2019 Grand Sport - looking for feedback

Hello,

Haven't been by here in a while and curious to get some thoughts on oil to use in my '19 C7 Grand Sport.

This car is driven about 400 miles a month, mostly on weekends. The car is driven very spiritedly, unlike the vast majority of these cars.

Car is driven on group "cruises" in the back roads and state highways of Kentucky, and let's just say that heavy acceleration and braking are involved for stretches of 5-10 miles at a time.

Mobil1 0w-40 is currently in the car and is fresh as of a couple weeks ago. Transmission fluid and differential fluid just changed yesterday.

On these cruises, I regularly see oil temps climb to around 240-245 degrees.

Given this type of driving, which I consider to be more strenuous than autocross, but not as demanding as a track day, how many cycles of 240-250* temps should I realistically expect to get without compromising the oil?

This car has a dry sump setup and holds 10 quarts (9.8 to be exact).

Should I be using a different oil? I know Mobil1 0w-40 is generally regarded as being stout, but curious to get thoughts on this.

Does not directly answer your question but a good rule of thumb is that for every 10 degrees Centigrade that you increase the temperature, reaction speed doubles.So for every 18 degrees Fahrenheit, your oxidation, etc will double in rate. If your normal going down the road at 55 temperature is about 209 F, then at 245, everything has quadrupled. Maybe this helps you decide when to change it.

Mobil 1 0w40 should have you covered. You can always substitute a couple quarts of M1 15w50 in there as well. I have mixed them before.

your present oil is surely decent + the 10 qt volume is great, if it were me i would be running a real synthetic + of course Redline comes to mind, as for viscosity a 40 hot is good unless you track the car or it uses oil , the cold # depends on if you drive in the winter so even real synthetics, lighter oils base oils burn off faster so a higher first # is better

12 cycles.

Kidding aside - do yourself a favor and get a few UOAs; otherwise it is as much guesswork as my fake answer was.

No need for anything different than the 0W-40 for spirited street driving. What's the manual say about track use?

Oil temperature of 240-245 F (115 - 118 C) for short periods of time is really nothing. Just change the oil when it's time.

Oil Life vs Oil Temperature Graph-2.jpg

Cylinder Wear vs Oil Temperature.JPG

Hello,

Haven't been by here in a while and curious to get some thoughts on oil to use in my '19 C7 Grand Sport.

This car is driven about 400 miles a month, mostly on weekends. The car is driven very spiritedly, unlike the vast majority of these cars. ....

Should I be using a different oil? I know Mobil1 0w-40 is generally regarded as being stout, but curious to get thoughts on this.
I would hazard a guess you would NOT go two years without an oil change - where 2 years is ENTIRELY feasible here.
So I would change 1x per year. That infrequent "high" OT seen should not be any concern.

If you are happy with the performance of the FF M1 , I would not change brands.

If you want to try something different, I would look for FUCHS Titan Supersyn 5W40 which has
API CF GM-LL-B-025 recommendations - or if you are looking for a tiny bit more power
their 5W30 which is ACEA A3/B4 and API SL and GM-LL-A-025 GM-LL-B-025.
These are both mid- high HTHS lubricants for MOFT should be maintained in "rambunctious" street driving/
Plus the 5W30 should drop the Oil temps a bit.

Enjoy the car, and keep her shiny side up !

- Ken

BMW engines run around 240-245fc in a normal cycle. My Toyota runs at 230f oil temperature (185-190f coolant). I ran Mobil1 0W40 at 293f on track in BMW. Ran it for 5k OCI.
Unless you see the temperature coming to 290-300f, no reason to worry. Even at 290-300f M1 0W40 will cover you. Any oil that has Porsche A40, MB229.5 approvals will do absolutely fine at 240f. They won't blink :)

Back