2018 Mazda 3 lifetime fluid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day,

My transmission is a 6 speed skyactiv auto, and it seems to shift a bit rough in the 3rd gear or when downshift to third gear. Sometimes when cold, seems to hesitate shifting in 2nd, kinda jumping gears. Called the dealership to change the fluid, I have 125 000 km, so a bit over 60 000 miles.

They told me not to change it, that its lifetime fluid, and that if I do, I may damage it because it can clog small passages in the transmission.

Is this makes any sense? after all, there is a drain plug and a dip strick, so why is it so bad to change it??

Thanks in advance for the help.

It is a bit of a pain in the butt to change but, a homeowner should be able to do it without much trouble. My service writer said if I really wanted, to come back at ~ 100,000 miles to do it. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Only two things I can think of 'good for a lifetime'. Marriage, at least that's what the vow promises and an insurance policy on each one.

Certainly not transmission fluid.

Start with a drain/refill and proper ATF level check. DIY if your dealer is too incompetent to do a drain/refill. It won't damage or clog anything. Idiocy with your service writer and whoever at the dealer told you this internet foolishness.

If issue doesn't go away drain/refill and ATF level check, you then get to pay for diagnosis and shotgun parts replacement at dealership. What's a transmission cost these days?

Good day,

My transmission is a 6 speed skyactiv auto, and it seems to shift a bit rough in the 3rd gear or when downshift to third gear. Sometimes when cold, seems to hesitate shifting in 2nd, kinda jumping gears. Called the dealership to change the fluid, I have 125 000 km, so a bit over 60 000 miles.

They told me not to change it, that its lifetime fluid, and that if I do, I may damage it because it can clog small passages in the transmission.

Is this makes any sense? after all, there is a drain plug and a dip strick, so why is it so bad to change it??

Thanks in advance for the help.
Change the fluid. It's very easy.
Get the oem fz fluid from the dealer.
I would do 2-3 drain and fills. A fewe hundred kms apart.
I had a 16 mazda 6 with the same trans.
After 3 drains it shifted flawlessly again.

It is a bit of a pain in the butt to change but, a homeowner should be able to do it without much trouble. My service writer said if I really wanted, to come back at ~ 100,000 miles to do it. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh
On the Mazda 6 and 3 it's very easy on the 6 speed.
Just Google a video. Easier than an oil change.

FWIW and this may not relate to your issue whatsoever, but yrs ago the family Corolla exhibited the sort of thing you're describing and it was thought to be due to a failing shift solenoid. Local trans shop was having an issue really trying to pinpoint it and suggested we let the dealership look at it and they sorta came to the same conclusion. We opted to not bother with a fix as the car had around 170K on it and my daughter was ready for something new for the amount she was driving, so it went on it's merry way.

Just consider yourself very lucky that you have a dipstick and drain plug. Wow. I’d be changing that thing every other weekend if my cars were that easy! Yes change it.

Neither of my vehicles have dipsticks. Both require measuring tools, or scan tools to read the level...along with pulling the plug, letting the fluid make a mess, eyeballing it, checking the tranny temp. Not fun. And never mind actually filling the thing...one has to be pumped...the other has to have a cover removed, tire removed, and requires a long funnel to be bent into a pretzel.

It's not recommended to flush it but a drain is fill is okay. It is a pain to do so lots of techs throw a fit if someone wants it done so service writers just tell people not to do it and make up excuses. Try calling around and seeing if someone will do a drain and fill, and make sure they use OEM fluid cuz the sky active transmissions have a special fluid in them.

how much mileage did you had when you did your first drain/fill? what were the symptoms?
60k miles.
Sloppy shifting, more slip than grip.

New fluid, after 10-30 miles everything adjusted.
If you plan to keep it for a while change the ATF.

60k miles.
Sloppy shifting, more slip than grip.

New fluid, after 10-30 miles everything adjusted.
If you plan to keep it for a while change the ATF.
okay, did you checked before you drain it if the level was a bit low? My dealership also told me there was a 2012 mazda 3 doing all his service there that had 990 000 km, which should be over 1 million km right now, and said they ATF was the same, its hard to believe.

It might be hard to believe they used glue to assemble your car but they did. Look for the structural foam too.

Back to the transmission, are you the only one driving this car?

I will make the point again, get it diagnosed. There may be a transmission computer flash or update they can do. There might be a electronic component acting up. Don’t assume it’s the fluid.

It might be hard to believe they used glue to assemble your car but they did. Look for the structural foam too.

Back to the transmission, are you the only one driving this car?

I will make the point again, get it diagnosed. There may be a transmission computer flash or update they can do. There might be a electronic component acting up. Don’t assume it’s the fluid.
I have an appointment next Thursday for an oil change and they will take a look at it. Back to 990 000 km mazda 3, he confirmed that all servicing was done at the dealership and no ATF drain/replacement was done.

I have an appointment next Thursday for an oil change and they will take a look at it. Back to 990 000 km mazda 3, he confirmed that all servicing was done at the dealership and no ATF drain/replacement was done.

As I understand it they can hook up to the transmission computer and check all kinds of parameters. Hopefully it is quickly diagnosed and easily fixed.

okay, did you checked before you drain it if the level was a bit low? My dealership also told me there was a 2012 mazda 3 doing all his service there that had 990 000 km, which should be over 1 million km right now, and said they ATF was the same, its hard to believe.
You don't need to check as there is a dip stick.
You take a measurement with the trans temp at 50 or 60c.
It says right on the stick.

I think it was 3.4 liters almost every time.
I kept it drain 20mins.

I don't trust ANYTHING a dealer ever says. Ever.
Especially

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back