2018 Civic SI 1.5L Castrol 0w-40 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Originally Posted by bink
Hi, This OCI was from 20k to 30k on the engine. The previous OCI was also 0w-40 from 15k-20k. The previous OCI's were PP 0w-20 at 5k each. I switched to 0w40 after noticing the extra half quart being drained each time. My driving habits are 60 miles a day commute with 90% of that being highway. The car rarely sees short trips as I drive my truck around town. When changing the oil I also discovered an oil leak from either the oil pan or main seal. I wasn't able to get a good look at it. An oil change with filter calls for 3.7 quarts. I drained around 4.25 quarts. After I get the oil leak taken care of this car is most likely sold.

hopefully i attached the report correctly.

Did you provide the Castro product name?

The wear rate per 1000 miles looks to be on the normal range for a GDI engine, Iron is 2.9, Aluminum is 1.1 and Copper is .2. The GM Ecotec GDI non turbo is 5.7/1k miles and 2.5 for non GDI.

Have you found VOA for the Castrol to see about the Titanium if it is an additive. I have seen some use it as high as 80ppm.

After 10k miles I am surprised that the viscosity has not sheard back to a 20W. TBN will always show lower due to the type of test method but seems to have did it's job during this OCI

Fuel % is probably correct, higher amounts results in much higher rates in iron wear and viscosity loss. I would sample at 2500, 5000 and 7500.

Attached is thread with user that shared his UOA for his Civic 1.5lT. He had better results using Amsoil SS, with the same amount of Fuel Dilution.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...l-5w-30-sig-series-voa-mfg-020619#UNREAD

actually i meant to ask what the product code was. Im not entirely sure where to look on the bottle. Its the belgium made castrol 0w-40 that you find at walmart!

Originally Posted by John_Dude
Clean your mass air flow sensor, could be running rich because its dirty, causing extra fuel dilution.

MAF cleaner is like $10 for a can that will last for 10ish uses

Or it could just be because of the direct injection and turbo. Seems like a lot of these new low displacement forced induction engines show a lot of fuel dilution. 0w40 is really all you can do.

my old corolla was bad about the maf getting gunk all over it. its always been a habit to clean the maf sensor with maf cleaner every 10k for me!

Woah! Just read about this issue...and people think VWs have issues....

Seems that just going with shorter OCIs and whatever the cheapest on-spec oil per what Honda recommends is the way to go. The leak is a warranty issue for sure and hopefully not an issue that you haven't been running the correct oil (unlikely to matter).

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Woah! Just read about this issue...and people think VWs have issues.....

Yeah, change the make of car and this would run 10 pages in 30 minutes

Originally Posted by 4WD

Truth.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Truth.

X2
I never stay behind a VW on the roadways here. Most of em' puff blue smoke when the traffic light turns green. Matters-not what model they drive.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 4WD

Truth.

X2
I never stay behind a VW on the roadways here. Most of em' puff blue smoke when the traffic light turns green. Matters-not what model they drive.

I'm not going to start a range war but that's such baloney .

Is it possible that the leak is stemming from the fact that you basically have an over filled crankcase/sump? Too much pressure from over capacity could have caused the leak. Just a thought... Good luck.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Maybe the 0w30 Castrol would have held up better. Is it much different than the old GC formula except the country of manufacture?

No it would not. This is just excessive fuel dilution that these engines are known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back