2019 Ranger Retraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKN

While the written process provided to us listed the removal of a LF wheel arch access panel, held in place by nine fasteners, Ford North American product communications manager Mike Levine states only three fasteners need to be removed in order to peel back the flap to access the oil filter. The wheel does not have to be removed to facilitate this. You'll want the wheel hard over, though.

Shocking. A bunch of handwringing over a product not available for consumption yet, with no data other than some internet article.

Sounds like a trip back to my previous F150's (97 and 99 with the 4.6 and no remote oil filter mount) that required to the wheel to be turned hard right to allow the oil filter to clear the steering gear. How terrible...

Originally Posted by CKN
Ford North American product communications manager Mike Levine states only three fasteners need to be removed in order to peel back the flap to access the oil filter. The wheel does not have to be removed to facilitate this. You'll want the wheel hard over, though.

That's almost exactly the same process needed to change the oil filter on a 3rd generation Toyota 4Runner which was no big deal. The 5th gen 4Runner is 10x the effort.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Shocking. A bunch of handwringing over a product not available for consumption yet, with no data other than some internet article.

Sounds like a trip back to my previous F150's (97 and 99 with the 4.6 and no remote oil filter mount) that required to the wheel to be turned hard right to allow the oil filter to clear the steering gear. How terrible...

They are on the lots now. You won't see advertising until dealers get a good stock probably in February.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by CKN
Ford North American product communications manager Mike Levine states only three fasteners need to be removed in order to peel back the flap to access the oil filter. The wheel does not have to be removed to facilitate this. You'll want the wheel hard over, though.

That's almost exactly the same process needed to change the oil filter on a 3rd generation Toyota 4Runner which was no big deal. The 5th gen 4Runner is 10x the effort.

Oh don't tell the Toyota fanboys that! It's always fine when it's a Toyota but if it's a Ford it's some engineering conspiracy.

I'm one of the few people on BITOG who is very interested in buying one as my first truck. How "difficult" the oil & filter change is, is not a deal breaker for me. What might be a deal breaker for me is the cost of a similar equipped full size truck is vs a new Ranger.
Ford and Ford dealers offer a lot more off of MSRP on a new F150 than a new Ranger. If the Ranger stays at or close to MSRP, I'm not buying a Ford product. My home is on 5 acres and my GTI doesn't cut it and I need a truck.
If Ford is reading this and can PM me, my wife is a former model and will drive the truck in the Columbus, OH area and to her travels to NYC.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by MNgopher

They are on the lots now. You won't see advertising until dealers get a good stock probably in February.

Yup, all 17 of them on the lot at dealerships within 100 miles. Still won't have a good flavor for what this entails for a while yet.

Originally Posted by CKN
While the written process provided to us listed the removal of a LF wheel arch access panel, held in place by nine fasteners, Ford North American product communications manager Mike Levine states only three fasteners need to be removed in order to peel back the flap to access the oil filter. The wheel does not have to be removed to facilitate this. You'll want the wheel hard over, though.

That eliminates using a pair of ramps, unless you like living dangerously. Still not for me.

Originally Posted by CKN

Good of you to admit the information you posted was incorrect
smile.gif
That thread did go on for 10 pages though, gave everyone something to talk about!

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Some one at Ford is watching BITOG!

People are complaining about the Ranger oil change procedure all over the internet. I personally think the complaining is fairly ridiculous and overblown.

But, as we saw with the quick-lube shop and the Audi story I linked, I'd be wary of taking one of these to such a shop. They might just saw a section out of the tire, and anything else in the way, to get to the filter...

Exactly the same procedure for the Aussie 3.2 diesel Ranger (of which a VIDEO was posted in the other thread....)

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by CKN

Good of you to admit the information you posted was incorrect
smile.gif
That thread did go on for 10 pages though, gave everyone something to talk about!

To be honest-I reported something that has been on a half-dozen websites-including basically a quasi Ford Factory forum. It was bad information-but then again there are a lot of speculative posts-and less than reliable, opinionated info on here (in many cases) as well, so I don't feel too bad.

Originally Posted by 02SE
People are complaining about the Ranger oil change procedure all over the internet. I personally think the complaining is fairly ridiculous and overblown.

But, as we saw with the quick-lube shop and the Audi story I linked, I'd be wary of taking one of these to such a shop. They might just saw a section out of the tire, and anything else in the way, to get to the filter...

Nah, they just won't change the filter
45.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm one of the few people on BITOG who is very interested in buying one as my first truck. How "difficult" the oil & filter change is, is not a deal breaker for me. What might be a deal breaker for me is the cost of a similar equipped full size truck is vs a new Ranger.
Ford and Ford dealers offer a lot more off of MSRP on a new F150 than a new Ranger. If the Ranger stays at or close to MSRP, I'm not buying a Ford product. My home is on 5 acres and my GTI doesn't cut it and I need a truck.
If Ford is reading this and can PM me, my wife is a former model and will drive the truck in the Columbus, OH area and to her travels to NYC.

Give it a year or two for sales to cool and the problems to be worked out.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by 02SE

Nah, they just won't change the filter
45.gif

You just might be right...

It's still dumb and they shouldn't have done it. And it still eliminates using ramps because you can't safely turn the steering wheel on the ramps to facilitate getting in there properly. Nope still wouldn't buy it.

NO NEED FOR THIS NONSENSE.... Now back to Sewing. Can someone help me with my Bobbins, they don't seem to be parallel.

Originally Posted by E365
Exactly the same procedure for the Aussie 3.2 diesel Ranger (of which a VIDEO was posted in the other thread....)

seeing it, it doesn't seem so bad, but i still don't like it.I have a feeling that lots of filter relocation kits will be sold for these trucks

and looking at that video, you shouldn't need to take that bottom shield off more than once, if you install a fumoto. looks to be plenty of hose room, either over the cross brace, or down over/through/etc the shield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back