2019 Infiniti Q50 3.0t Luxe (vr30ddtt) Valvoline 5w-30 FS Advanced | 1,431 mi annual OCI

Hi all,

In this post, I'd like to share with you all my latest UOA that I just received from Blackstone.

The purpose behind sending this to Blackstone was to 1) to see if my oil has any antifreeze in it (long story, some VRs have porous blocks) and 2) to see how this oil holds up for this long and whether if I can in fact change it once in 2 years if I continue driving it so little. When I was draining the old oil, I felt like I was wasting my money by the way it looked and the report pretty much confirmed it.

XZhuKk6Tr-4iMWdsPLdC3mIM69M-960.jpg

I just did my oil change on 8/30/22 at 28,230 miles when I took the sample. I ran Valvoline Advanced for 1,431 miles for one year exactly with the large Nissan oil filter 15208-9E01A; 90% of the time I drove the car in traffic, doing short trips here and there with plenty of time idling.

After an interesting discussion in https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/infiniti-q50-vr30ddtt-cant-make-up-my-mind-on-oil.358148/ I've decided to stick with Valvoline and this time I went with the Extended Protection since the Modern Engine is no longer being offered.

q50.jpg

Well done. I'm using the last of my stock of the Valvoline 5W30 ME oil, with the bigger Nissan oil filter, in my '17 Q60S AWD. Just turned 33k miles, and I have about 1k on the oil so far. With 5k OCIs and 100% WFH, it turns out to be a once a year OCI since 2020. UOAs (posted here on BITOG) have been consistent for the last 20k miles. Will switch to Valvoline EP or Ravenol at the next OCI.

Last edited:
If you're going to drive 1500 to 2000 miles a year, go 24 months between OCI's.

Take the vehicle for a long drive every few months, and you will be fine. :)

Yup, if I end up driving so little next year, it ain't gonna see another OC until 2024 lol. I just had to do the report for the peace of mind. Not sure why so many people preach to change oil every 6 months regardless of miles.

Well done. I'm using the last of my stock of the Valvoline 5W30 ME oil, with the bigger Nissan oil filter, in my '17 Q60S AWD. Just turned 33k miles, and I have about 1k on the oil so far. With 5k OCIs and 100% WFH, it turns out to be a once a year OCI since 2020. UOAs (posted here on BITOG) have been consistent for the last 20k miles. Will switch to Valvoline EP or Ravenol at the next OCI.

I really wanted to ditch Valvoline because it did so poorly on my Kia which made me think it wasn't good enough to be in my Infiniti. I am glad I was wrong. I really don't see a reason to switch to anything else at this point. ME and EP are nearly identical anyway. Is there a reason you are considering Ravenol?

I really wanted to ditch Valvoline because it did so poorly on my Kia which made me think it wasn't good enough to be in my Infiniti. I am glad I was wrong. I really don't see a reason to switch to anything else at this point. ME and EP are nearly identical anyway. Is there a reason you are considering Ravenol?
I use Ravenol in my '21 Audi SQ5 w/3.0T (single turbo), and have had good UOAs with the 0W20. I might try their 0W30 for the fall/winter.

Back