2017 Toyota Sienna LE AWD

On 25 July my friend's son's '09 Forester became too small when their 2nd kid arrived.
The lad had zeroed in on a Sienna van and I always help with legwork if I can.
I read all I could find in a hurry.
He lives 120 miles north of me. The few low-mileage, AWD Siennas near him instantly vanished off the dealership lots.
Seriously, we couldn't tell if they were just selling fast or if some ads were bait 'n switch lures.

He read of the jerkiness exhibited by the newer 8 speed transmission and initially preferred a 2015 or 2016 with the proven 6 speed.
I too had read of the 2 transmissions' differences. We also read about the reprogramming Toyota had issued.

After several "too lates" he located a 2017 sporting ~25,000 miles about 30 miles south of me and asked me to go test drive it.
Considering "automotive experts" nit-pickiness and Toyota's update, we figured an improvement was very possible.
I told him to call, get a name and to make certain the van was actually there.

The vehicle drove and shifted beautifully. I got it good and warmed up.
Toyota linked the AWD feature with rear captains chairs. The third row seating seemed usable and solid.
The AWD versions feature Bridgestone RFTs (Run Flat Tires) which are cited by a few as rough riding. I don't think they are.
The 10 spoke alloys are tastefully designed. Vehicles so equipped come with no spare.

The AC is strong and has an effective rear circuit.
The sliding doors' windows roll down about half-way and have retractable blinds; AA+ Toyota.
The rear hatch isn't motorized on this trim level. That presents no inconvenience.

It's snowy white with grey cloth interior. It has a groovy looking dashboard with an appropriately sized info screen. I detest large screens in cars.
There are 2 glove boxes and all the van's books were in one of them-UNHEARD OF.

I was done. The salesman and buyer took to the phone. The lad is coming down "early Monday" by bus and I'll bring him the last 30 miles.
I'll stick around 'til I know the keys are in his hand.

I need to learn the transmission's model number (2GR-FKS ?), what fluid it takes and to find any Sienna owners' clubs.

It'll be their job to throw Cheerios and sand about the interior.

Last edited:
Transmission fluid: Toyota WS. It is safe choice, but I will say there are better fluids. Apparently among Toyota owners Amsoil is favorite for transmission.
Front is transaxle, and rear differential takes 75W85 GL5. I used RedLine as well as 75W90 GL5 in transfer case.
2GR-FKS as stated is engine code. It is dual direct and port injection. Unlike 2GR-FE in my Sienna, spark plug change in FKS is every 60k instead of 120k. Tell your friend's son to use strictly OE spark plugs as he does not want to do that job again few thousands miles later.
Tell him to keep tire pressure at least 42psi. Sienna will eat tires like crazy, and 42psi will mitigate problem a bit. Bridgestone DriveGuard tires that come on Sienna are RFT as you stated, improvement over previous Bridgestone RFT tires which were abysmal regarding comfort. Still. Michelin, Continental and Pirelli are better options. I will probably get 20k out of my DriveGuard's and then I am moving to regular tires. I haul spare tire anyway as I go to places often where tire shops are scares or finding that size might be a problem. So, tell him to plan for short tire lifespan, and to be aware of pressure. Now, I drive my cars hard, regardless is it my BMW or Sienna. I just got back today from Durango, CO, from some mountain biking with family, and I was pushing this minivan so hard over Wolf Creek pass that I could hear tires squealing. So, if he drives slower, he might get 5k more.
It is probably most practical minivan due to AWD. That seriously opens possibilities. As I said I went to Durango to do some mountain biking and beside obvious advantage of AWD in winter, I found it useful these last few days in dirt roads there. Limit is though very low clearance especially if he installs hitch.

Back