2018 Dodge 3.6L calls for 5W20, while same Chrysler engine calls for 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Pacifica with the 3.6L engine. It calls for 0W20 oil in the manual, and nothing else. My car has been at the dealer for a couple days getting the recall repairs done. They gave me a 2018 Dodge Town & Country 3.6L rental until they finish my car. I checked the oil in the Dodge and found that it calls for 5W20 oil. And the manual for the 2018 Dodge says that "Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available."

So what is the difference? The engines are the same, no? Yet the Dodge uses 5W20 and says 5W30 is acceptable, yet the Chrysler calls for 0W20 only (Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.).

CAFE strikes again?

Being in Florida, I would use 5w20. No dealer is going to be able to tell the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 even if they test the oil. All that is different is the cold flow rating. They are both 20 weight oils.

They went to 5w20 after oil filter update as well as oil pump update. Wish I still had the link. I run only 5w20 in mine and live in Louisiana. Caravan is nice and quiet with no overheating but that could be from oil cooler but I do get 19.3 with all short trips and that is with synthetic blend

2018 Grand Caravan
4600 miles.

bubbatime, you must mean Dodge Caravan, since the Chrysler Town & Country minivan hasn't been made since the Pacifica replaced it a couple of years ago.
tiger862, the oil filter is the same (XG11665 or 68191349AC) between an '18 Caravan & '17 Pacifica. Are you sure about any "updates"?

I strongly believe its because of fleet sales. Caravans go to fleets far more than Pacificas, and Dodge (FCA) wants to spec 5w20 so the fleet managers can plan on using cheaper conventional oil, since 0w20 is only available in full syn or mostly syn (blends). The only technical difference in 0w20 vs. 5w20, besides obvious cold flow differences, is shear stability, and even that is a minor issue if using a full syn 0w20 anyway.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
bubbatime, you must mean Dodge Caravan, since the Chrysler Town & Country minivan hasn't been made since the Pacifica replaced it a couple of years ago.
tiger862, the oil filter is the same (XG11665 or 68191349AC) between an '18 Caravan & '17 Pacifica. Are you sure about any "updates"?

IIRC that filter dates back to 2014, and is still being used on the 2018 PUG engine.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I have a 2017 Pacifica with the 3.6L engine. It calls for 0W20 oil in the manual, and nothing else. My car has been at the dealer for a couple days getting the recall repairs done. They gave me a 2018 Dodge Town & Country 3.6L rental until they finish my car. I checked the oil in the Dodge and found that it calls for 5W20 oil. And the manual for the 2018 Dodge says that "Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available."

So what is the difference? The engines are the same, no? Yet the Dodge uses 5W20 and says 5W30 is acceptable, yet the Chrysler calls for 0W20 only (Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.).

CAFE strikes again?

As that van is available as a Hybrid as well I suspect the 0w20 is spec'ed for that reason. They want maximum flow when the engine might go from being off to running at 55 miles per hour all of a sudden as it engages the engine, especially when temperatures are frigid and the oil isn't warmed up to temperature sitting in a cold sump. I believe they also call for the 0w20 in the PentaStar equipped vehicles with start-stop systems for similar reasons. It's easier to have one oil cap with 0w20 to fit both the hybrid and non-hybrid models of the Pacifica and start-stop versions with the PentaStar.

I'm using 0w20 in my PentaStar equipped Caravan even though the cap says 5w20. 0w20 can be used anywhere a 5w20 can be used without issues. I think the reason my cap still says 5w20 is because the Caravan line is built in a different factory than the Pacifica and it's an older design going back to 2012 which has 5w30 originally until a cylinder head and oil filter revision and then they started using 5w20.

Last edited:
Why is it so hard to understand that engines can accept various viscosity oils without any issues whatsoever? Well, aside from using wrong cold W rating for people living in the arctic or Saskatchewan
lol.gif

Your engine is running a much thicker oil then specified for about the first 20 minutes after being cold started, every single day. Why would a change from 0w20 to 5w20 or 5w30 all of the sudden cause damage?

I'm guessing it's the way the owner manuals are written is the culprit of this thinking that if any oil viscosity, other than the one printed on the cap, will cause engine damage. But I have never seen any owner's manual mention that any damage may occur when other viscocities are used.

There is plenty of warning in the owner's manual about vehicle damage when a wrong coolant is used, or wrong ATF is used, but where does it say that damage will occur if 5w20 is used instead of 0w20? I would love to see this manual.

StevieC, your hybrid Pacifica 0w20 connection is true, although that doesn't apply to the normal 3.6L version.
KrisZ, good discussion of sensitivity to viscosity, certainly useful in cold weather.
I spoke to a fleet manager once, and they do not like to be told they have to use a more expensive oil (0w20) over a conventional bulk cheap oil (5w20). Fleet sales. Thats also why Hyundais only ask for 5wXX in most stuff they have for fleets.

Read what I said more carefully. I explained that it's most likely because of the Hybrid that they can't be bothered to put 5w20 caps on the non-hybrid versions so they just spec 0w20 for both and leave it like that.
This is further backed up by the fact that it's built in a different factory than the Grand Caravan that is spec'ed for 5w20 on the cap with the same engine and along with other vehicles that have the Pentastar 3.6 like the Jeeps / Rams.

Last edited:
I wonder if one is the older version of the Pentastar and the other is the Pentastar Upgrade? I'm sticking with 0w20 in my JL. The first couple UOA's looked good, so I'm at ease with it. I think a lot of development has gone into the 0w20's, so they should handle about anything but maybe track racing.

Originally Posted by dave1251
There are many manuals which state failure to use recommend grade oil may cause damage may not be covered under warranty.

Can you please share an example. I personally have not seen that damage will occur when a different viscosity is used. Usually the wording is something along the "optimal" performance and fuel economy.

Unless the verbiage changed sometime between 2016 and now, the manual should say a 5w30 is allowable.

It may be on the next page... Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by dave1251
There are many manuals which state failure to use recommend grade oil may cause damage may not be covered under warranty.
Can you please share an example. I personally have not seen that damage will occur when a different viscosity is used. Usually the wording is something along the "optimal" performance and fuel economy.
'18 Equinox owners manual:

ownersmanual.JPG

That GM recommendation pertains to Dexos 1 and Dexos 2 requirements, yes engine damage may occur if the the oil doesn't meet dexos spec.. They even mention for extreme cold what to use, not that the viscosity will damage the engine. This is similar to many European manufacturers.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
That GM recommendation pertains to Dexos 1 and Dexos 2 requirements, yes engine damage may occur if the the oil doesn't meet dexos spec.. They even mention for extreme cold what to use, not that the viscosity will damage the engine. This is similar to many European manufacturers.
Notice they connect "viscosity" with "right engine oil", with the warning:

ownersmanual.JPG

To add to the above, I agree that the manual mentions engine damage that could be tied to viscosity, but that would be using 5w30 or 5w40 oil in 0w20 application. I can see someone being concerned about that, but not 0w20 vs 5w20. This is the same grade oil, just different winter rating.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

IIRC that filter dates back to 2014, and is still being used on the 2018 PUG engine.

Demarpaint: you are correct. Our dodge grand caravans get 5w30 without issue
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back