2017 Tundra Rental Review

Took a trip out to Phoenix to visit family about a week and a half ago. Had plans with some of my brothers and a buddy of mine to get an Airbnb. Chose a place that was pretty far north and from what I read had rough roads so decided four wheel drive was a good idea. Came across this beauty on Turo for a much better deal than a traditional car rental place.

I will just say right out the gate, I understand why people really like these trucks. I found it very pleasant to drive. Surprisingly smooth and did well off road.

The Truck:

2017 SR5 w/ leather and sunroof, 4x4, 5.7. 94,000 miles. Small lift and larger tires . Appeared to be very well maintained and I really liked the color combination

Highs:

- very smooth on road and compliant off road.
- enjoyed the driving Dynamics, steering feel and power delivery. Very smooth powertrain
- cavernous cabin! Really enjoyed that especially with four grown adults.

Lows:

- fuel economy reputation is on point. Did 425 miles total, I would say over 90% highway. I also was very easy on it tried to keep speed reasonable and no wide open throttle. Overall MPG was 15.1. it was to be expected but still kind of surprising compared to trucks I've had and used before.

- the seats on this particular one, SR5 with leather I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but they were quite firm.

- sunroof had a lot of wind noise if the cover was open. If the cover was closed none at all which I thought was surprising that it could hide that much wind noise

- I thought the interior could use some improvements but I know they have addressed some of that with the new generation.

Final thoughts:

Would I buy this truck? Absolutely yes. It is a pleasure to drive, easy to use and got to love that proven powertrain. Now if I was doing quite a few miles everyday I would probably not go for this truck or at least have a commuter vehicle. This is my first experience with this generation Tundra outside of a test drive, and I say kudos to Toyota for building a great truck 🍻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-075719.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122-075719.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20221122-075741.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122-075741.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 30
Iowa to Arizona = some places in the middle of no where
6 year old rental vehicle with 94,000 miles=NO THANK YOU.

Yikes, I wouldn’t want to be driving someone’s 6 year old rental.
Y’all are thinking in terms of domestic truck miles.

The Tundra, 2nd-Gen Tacoma, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser are probably the most reliable vehicles in the world. Yes, in the WORLD.

94,000 miles with a domestic and you’re already looking at changing some under hood components (alternator, starter, power steering pump, water pump, etc).

94,000 miles and a Toyota is just getting broken in

94k is "high miles"? This ain't 1970 anymore. I wouldn't expect domestic or foreign at 6yr/94k to need much of anything--well, nothing, because that's not old and that's not high miles.

Maybe a battery and of course tires... I suppose brakes too. But beyond that?

My six year old Tundra is spotless. Inside and out. Flawless mechanically.

It’s in far better condition than most of the several hundred rental vehicles I’ve experienced.

Some people are stuck in the past, the distant past, when 100,000 miles meant a car was on its last legs.

My six year old Tundra is spotless. Inside and out. Flawless mechanically.

It’s in far better condition than most of the several hundred rental vehicles I’ve experienced.

Some people are stuck in the past, the distant past, when 100,000 miles meant a car was on its last legs.

We have a six year old RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 HEMI with something like 46K miles on the odometer. I always took good care of it and it's spotless. I'm confident we'll get many many more miles out of it. Kudos to you for taking excellent care of your vehicles! :)(y)

It's not a pickup truck, but all of that stuff except for the water pump on my 265K mile 2004 Crown Vic is original. And the water pump didn't fail until about 250K.
That’s great.

256,550 currently on my 2007 Tacoma PreRunner V6, and the only things underhood I’ve replaced are battery, serpentine belt, an idler pulley, spark plugs, and air filters.

I love my 2020 Tundra and I will drive for a long time. 100k mile is nothing especially when I think about how I drive it - lots of low end torque means it lives a pretty relaxed life below 3K RPM.

Y’all are thinking in terms of domestic truck miles.
I think maybe you should look at some domestic truck miles. I camp with a guy who has a 6.0 GM truck with 328,000 miles on it still towing his travel trailer. Water pump, plugs, wires and brakes. I have a 190,000 mile 97 K1500 in the driveway. That statement seems arbitrary.

Have to laugh at the comments focusing on the mileage of the truck. Seriously you think 94,000 is a lot!? Also it looks like a conclusion was made as far as where I drove it I said I drove 425 miles total meaning I rented the truck in Arizona and drove around Arizona not to and fro. However I would have driven this truck across the world and been totally comfortable with it!

wow...didn't even think this would be possible...renting a nearly 6yr old vehicle with almost 100k....say what...

I love my 2020 Tundra and I will drive for a long time. 100k mile is nothing especially when I think about how I drive it - lots of low end torque means it lives a pretty relaxed life below 3K RPM.
low-end torque?? nothing special.... it's that 4:30 rear axle that springs it to life...

I think maybe you should look at some domestic truck miles. I camp with a guy who has a 6.0 GM truck with 328,000 miles on it still towing his travel trailer. Water pump, plugs, wires and brakes. I have a 190,000 mile 97 K1500 in the driveway. That statement seems arbitrary.
I can attest to that. Just made a thread couple weeks ago, friend has a '13 Sierra hd. The 6.0 has 305k and runs like a top! He's a Mechanic and maintains it very well.

Whatever...it doesn't drive like RX 350 or Soul which require a whole lot more throttle and RPM to get moving.
I found mine to have hefty throttle tip in. Never mapped it, but it sure seemed to pour it quickly.

Back