2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia - 1yr/17k mile Review

Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by atikovi
6/32 is nearly worn out so you were going to replace them anyway. Or couldn't find a used tire for the next 5-10,000 miles? Or shaved a new one?

As you mention, 6/32ths is getting low. I was waiting on the 4/32ths mark for a new set so the nail just accelerated things a bit.

Shaved would've been an option if the rest had more meat, being halfway worn however, that would've been a waste.

Again, this isn't an Alfa annoyance but rather a cost to owning an AWD.

Depending on the AWD system, you sometimes have some 2-3/32's to play with so if you got a new tire, you'd only have to shave it down to 8-9/32's.

I've been getting my tires at Costco which has a road hazard warranty. Forgot to ask them what happens on an AWD vehicle.

Good evening, folks.

... and once for a valve stem replacement....
[/list]

Do you mean for a valve stem seal replacement?

That'd mean timing chain off, lift cams off, pressurize the cylinder at issue while at TDC, remove keeper, washer, spring(s), etc..., and probably change four stem seals... as how could you isolate which of the four it is?

Do I have this right. Please provide more info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
Living dangerously with a euro turbo car no doubt. Im glad i bought a Buick Regal Tourx, a quality AMERICAN vehicle!
27.gif

LOL.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Good evening, folks.

... and once for a valve stem replacement....
[/list]

That'd mean timing chain off, lift cams off, pressurize the cylinder at issue while at TDC, remove keeper, washer, spring(s), etc..., and probably change four stem seals... as how could you isolate which of the four it is?

Do I have this right. Please provide more info.

I took it to mean TIRE valve stem, but if your impression is the accurate one, then yeah...WOW. That's definitely in the "I won't be buying that vehicle based on this review..." category.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Sorry, but hearsay parroted by owners of low-rent penalty boxes ALWAYS trumps actual ownership experiences.

Indeed. Too many here simply regurgitate what they read in some car rag.

OP, glad you bought what excited you personally. Thanks for some perspective.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Love the Giulia. Great report!

My 2018 Wrangler, which was early production of the new JL, has been to the dealership twice in two years and 23k miles. Once was for an update to the radio to get off-road pages. The other was to replace a bad steering dampener. The second dampener failed, so I put an aftermarket Fox dampener on there. Guess what? FCA reimbursed me for it! So much for terrible customer service, right?

I didn't count one trip to the dealer to have a Mopar 2" lift installed. That was an add-on, not a maintenance or repair item. The lift has been awesome, btw.

Keep us posted on that car. I was in Rome when it was announced as North American Car of the Year and the Italians were going nuts over it. They were just overjoyed to see that!

I'm still angry that my 19 trailhawk that was promised off-road pages STILL doesnt have them.. one of the reasons I bought the 2019.

Find a Jeep forum and contact JeepCares. They really helped me and pushed the right buttons to get it done. It took a good while, but they kept at it. FCA had originally told early Wrangler buyers that we were not going to be able to get them. I don't know if the initial software didn't like the early hardware, but ultimately, they made an update. Funny, though. I had a big bug up my butt about it and now that I have them, I love them, but don't actually use them much. I do think I'll use the pitch/yaw screen on big off road trips, but mostly I stay on the Android Auto screen with Waze. Lol.

Love the Cherokee Trailhawk, btw!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser
We need pics of this beauty
smile.gif

Ha, crazily enough I've not taken any pics in her glory. Crazy I know!

This is from when I signed the papers.

[Linked Image]

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEAUTIFUL!

Many more miles to enjoy!

Now, my "scratch my head" moment: How are you dealing with low profile tires on IL roads?

I wish you continued happiness with the vehicle.

Seems illegal that you can't rest the oil change light yourself. Maybe you can buy a scanner that will reset it at home. Paying to reset the light every oil change is going to add up over time.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Living dangerously with a euro turbo car no doubt. Im glad i bought a Buick Regal Tourx, a quality AMERICAN vehicle!
27.gif

Haha, you ARE joking right?

I doubt it.

Thank you for the great review!

I can second the sentiment that it has been a very reliable car! Yes, I own a Stelvio, but pretty much the same thing.

My experience...

One trip to the dealer for scheduled oil change - was free of charge, and everything seemed to go well.

I am due for some recall work in the order of a computer flash due to a gas gauge issue...and I need to have a trim panel in the backseat looked at...but otherwise perfect.

My bride has been averaging right at 25.2 mpg on her roughly 18 mile commute. We are super happy with that.

I am ecstatic at the power and handling for an AWD SUV. I don't think you could choose better. That coupled with the mpg we are getting and reliability, and we could not be happier.

Now...if I have to pay ANYTHING to reset the light when I change the oil next (we only have ~13,000 miles) I will be pi55ed!!!

27.gif

Haha, this is great!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I've been getting my tires at Costco which has a road hazard warranty. Forgot to ask them what happens on an AWD vehicle.

If their policy is like Discount Tire's certificates then it'll only help you on the affected tire.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

Tire valve stem. More specifically the TPMS seal.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Now...if I have to pay ANYTHING to reset the light when I change the oil next (we only have ~13,000 miles) I will be pi55ed!!!

I wish you luck, but I'd bank on paying for the reset. And check before you leave the dealer, the dash counter should reset to 9,600 miles. It took them two attempts to get it back to the "fresh oil" number.

A very similar Guilia is often parked in our parking lot. I can't resist walking by it and admiring it. The only thing which consoles me is that there are no clover leaf badges on it. Otherwise, i would be thinking "why didn't I buy that 4 door Ferrari instead of the frumpy little electric rail gun car?"

That brings the question which I had always wanted to ask a Guilia owner.

Why didn't you go for the ultimate aka QF? I mean once you have conditioned your mind to take the plunge for the Guilia, why not go all the way? At least that is how I convinced myself when I went complete nuts in my own purchase. I mean these type of purchases have no logical rationale behind them. They are strictly emotional purchases. I mean nobody *logically justify* anything other than a beigembile such as CamAcord for 4-dr family sedan.

So what stopped *you* from diving head first for the QF?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
for the record....

I really considered one before I bought my CX5. They're more athletic (0-60 in 5.4 vs 6.2, and 1/4 mile in 14.1@98 vs. 14.7@95, and 0-100 in 14.7 vs 16.3), and handle more neutral (skidpad 0.84 vs. 0.79), but I am still not sold on FCA reliability. In 3-5 years, we will see how those Stelvios are holding up, and if they're doing as well as the Mazda's and Toyota's, and PEV's aren't where I need them to be, yet, I'd definitely consider one!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vikas
So what stopped *you* from diving head first for the QF?

Frankly speaking I wanted a strong performing and balanced year round daily driver. Where I'm at, I would never consider driving a Quad in the winter. Not only from the salt factor, but you're talking about a lot of power to the rear wheels in slick conditions. If I were in a Southern state or in an area where salt wasn't used and the roads didn't get too slick for too long, then yes I would have considered it. The other car I was considering was a 392 Daytona, but for the same reasons chose not to.

Secondly, cost. Jumping into a Quad not only adds $20-30k in sticker price, you're also increasing insurance prices, gas intake, maintenance costs, etc. For a daily driver in my area it just wouldn't have been worth it.

Back