2018 Chevy Equinox L

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, it was a last minute rental. I really didn't have time to research the car ahead of time as I learned of my flight cancellation as I turned on my phone upon landing at ORD from SNA.

It was between the Equinox and a CR-V. It looked like the Equinox was going to have a bit more gear, so I took it as they were the same price. Paid almost as much for a one-way rental of the Equinox from ORD to STL as we did for three days with the 2017 Fusion.

I believe this was the L trim level. That seems to be the fleet and/or special order level. Most you find in the wild will be LS or LT. I believe the engine was the 2.0 NA lump and the 9 speed. Since it was almost 10pm and I had about 300 miles to cover, I didn't spend a lot of time opening the hood and looking around. If the transmission had 9 gears, I couldn't tell, it was very smooth. I don't think it was the turbo 1.5 as there was ample power off the line and no sudden rush of power under boost. So I'm guessing the 2.0L engine.

Easily paired my phone with the in-car head unit. Seems these things offer in-car WiFi,but I never tried it. I carry a cellular WiFi hotspot and question the utility of such a unit tied to the car. I certainly wouldn't pick the Equinox over others based on this feature alone.

oilBabe thought the car was comfortable enough to take a nap once we got S of Joliet.

Visibility out of this thing isn't good. It took a while to get the mirrors adjusted. But there is a backup camera and blindspot warning technology, so we didn't make unintended contact with other cars or other obstacles.

Over the 300 ish miles I drove this thing, it returned 28+ MPG according to the display in the center of the instrument cluster. It provides an average since last reset, plus your average over the last 50 miles when going through the menu.

The oil life indicator indicated about 25% life remaining after I drove it the ~300 miles from ORD to STL.

Unlike the Fusion, the proximity key was intuitive and I was able to lock and unlock the doors by pressing a button on the door handle.

Unlike other cars I've experienced, the rear doors also have buttons. Neither my Mazda, my Nissan, nor my Toyota have this feature, so that could be useful if one wanted to put things in the back seat before getting in the driver seat, or getting kids into their car seats before getting behind the wheel.

Took me a mile or two to get accustomed to the cruise control. Unlike other players, where the + and - buttons will set the initial speed, only one of them will set the speed. I believe that is the (-) button. I believe the (+) button will only resume a pre-set speed.

On the backside of the wheel one finds the volume and the stations/track buttons to manipulate the volume and what station or track from your media you are using. No labels on the wheel that I could see in the dark. Discovered this (as it was Columbus day) by feeling the buttons on the back of the wheel and pressing them to see what happens.

The car had 217xx miles on it and was free of squeaks and rattles. It had wireless charging in the binnacle under the radio / hvac stack, but neither of us had phones that take advantage of the technology.

Being a rental, no moon roof was found.

In back, seems there was plenty of room for luggage for 4 or 5 for a long weekend. Might have a hard time getting a weeks worth for such a crew unless it's all guys and they are willing to reuse some clothes during the week.

The vehicle had good road manners. As I said before, I couldn't tell you how many gears the trans-axle had as I didn't even notice it shifting. It didn't make too much noise. I didn't really call on rapid acceleration. Ample power for two adults and weekend carry-on luggage to travel between 70-80 MPH. Tach indicated just over 2000 RPMs while cruising, so the engine wasn't taxed at that clip.

It was easy to park and the large screen in the infotainment system gave a good view behind the car during backing. However, after 1am, there wasn't a lot of other cars to worry about during our last stop just south of Springfield for a bathroom, some coffee and some chocolate to keep me awake for the last 90 minutes of driving. It must have been drama free as oilBabe slept during the Springfield pit stop.

I refueled in STL just before turning in the car and it took just over 11 gallons for the ~300 miles I drove. Not as good as we get with the RAV4, but I think this is a bigger vehicle and I pushed it a bit harder than I drive the Toyota.

I still prefer the Rav4 over this. I think oilBabe was impressed. She thought it was comfortable enough to sleep from Joliet to home, so it served its purpose.

She made it to work by 8am on Tuesday and I got up between 8:30 and 9:00am after 5 hours of sleep, to get showered, get parts for the days service calls, and head from our home in IL to Avis in STL to return this car and pickup my '99 MGM we left parked at the airport.

Not sure I'd buy one, but wouldn't hesitate to rent another one to carry around 4 adults over a weekend away.

It was probably the 1.5 turbo, the 2.0 is usually in higher trim models and would have had a ton of power.

The 1.5 is ok for regular driving, but if you floor it, there isn't much difference between floored and 30% throttle. That was in an 18' Malibu I drove.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
It was probably the 1.5 turbo, the 2.0 is usually in higher trim models and would have had a ton of power.

The 1.5 is ok for regular driving, but if you floor it, there isn't much difference between floored and 30% throttle. That was in an 18' Malibu I drove.

You are probably right. Which means it would have the 6A and not the 9A trans-axle.

It got us home so we both kept our jobs. Better than what AA was doing for us that evening.

Thanks

Yea..I checked it out. The two things I didn't like was rer visibility and lackof power. The 2.0 would be great.

I snagged one on a recent trip, it was a base LS with the 1.5. I thought it was a nice riding and driving vehicle, solidly built and had a decent amount of power around town. After logging 600 miles I had no complaints and thought it was a solid choice for a small CUV.

How to tell if the Equinox is a 1.5T or 2.0T is the tranny.
The 1.5T has a 6 spd with a regular console shifter as we know them.
The 2.0T has the 9 spd with a push button console shifter.

In its sister vehicle, the GMC Terrain, there is ONLY the 9 spd push button tranny with either engine.

I'm leasing an '18 Equinox 1.5T LT AWD now. Yes the engine is anemic: .. "Most drivers will find the turbo 1.5-liter as sleepy as we did, and its buzzy nature at high revs serves to exacerbate the feeling that it's struggling to build speed. Driven sedately around town, it feels far less lethargic, and when cruising on the freeway the engine settles into a relaxed, even stride." -- quote from Car and Driver, they really nailed the description. MPG is pretty good though. I'm getting above 30 MPG in mixed driving.

Handling is where the Equinox shines. The 2018's chassis is brand new, not based on the old Equinox at all, and its apparent.

Had mine a year, zero problems here. The Buick Envision, which shares a platform and is fully made in China, actually is #1 in JD Powers first year reliability. (The old stye Equinox holds #1 for Dependability over the most recent 3 years, a '15 model.) Those rankings are for the Compact SUV class. My '18 Equinox was made in Mexico, although some come from Canada too.

Fuel dilution? I don't think mine has in 1 year & 10,000 miles so far. Haven't heard of problems like the massive Honda CRV 1.5T (& same engine in Civics) problems.

What a lot of people might not know is how much GM got the mass out of this new D2XX platform. The 2WD model 1.5T weighs only 3,274 lbs, and this is a roomy vehicle.

Also, wonder how much fun (or not!) is the Equinox with the 1.6 L LH7 Turbo-diesel I4 ? Only 137 hp, but with diesel torque. Paired with a 6-speed like the 1.5T gasser, yet the diesel's flat torque curve means it should work just fine, not needing the 9-speed like other engines and trim levels.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
In its sister vehicle, the GMC Terrain, there is ONLY the 9 spd push button tranny with either engine.

Yet, you'd think the Terrain 1.5T 9-speed would beat the Equinox 1.5T 6-speed in MPG. Equinox is actually better, slightly, here. I thought 9-speeds helped with MPG.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4637463/1/2018_Chevrolet_Equinox_LT_1.5T
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4519647/1

Last edited:
That settles it, it was the 1.5T with a 6A as it had a standard column shifter.

Thank goodness too, the rotary knob on the 2017 Fusion Hybrid was about to drive me batty.

All Chevy Equinox vehicles have a traditional console shifter regardless of 1.5T, 2.0T, or Diesel, The push button console shifter is currently not offered in the Equinox, That is a Terrain only thing for now.

Here is a link to a review of a 2018 Equinox with the 2.0. Interior photo shows traditional console shifter:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-re...first-drive-faster-trips-soccer-practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back