2018 Camry Hybrid SE Tire Recommendations?

Looking for some thoughts/opinions for this particular application. The Camry Hybrid SE runs P235/45R18's and is due for tires by this fall. Still running the original tires (only have about 28K on the car) which came equipped with Hankook Kinergy GT's. They are just about shot.

This tire has done fairly well, but doesn't seem to grip very well on dry pavement since new. Sometimes coming to a stop the ABS/traction will kick in and feel like you are driving over ice and increase the stopping distance. Thinking a more grippy tire may help here. Overall though, the wet performance has been quite good with this tire. Tire noise has been fairly good, as well. No weird droning or other issues.

So we have a beater that will handle most of the deep snow/ice driving when needed, so ideally I'm after a quiet tire that has respectable dry/wet traction primarily. Just having OK snow performance is fine, again. I do want an all-season type tire, though. No dedicated summer tire.

In a nutshell:

1.) Must be a quiet tire for freeway driving
2.) Good/Excellent dry and wet traction
3.) Snow performance can be just OK
4.) Would like them to last at least a solid 30,000 miles.
5.) Somewhat fuel efficient (Don't really want the MPG penalty of say the CrossClimate2 of 5-7% (or so I've read...) if I can help it, but not out of the question if that is a fan favorite).
6.) Looking to buy/install at Discount Tire, ideally.

So what tire would you suggest?

This tire has done fairly well, but doesn't seem to grip very well on dry pavement since new. Sometimes coming to a stop the ABS/traction will kick in and feel like you are driving over ice and increase the stopping distance.
That's a driver issue, not a tire problem. Assuming not in an emergency situation, if your abs has to come on with dry pavement, you're braking way too late and thus having to brake too hard.

in the past 2 years i put continental pure contact and yokohama yk740 from discount tire on my 2013 vw passat s and 2014 toyota yaris l, respectively. based on my own research cooper cs5 was a runner-up.

Last edited:
General Altimax 365AW

Tire Rack says you can go down to 16 in wheels with no problem. The 16" tire size will be 205/60-16. You will get better mpg and a smoother ride too :)

I suggest the Radius brand wheels, as they are made in Italy. Pair them with the General Altimax 365AW 205/60-16. The package will come pre-mounted and ready to bolt on to your car.

Alternatively, you could find base model takeoffs at the junkyard and put new tires on those.

Also, most hybrids come with LRR tires which are designed for economy not grip.
Not always the case for Toyota, especially when it's not using a more economical wheel & tire combo.

My hybrid came with Bridgestone Alenza SPORT A/S... not an Ecopia.

back to the OP.

You have Continental PureContact LS

I haven't noticed much of a mileage drop on the Michelin CC2's, but there is a definite hum from the tires from the tread pattern.

If you want to venture outside of TireRack/discount tire, you can try Nokian Tyres ONE (from Simpletire.com)
or.... as a value choice from DT

Last edited:
That's a driver issue, not a tire problem. Assuming not in an emergency situation, if your abs has to come on with dry pavement, you're braking way too late and thus having to brake too hard.

No, more like a traction control / tire problem. Trust me, I'm not slamming on brakes or anything. Rough/bumpy pavement when coming to a stop makes traction control or ABS or whatever kick on and feel like your driving on ice for a second or two. I figure better tires can help prevent this in the odd times it does occur. This is light/moderate braking, at best, when it occurs. I assume the tire is not gripping enough so it thinks you are in a slide, so ABS kicks in.

My dad's Prius did the same thing... I have no issue with any other vehicle I have ever driven.

General RT45 will last a lot longer than 30k , likely 50k+ and hit your points. 30k out of tires is expensive way to own a vehicle especially with fixed mounting and balancing costs.

Last edited:
So as an update, I ended up with Goodyear ComfortDrive and had them installed a few weeks back at Discount Tire. Got an instant rebate through Discount Tire ($110 or so?) plus a MIR from Goodyear for $75.

Really like how the tire is performing thus far. Very quiet, drives nice and straight on the freeway and handles standing water well. I have not triggered the ABS/Traction Control on dry pavement as I had done before with the tires that came with the car as I mentioned in my original post.

We will see how they do long term, but so far so good!

Back