2018 F150 5.0 15k miles; PZ 5w-20 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by AITG
Originally Posted by Joshua_Skinner
II didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. Looks like I found the high pressure fuel pump on the right side cam cover. And that Ford had to move an ignition coil and add a plug wire to fit it there. The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations. I wonder about the 1st year engine and trans calibrations as I can hold constant throttle under moderate acceleration and feel significant changes in torque. The 10-speed can get clunky in on/off throttle transitions that happen frequently in traffic. This is more pronounced when the trans is cold. The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

I have the same truck and the 10 speed was truly annoying when cold. Hard shifts, hanging in gear, even one cold start where the trans went into neutral on its own twice under light throttle. I took it to the dealer and they re-flashed the trans electronics with the latest and greatest. It fixed 95% of the shift issues. Once it gets to 5th, it's excellent up through 10th and back down. The trans was a joint effort between Ford and GM. Evidently GM did 1-5 and Ford 6-10. I would trade it for a 6R-140 in a heartbeat but that's a medium duty only offering.

I just believe you can't keep up with the times and anything modern you have issues adapting. Unless you are specifically hunting for the gear changes the shifts are hardly noticeable or you have a bad transmission.

I wasn't aware that you had driven my truck.

Looks like it is wearing nicely, and it hasn't sheered down like most other dual fuel 5.0's that I've seen. Usually they land in the 6-7 cst range. Ill be using Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 for my next change on my 2018 5.0. Nice to see their 20 grade holding up so well.

The Ford IOLM was dead on accurate in my 3.7L F-150. Not a lot of built-in cushion, either. Just accurate. I trust it.

In the interest of conservatism, I now change at about the 20% mark. For me that's about 7,000 Miles.

Sounds like you should have no troubles hitting 10K miles on that oil.

One thing to consider though is that the filter is the other part of this equation. Filters only work so well, for so long. Depending upon the conditions of the "how and when" you took the sample, their could be more wear metals in the oil that your sample indicates.

I'm not advising against the 10K OCI's.... just make sure you take the samples then the engine and oil are hot and if you can pull the sample from the top of the engine. I know it's not always possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back