2018 RAM 2500 transfer case fluid options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual says use Mopar Borg-Warner 44-44 fluid for the T-case. I'm wondering is there any other options for it? Is it just another name for ATF-4 fluid so you have to buy MOPAR fluid? Thanks for your help.

The HD trucks do not have an auto 4wd features they done require that mystery fluid. Just use a decent Atf. I am running a thicker 7.7cSt group 4 atf+4 compatible fluid in mine. Runs as good as it did before.

The owners manual says for towing, change every 60,000 miles. I couldn't find the capacity but one Ram site said 3 pints, (less than two quarts.)

The Amsoil vehicle look-up said use Amsoil Mult-vehicle, ATF but also listed every Tom, **** and Harry car maker and transmission.

So, basically 2 quarts every 60,000 miles. The Ram manual suggests ATF +4 for the six speed automatic transmission but not the transfer case. I wonder why. I'll pick door #2. Mopar BW 44-44. Report back in 200,000 miles.
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you really want to go down the BW44-44 rabbit hole, search the other 44-44 threads here. My 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar also uses the BW44-44. It's recommended you only use the $30/qt Mopar 44-44 fluid. Not ATF. I don't necessarily believe this, but that's what the OM says.

Originally Posted by JTK
If you really want to go down the BW44-44 rabbit hole, search the other 44-44 threads here. My 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar also uses the BW44-44. It's recommended you only use the $30/qt Mopar 44-44 fluid. Not ATF. I don't necessarily believe this, but that's what the OM says.

Rabbit hole for sure! I'll use the 44 fluid in mine, expensive but infrequent luckily. There's just not alot of literature out there at all

Yeah, stick to the MOPAR OEM Jesus Juice for the BW 44-44. If it was a BW-44-45 chain driven transfer, you can get away with ATF+4 or other transfer case specific universal fluids like the one Valvoline offers.

Like others mentioned, it is a rabbit hole to go down trying to find a direct compatible fluid for the MOPAR OEM fluid for the BW 44-44 and you will not get anything remotely specific other than generality statements and unproven anecdotal statements for other fluids.

Just wanted to post, I have 152k on my 14 2500 and used Amsoil ATF since 30k. Changed it 3 times total. I will continue to use the ATF. Sorry I know this doesn't help, but just about everyone I know runs ATF in the transfer case just like the old NVG273.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back