2019 Frontier ATF matic S

I am looking to do an ATF change. The engine bay says to use a matic -S fluid. Looks like about the only fluid in a gallon size with a "recommend"
matic-S is Maxlife, I prefer not to use a high mileage fluid. I would like to use Castrol Transmax Full synthetic multi vehicle but can't find it locally in 1 gallon size.
Funny how the import atf don't meet matic s but GM VI about does(low vis.). I may have to use Maxlife.

I wouldn't let the fact that the ML bottle says for high mileage vehicles, keep me from using it in the topic application. Valvoline ML uses "recommended for," Castrol Transmax FSMV uses "suitable for", imo a distinction without a difference.

I used ML in several Honda applications several hundred thousand miles between them, all original trans. It's worked fine for me. And always an excellent value in the jug.

That said, if the for high mileage moniker bothers you that much can always go for the high dollar Matic S or one of the more expensive aftermarket ATFs that tout/say for matic S or something similar. If like Honda DW1, then none of the latter has same analysis as Matic S. Me, I'd go ML and sleep well.

When I had my old Frontier I used Maxlife or the drain and fills. I had a 2010 with the 5 speed auto that called for Matic S. It shifted fine with over 100,000 miles on it when I sold it.

I don't think Castrol Synthetic ATF comes in a gallon. I've never seen it. There is nothing wrong with buying it by the quart :)

Even though Maxlife is marketed towards high mileage, it can be used on lower mileage cars with no problem.

I don't think Castrol Synthetic ATF comes in a gallon. I've never seen it. There is nothing wrong with buying it by the quart :)

Even though Maxlife is marketed towards high mileage, it can be used on lower mileage cars with no problem.
It still exists. Here is the old bottle:
10435588_cst_159e0d_pri_larg.jpg

But it's hard to find as it is being phased out by the new bottle:
5e8b5ed5-bfc0-4b80-8cfb-17bc4017e177.2065fb7f03a6873902008dbf663d02cf.jpeg

I would still use MaxLife without a doubt or second thought, regardless of age or mileage of the transmission. So far it worked perfectly for every OEM spec that is listed on the MaxLife bottle as "recommended for". No, it won't "overswell the seals and make leaks" as some old timers claim.

The Maxlife will work great in this application. I've used it in Nissan Matic S and Toyota T-IV applications. I intend to use it again when I change ATF in the Camry in my signature. It's good stuff.

Castrol Transmax Import MV pictured isn't the same as referenced Castrol Transmax Full Syn Multi Vehicle. The former does not list Matic S as a recommended application on the current PI sheet. And "afaik," it's not a full synthetic fluid.

As for the Transmax " ATF/CVT" Universal, it's relatively new and while it does list a suitable for Matic S, unlike Castrol FSMV, I'd be a little leery of it at this point. And "I would not use it in CVT application at all.

Last edited:
It still exists. Here is the old bottle:
View attachment 82035
But it's hard to find as it is being phased out by the new bottle:
View attachment 82034
I would still use MaxLife without a doubt or second thought, regardless of age or mileage of the transmission. So far it worked perfectly for every OEM spec that is listed on the MaxLife bottle as "recommended for". No, it won't "overswell the seals and make leaks" as some old timers claim.

nope, not the right one. I'm talking about Castrol Full Synthetic ATF :)

cb7a0fd6-8029-4de2-a1cc-92df4a98568d_1.49a5c777361f996eada40fe44e211b46.jpeg

The Castrol Full Synthetic ATF gallon seems to be sold in Canada but not the US:

0289195_1_8d0e5bb0-d156-41b0-81c4-6e2683952e0c_700x700.jpg

There is circumstantial evidence that Castrol makes Nissan's fluids and that Matic-J is Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF while Matic-S is Transmax Full Synthetic. I'd use Castrol over Valvoline if it were me.... Downside is the cost - Valvoline's fluid is cheap.

At 45k miles, absolutely no need to do 3 drain and fills. One is more than enough. Just repeat a single drain and fill every 30k miles or so.

45.000 miles on truck. I will use ML and drain/fill 3 times in a week. then 1 drain every 15 to 20k miles.

Either of the ATFs you list will work fine in this old school 5spd AT that's been around forever.

I think my father-in-law only has about 18-20K miles on his 2017 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4. I haven't touched any of the fluids on it. He insists on having the engine oil changed every 3000mi at the local Nissan dealer.

Either of the ATFs you list will work fine in this old school 5spd AT that's been around forever.
Didn't think about that but yeah, if it's the 5-speed, that transmission has been around for at least 15+ years and was developed around Matic-J ATF. Nissan only says to use Matic-S because a) it's backwards-compatible with Matic-J and b) they want to spec a single ATF for as many of their auto transmissions as they can.

Reactions: JTK
I am looking to do an ATF change. The engine bay says to use a matic -S fluid. Looks like about the only fluid in a gallon size with a "recommend"
matic-S is Maxlife, I prefer not to use a high mileage fluid. I would like to use Castrol Transmax Full synthetic multi vehicle but can't find it locally in 1 gallon size.
Funny how the import atf don't meet matic s but GM VI about does(low vis.). I may have to use Maxlife.
My Frontier is a 2012 Pro-4X4 and I have tested the Castrol Full Synthetic Transmax, Valvoline Dexron VI, GM Dexron VI, MaxLife ATF, Amsoil ATF and ATL against my own full synthetic formulas and I did not notice any difference in shift quality.

With regards to fluid changes, my experience is that 40k is too long to leave any ATF in this transmission, no matter the brand.

Back