2017 Toyota Corolla SE rental experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How were the driving dynamics? No hatch no deal for me. Limited versatility.

The 2012 Kia Forte Sedan was BY FAR the most refined, gripe free sub compact ive driven. I don't know if they've "ruined them" with the redesign.

Though likely a fall apart car, I really enjoyed a Fiesta rental I had with the maligned automated manual - it didn't sap power like a slushbox and shifts were quick - also - MUCH nicer and stable than a MAZDA 2.

BTW, I drive hard and fast - I don't just roll around like a dope.

I didn't push it since it's a Corolla..
smile.gif

The electronic steering was light and easy, pretty fair turning radius, and not too much body roll in turns. I can't imagine anyone trying to race one of these or even drive it aggressively. It isn't built for that.

And funny enough, before I picked up the car, I was hoping they'd have a newer Focus or Fiesta that I could rent as I like how peppy those are.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How were the driving dynamics? No hatch no deal for me. Limited versatility.

The 2012 Kia Forte Sedan was BY FAR the most refined, gripe free sub compact ive driven. I don't know if they've "ruined them" with the redesign.

Though likely a fall apart car, I really enjoyed a Fiesta rental I had with the maligned automated manual - it didn't sap power like a slushbox and shifts were quick - also - MUCH nicer and stable than a MAZDA 2.

BTW, I drive hard and fast - I don't just roll around like a dope.

I didn't push it since it's a Corolla..
smile.gif

The electronic steering was light and easy, pretty fair turning radius, and not too much body roll in turns. I can't imagine anyone trying to race one of these or even drive it aggressively. It isn't built for that.

And funny enough, before I picked up the car, I was hoping they'd have a newer Focus or Fiesta that I could rent as I like how peppy those are.

At 7/10ths it isnt bad.

i rented a corolla se last month in san fran. the sport wheels looked out of place, weak lumbar support in driver's seat, cvt was lazy, looks were too busy. the elantra se that i rented last year in las vegas was all around better. why cant toyota, across the corolla spectrum, simply replace the cvt and 4sp a/t with its own venerable 5sp a/t and be done with it?

Originally Posted By: jstert
i rented a corolla se last month in san fran. the sport wheels looked out of place, weak lumbar support in driver's seat, cvt was lazy, looks were too busy. the elantra se that i rented last year in las vegas was all around better. why cant toyota, across the corolla spectrum, simply replace the cvt and 4sp a/t with its own venerable 5sp a/t and be done with it?

CVT's are for maximizing fuel economy. That's why companies use CVT's. Corolla does have an available 6-speed manual in some trims and regional markets

I think it's interesting that the Corolla sedan and the Corolla iM supposedly drive considerably different and Toyota made the effort to differentiate the two versus just a sedan and hatchback version of the same thing. The iM is much less a Scion-like car with the Corolla badge.

It looks like the 6 speed manual would be the deal killer for me because the reviews make it sound like the 5 speed in my old 2003 Corolla. Ropey, long throw, imprecise...the only thing they didn't add was "occasional 2nd gear grind" which I'm sure is there somewhere. While I get the CVT idea, I agree with the comment of why can't Toyota put a competitive manual in these cars if they're going to build them with manuals every year anyway. Other makes with the same take rate on manual transmissions don't seem to have this continual problem.

The cons list seems a little pretentious being filled with obvious little non issues. (Only ONE 12v outlet?, Piano black finish garnering mistrust). You'd think that the Corolla was almost perfect with that tepid attempt at criticism. And it's amazing how "backup camera standard" or standard safety equipment in general makes it into the 'review' of a rental car. So odd that that specific point is one the company's marketing dept is really driving hard in their ads, so strange it's one of the first points in this casual rental review.
21.gif
Backup cameras are widelytavailable, and many as standard equipment. It's how you buy IIHS safety points. I mean, citing special financing offers is about the only way to make this one any more suspect.

How about we hear more about how incompetent it is by design, you know, going down the road, like cars are supposed to do? To say you didn't push it, because 'well, it's a Corolla' - what does that mean?? Is that a pro, a con or an excuse?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The cons list seems a little pretentious being filled with obvious little non issues. (Only ONE 12v outlet?, Piano black finish garnering mistrust). You'd think that the Corolla was almost perfect with that tepid attempt at criticism. And it's amazing how "backup camera standard" or standard safety equipment in general makes it into the 'review' of a rental car. So odd that that specific point is one the company's marketing dept is really driving hard in their ads, so strange it's one of the first points in this casual rental review.
21.gif
Backup cameras are widelytavailable, and many as standard equipment. It's how you buy IIHS safety points. I mean, citing special financing offers is about the only way to make this one any more suspect.

How about we hear more about how incompetent it is by design, you know, going down the road, like cars are supposed to do? To say you didn't push it, because 'well, it's a Corolla' - what does that mean?? Is that a pro, a con or an excuse?
lol.gif

If you don't like the review, you are free to close the browser and move on. I'm not a professional automotive journalist, and the things I review on a car are things that I care about.

No need to be a jerk about this.

The previous gen Corolla has another 12V outlet inside the center console. It's real easy to miss. Wonder if the new one does as well?

Personally I'm not to keen on glossy dashboards, and I prefer the simplicity of the dial vent and A/C controls, but I realize that this is a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for the review!

I know the Accord has glossy black accents inside. I will guess that another 12V outlet is in the bottom of the console. That way the device can stay hidden. Looks like they outsmarted some of the drivers. Consumer Reports gives a good, no nonsense review of the car. Bottom line is they recommend it. Resale is high because it's a quality car that's desired in the used car world.

How am I being a jerk, or is that what you think critical thinking is?

You got to keep in mind these reviews are all by "arm chair reviewers" and you need to think about them as such.

On BITOG-Hyundais, Kias, and Subarus are all at a disadvantage because they are Hyundais, Kias and Subarus.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
IMO it was very thoughtful for the OP to do the review and he did a good job.

I agree, thanks OP.

Originally Posted By: CKN

You got to keep in mind these reviews are all by "arm chair reviewers" and you need to think about them as such.

On BITOG-Hyundais, Kias, and Subarus are all at a disadvantage because they are Hyundais, Kias and Subarus.

I know I know. It's just the sheer, unbridled bias gets so stupid around here sometimes. I'd love to reply with a "great job, thanks for posting" but I can't if it comes across as the opposite. He didn't even care to address the questions for clarity, he just basically said "if you don't like it, leave". He's only looking for a "great job, awesome car, thanks for posting" apparently.
21.gif

I mean, if you're gonna write a review of anything, try a bit of objectivity.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Physically, it's a Corolla. Not much has changed since these became appliance cars back in the 90s, but I think that's the entire point of this car. It's simple, straight forward, and adequate in every aspect.
Cons:

I know I know. It's just the sheer, unbridled bias gets so stupid around here sometimes
try a bit of objectivity.

crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back