2019 Tundra ATF.... Burned?

Can you guys please come to a consensus so I know what fluid to use on my next change? I just did the ATF for the first time on my 2010 4Runner at 111,000 (easy) miles using WS. 3 drain and fills. The initial fluid came out dark and ugly but in no way did it smell burnt or feel gritty. Next time I’d love to order Maxlife at Walmart instead along with my grocery order. It was a bit of a dance to get the WS at a reasonable price.
366376d1595733197-transmission-fluid-change-procedure-2a9ca348-0d81-4b43-af99-da5396bffaf9-jpg

Not sure about that--I think those who have changed to Maxlife or similar have found the ATF stays red longer.
I'm no expert. But when I picked up my daughter's used Yaris I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and replaced the FF WS with Maxlife. After 15k miles I decided to do a DAF just for good measure. The fluid that I drained was cherry red. Actually felt kinda dumb for doing it once I saw it. But it was already in motion. Wasn't going to stop mid way through it at that point.

Can you guys please come to a consensus so I know what fluid to use on my next change? I just did the ATF for the first time on my 2010 4Runner at 111,000 (easy) miles using WS. 3 drain and fills. The initial fluid came out dark and ugly but in no way did it smell burnt or feel gritty. Next time I’d love to order Maxlife at Walmart instead along with my grocery order. It was a bit of a dance to get the WS at a reasonable price.
366376d1595733197-transmission-fluid-change-procedure-2a9ca348-0d81-4b43-af99-da5396bffaf9-jpg
We’ve put about 10k miles on a 2016 4Runner with a single drain and fill with Maxlife at 22k (~32k miles currently on the car). Shift feel is the same as with 100% factory fill WS in trans. I’m planning another drain and fill with Maxlife on the 4Runner at the next oil change.

I also used to have a 2007 Tacoma with the A750 trans, I did a drain and fill with Maxlife at 80k miles and traded it In at 87k miles. I’ve had no issues with mixing WS and Maxlife at all. I know the new owners and the truck is still running strong almost 2 years into their ownership. I’m not sure how many miles the Tacoma has now, but they drive it a lot. I’m certain that it is well over 100k miles now.

If its not burned then it has to be clutch material in suspension. There just isn't much that can contaminate the fluid. You can't really judge the fluid by its color.

If its not burned then it has to be clutch material in suspension. There just isn't much that can contaminate the fluid. You can't really judge the fluid by its color.

Did you read the report? It's all below what would be expected for a similar transmission with 38K miles....

I'm starting to read Toyota branded WS good to 300° and I'm positive I had it well over the 260° I monitored. That was on a 1-2 mile 4% grade towing 7000 lb with no effort in 90°. I pulled same load up the Cajon Pass in CA in 100°. A good 20 mile grind! While I went up with no issues I could feel the difference....... I towed several similar passes during this hot summer and as the report says "no reason to think this ATF saw more heat than it could handle".

I'm gonna stick with Toyota WS based on the report for now. We'll see at maybe 30K what it looks like

We are looking to buy a New Tundra. No way I am going to go long term without an auxiliary oil cooler . I even stuck one on my ancient Sierra that already had one just because I had one laying around so on it went. leaving that cooler off is a horrible idea. Yea sure most people don't do anything but use it to go to the dump but still everyone knows tranny longevity is directly related to the temperatures it operates. My one issue is messing around with anything under warranty.
So, what special oh la la cooler is approved for the Tundra? Does someone make an exact kit specifically or "approved" for this truck. If so Im going to try to twist their arm into putting it on.

I saw that video this morning, looks like the Tundra did have an elevated trans temp(at least compared to the Chevy). I would add a cooler if I towed a lot!

I've used maxlife atf, but I prefer amsoil signature series atf. I've put ~50k miles on the amsoil SS atf and no issues so far.

I have never seen an initial fill come out looking good in a Toyota/Lexus with that WS in there. Did my LS460 at 70,000 and it looked so bad that I figured I’d need a transmission, but I was wrong, it was fine...and ran fine until I traded it in at 179,000 miles.

And my 2016 Toyota Avalon with only 50,000 miles looked even worse, pretty much black when I drained it.

Took three drain and fills and a pan drop to finally clear it up.

Attachments

• CE681C57-B66F-48CF-96FA-2E0437DCE748.jpeg
    CE681C57-B66F-48CF-96FA-2E0437DCE748.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 10
I have never seen an initial fill come out looking good in a Toyota/Lexus with that WS in there. Did my LS460 at 70,000 and it looked so bad that I figured I’d need a transmission, but I was wrong, it was fine...and ran fine until I traded it in at 179,000 miles.

And my 2016 Toyota Avalon with only 50,000 miles looked even worse, pretty much black when I drained it.

Took three drain and fills and a pan drop to finally clear it up.
Nice car doublebase. I bought our GS with 71k on it and it looked the same. I did 2 drain fills with amsoil. Mine has the 8 speed, shared with the tundra (wow). The programming, consistency, and perfection in the shifting strategy is superb. It’s actually deceiving - how well they did it. In mine at least, there’s a big ratio gap from 2-3, which isn’t noticeable at all in auto mode, but very obvious driven manually, but I rarely manual shift down there, and when I do, it does a pretty smart rev-match on its own.

being that the little v6 GS is using the tundra transmission, there’s no way it would be as stressed as it would be pushing a full-size truck around. Yet the fluid certainly looked tired. I think the WS stuff just doesn’t hold of visually, like the honda fluid.

Towing a travel trailer is a lot different than say towing a car or boat. The difference it notable when I go from towing my car to towing my travel trailer. You are just pushing more air which makes a big difference. The weight difference is less than a 1000lbs for me but the surface area is much larger on the trailer. Evening towing a 10,000 dump trailer is easier than the Travel Trailer.
If you are towing a 7000lbs travel trailer you might look into a Tru-cool 40K. I had that one on my last 3/4 ton and it worked great. Not super hard to install and reasonably priced. I run the Normal GM in stuff in my tow vehicle. However the service manual does call for 45,000 mile transmission fluid change for severe service. Towing is noted as an example. I also put a larger PML transmission pan on the 2017 It holds 3 extra quarts and cools off quicker. This past summer pulling some long grades with 8000lbs I never saw over 170 degrees for the transmission in 90 to 100 degree heat. How often do you tow?
I have that same cooler on my avalanche. Even up black mountain with my 7k travel trailer it only hit 170! ( That weight is pushing it for the avalanche, want a bigger truck next year).

I think clinebarger recommended the TRU-Cool to me some time back. Massive thick cooler!

full-36616-25648-dsc05641.jpg
full-36616-25649-dsc05633.jpg

Last edited:
Nice car doublebase. I bought our GS with 71k on it and it looked the same. I did 2 drain fills with amsoil. Mine has the 8 speed, shared with the tundra (wow). The programming, consistency, and perfection in the shifting strategy is superb. It’s actually deceiving - how well they did it. In mine at least, there’s a big ratio gap from 2-3, which isn’t noticeable at all in auto mode, but very obvious driven manually, but I rarely manual shift down there, and when I do, it does a pretty smart rev-match on its own.

being that the little v6 GS is using the tundra transmission, there’s no way it would be as stressed as it would be pushing a full-size truck around. Yet the fluid certainly looked tired. I think the WS stuff just doesn’t hold of visually, like the honda fluid.
The Tundra does not have an 8 speed? The 4.6 Tundra has an A760E/F 6 speed and the 5.7 gets an AB60E/F 6 speed.
BA377E26-EC40-40DA-84AE-98F88184F1E5.png
3D6B73D6-5378-4BB2-99B5-291F60839445.png
08A628F5-1255-40DB-B50A-DD0C47951946.png

The GS is a great ride...almost bought one this summer....great ride and outstanding interior. I had the 8-speed in my LS460...absolutely bullet proof. Loved that transmssion.

I have always only used the WS in my Lexus/Toyotas, however I have heard good things about the Maxlife and of course people go crazy for the Amsoil. But I've just stuck with the WS - once you get it on a schedule it remains red and clean looking - haven't had any issues with it.

Look toyota doesn’t want you touching the ATF is a fill for life unit . Trust what manufacturers are telling us please 😐😕

Most people do. And most people aren't people that care if their transmission lasts 100k or 200k. That's perfectly fine. Toyota only has a financial interest in that vehicle until it is out of warranty. The amount of care and concern they have about a vehicle going many miles past the warranty rapidly approaches 0 after it passes.

Some of us want to maintain our second biggest investment (After a house) and want to maintain ALL of the vehicle systems. not just the engine. In a system that sheds particles and has a very rudimentary filter, I want clean fluid in there on a regular basis, end of story.

'Lifetime fill' is something you advertise so you can have 'the lowest cost of ownership(*)'

*Over the life(**) of the vehicle.

**Life being defined as 'as long as we have to fix it on our dime'

Back