2018 Ford Taurus 3.5 Duratec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm generally assuming the elevated levels are because it's a new engine. Although I was surprised by the low TBN. Any thoughts?

IMG_1853.PNG

I would not have guessed that occurrence with "signature series" Amsoil.

Switch to plain ol' dino oil and see what happens
grin2.gif

Break-in is surprisingly low for metals, honestly. How many OCIs have been done? Just the one to switch over to Amsoil?

I have a slew of UOAs on this engine; my interest level is high because I now own two of the same (now own 2 2018 Taurus SEs). These engines wear extremely well and don't need anything expensive to offer a long life cycle. Generally 10k mile OCIs are easily doable from the data I've seen.

These engines suffer from a design concern in that the water pump is internal (inside cam chain cover) and if the outer shaft seal leaks, it will put coolant into the lube via seeping into the pan (obviously a bad thing). Even if it leaks externally via the weep hole, it's not a small deal. The pump R&R is about a 15 hour job; most places quote $1500 or so. Some folks have had bad luck; seeing the pump go as early as 60k miles. Others have had really good luck with the pump lasting 200K miles. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to how long they will last. Because of this, I believe that UOAs are critical to saving the engine; watching for coolant is a major thing. The difference being that if you can catch the issue PRIOR to coolant getting into the oil, you're going to spend $1500. if it gets in and causes severe oil degradation, you'll ruin bearings and cylinders; time for a new engine. YT is full of vids regarding this topic.

Honestly, UOAs on this engine are pretty much useless except to track for coolant. There's never going to be any wear issues whatsoever. I'm considering just starting my UOAs around 50k miles, watching for the impending doom of coolant pump issues. You'll never see any definitive wear shift due to lube selection in these engine; they show no preference for brand/grade. Simply put, lubes don't kill or save this engine. The only savior for the engine is knowing if/when the pump is going to turn the lube into molasses.

Last edited:
I've heard of the water pump horror stories. But also heard it's rather rare since they put a double sprocket on the water pump in 2011 and newer. Maybe less tension on the shaft. Not really sure. This is my second Taurus. Had a 2010 before this one. I did dump the factory fill at 550 miles or so.

About 240k miles on my mom's 2010 3.5 original water pump still. Nothing attached to or inside the engine has been touched actually. It's been her best car yet.

I did however personally see a 2012ish f150 3.7 V6 with a blown head gasket. Bottom end knock, lots of white smoke and lots of pressure in the coolant reservoir.

Last edited:
It's a great engine -- one that Ford should have kept around in stead of this 2.0EB garbage.. I had two of the 3.5s and two 2.0EB. I would much prefer the old 3.5 Duratec.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
It's a great engine -- one that Ford should have kept around in stead of this 2.0EB garbage.. I had two of the 3.5s and two 2.0EB. I would much prefer the old 3.5 Duratec.

It is a great engine in terms of decent performance and such. Pretty much the only issue is the water pump. Other than that, these things are really darn stout in reliability.

I purposely got the two 2018 Taurus's because I wanted the 3.5L engine, even despite the water pump issue, over the 2.0EB in the Edge and other vehicle platforms (also looked at the Escape, but again a 1.5L EB .... no thanks). Had the 3.5L still been available in the Edge we might have considered them. However, the insane rebates they are throwing at the sedans pretty much made it impossible to walk away from the Taurus choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back