BS, it will be interesting to compare to the Rotella MV 5w-30 as it was used in similar mileage and dring habits, maybe a tad more highway miles, but not much. I also used a can of CRC intake valve cleaner before changing the oil, I wonder if it will affect the UOA.

Will post back here when I get the results.

Last edited:
I ran Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 on advice from, bluesubie, I think. Bought new and put >40K on my 2016 before I sold it. I did get at least one UOA, and I think I posted here. The oil held up well. I ran the car pretty hard from time to time, including several floggings on Deal's Gap (Hwy. 129, "Tail of the Dragon") in East Tennessee in which I redlined it consistently in 1st-3rd gears with lots of engine braking for 20-30 min. at a time.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I ran Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 on advice from, bluesubie, I think. Bought new and put >40K on my 2016 before I sold it. I did get at least one UOA, and I think I posted here. The oil held up well. I ran the car pretty hard from time to time, including several floggings on Deal's Gap (Hwy. 129, "Tail of the Dragon") in East Tennessee in which I redlined it consistently in 1st-3rd gears with lots of engine braking for 20-30 min. at a time.

I think that was back in the good ole days when Shell included the Noack on the data sheets. The oil inside was GTL but the outside label wasn't yet re-branded IIRC.

As soon as bitogers find out something good, the oil is reformulated and/or details are removed from data sheets. Same thing happened to the original Green GC.

But 10W-30 is still a good choice in these engines IMO. Since it's tested at -25C, I guess it's too thick at start up for those CAFE credits.
48.gif
Last summer I ran a mix of Edge 10W-30 and 10W-40 High Mileage and it helped with consumption. This summer I didn't even put on enough miles for an oil change.

Last edited:
As promised, here is my latest UOA with Mobil ESP Formula 5w-30.

Previous UOAs were as follow:

91 182 km was with Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30
82 271 km was with QSUD 5w-30
74 956 km was with QSUD 5W-30
67 931 km was with QSUD 5w-30
64 076 km was with PP 5W-30

This UOA also stayed in grade like the Rotella MV, which leads me to believe that HDEO and C3 oils will shear less than Ressource Conserving (GF5) oils.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 15
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back