2019 F150 5.0 - Another Truck Rental Review

Yes-new trucks cost money. The truck you were driving probably is 50 grand. Trucks for some is a WANT and not a NEED. They hardly ever pencil out. Most could get the utility they need from a minivan-and we know how those things sell.

I do tow quite a bit, but locally the old f350 works. While I don't feel I actually "need" a truck , I could justify one for hobbies. 99% of the stuff I move around for my house renovation can be accomplished with my homemade utility trailer behind the Forester. I could actually live with this truck as a DD, same with the 2WD 1500 I had before. Snow tires and some weight and it'll work in the winter. They get decent MPG empty with the tall gears, powerful engine combined with a light truck.

It was a base model 4x2 XL with some goodies. No factory tow package, 3.31 gears. 5.0L engine ($2k option). I just priced out something pretty close to this and it was about $35K.

This year, two trips, I'll have $700 into rental trucks. No matter how I spin it, that's significantly less than buying a newer truck.

What temps do you see that are concerning?

240° is where I back out and will stabilize there at about 55mph on climbs if its a really hot day. If I pushed the truck I could EASILY crest 250F and put it into thermal protection mode. Easily.

I didn't realize they were putting the 6R80 trans in the 250 in 2015. Thanks for the info. I have it on my 15 5.0 with 3.55's.

I think the 6R140 was standard until the 2017 body update and then they started putting the 6R80 in but only in the F250 and only with the 6.2L. F350's with the 6.2L still get the 6R140.

I do tow quite a bit, but locally the old f350 works. While I don't feel I actually "need" a truck , I could justify one for hobbies. 99% of the stuff I move around for my house renovation can be accomplished with my homemade utility trailer behind the Forester. I could actually live with this truck as a DD, same with the 2WD 1500 I had before. Snow tires and some weight and it'll work in the winter. They get decent MPG empty with the tall gears, powerful engine combined with a light truck.

It was a base model 4x2 XL with some goodies. No factory tow package, 3.31 gears. 5.0L engine ($2k option). I just priced out something pretty close to this and it was about $35K.

This year, two trips, I'll have $700 into rental trucks. No matter how I spin it, that's significantly less than buying a newer truck.

Towing is really where the trucks become key. I pull a relatively small 5500 lb GVWR travel trailer and anything less than a half ton is inadequate here in Utah and the surrounding states. MAYBE a diesel Grand Cherokee or Mercedes ML would do it but anything less would suck. I would acutally say that most people here are using HD pickups to pull any travel trailer, not just the huge 5th wheels. You go into a campground and 90% of the trucks are diesel HD's with a few half tons sprinkled in.

240° is where I back out and will stabilize there at about 55mph on climbs if its a really hot day. If I pushed the truck I could EASILY crest 250F and put it into thermal protection mode. Easily.

I think the 6R140 was standard until the 2017 body update and then they started putting the 6R80 in but only in the F250 and only with the 6.2L. F350's with the 6.2L still get the 6R140.

Towing is really where the trucks become key. I pull a relatively small 5500 lb GVWR travel trailer and anything less than a half ton is inadequate here in Utah and the surrounding states. MAYBE a diesel Grand Cherokee or Mercedes ML would do it but anything less would suck. I would acutally say that most people here are using HD pickups to pull any travel trailer, not just the huge 5th wheels. You go into a campground and 90% of the trucks are diesel HD's with a few half tons sprinkled in.
While I don't disagree many of these trucks are pulling light trailers. I think the HD trucks are a psychological sign of something else....if you get my drift.

Because a half-ton will do just fine towing what it should tow-which is approximately 5,000 pounds.

I can say hammer almost down, pulling my jeep on a trailer up and down 14% grades I never saw above 225 on the trans temp.

Supposedly the 2018+ 5.0 is identical between the Mustang and F150 in terms of the physical parts. In the past the manifolds and cams were different.

The difference is in the tuning. The Mustang 5.0 is allowed to rev to 7500 rpm I believe where the F150 is capped at 6000 rpm? The Mustang makes its peak power at 7000 rpm above where the F150 is even allowed to rev. An aftermarket tune will open the F150 up to mustang power levels and more.

The Gen 3 Mustang and F150 don't even have the same firing order.
Mustang retains the "flathead" firing order while the F150 gets the old Modular/Windsor firing order.
Same compression ratio and cylinder head castings but different cams/intake.

The F150 does respond exceptionally well to tuning and raised shift points but the differences extend beyond tune.

I think the 6R140 was standard until the 2017 body update and then they started putting the 6R80 in but only in the F250 and only with the 6.2L. F350's with the 6.2L still get the 6R140

2017-up 6.2 F-250 had a 6R100

Back