2017 Subaru 2.5 0w20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have owned a number of Subarus. If 0w20 is specified, I prefer Castrol Magnatec for the smoothest sound and the virtually zero usage in a 6k OCI for my Crosstrek. It really quiets the cold start/high revs on a cold morning.

Originally Posted By: WolverineSam
I just picked up 5 qts of Amsoil SS for my '17 Outback 2.5. I keep reading good things about it. It's pricey, but if it's worth it I'll keep on using. I am NOT, however, going to go 15k before changing. I like 5k. I plan to send a used sample of the Mobil 1 that's in there now to Blacksrone, then a sample of the Amsoil in after 5k on it. I added a bottle of Ceratec at the last change, so I'm looking forward to the UOA.

I just ordered a brace of Wix 57055 oil filters. The bypass is 27psi per their specs. I can't find what the bypass pressure is on the Mobil 1 m1-110a I've been using.

Thanks,
I am interested in your opinion of the Ceretec. I believe it is sold by Lubri-Moly.

I just picked up 5 qts of Amsoil SS for my '17 Outback 2.5. I keep reading good things about it. It's pricey, but if it's worth it I'll keep on using. I am NOT, however, going to go 15k before changing. I like 5k. I plan to send a used sample of the Mobil 1 that's in there now to Blacksrone, then a sample of the Amsoil in after 5k on it. I added a bottle of Ceratec at the last change, so I'm looking forward to the UOA.

I just ordered a brace of Wix 57055 oil filters. The bypass is 27psi per their specs. I can't find what the bypass pressure is on the Mobil 1 m1-110a I've been using.

At those intervals I'd to with Amsoil OE which meets the specs recommended in the manual while SS does not (if that matters to you).

Last edited:
Thanks Bluesubie. I appreciate the advice. I looked at that when I ordered, and almost bought that instead. I went with the SS because of the raves it gets in various car forums. I might go OE direction next change.

Edit: when you say the SS doesn't meet specs, how so? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Bluesubie. I appreciate the advice. I looked at that when I ordered, and almost bought that instead. I went with the SS because of the raves it gets in various car forums. I might go OE direction next change.

Edit: when you say the SS doesn't meet specs, how so? Thanks.

Amsoil doesn't get it API or ILSAC certified. Not saying that it's not good oil, it just doesn't carry an API or ILSAC certification like XL and OE does.

It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…;

From Amsoil's FAQ:
Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils?

Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing (see the Ask AMSOIL entry above for more information).

Last edited:
Its weird that Subaru uses 0W20 in the new 2.5's and in my new 2018 Outback 3.6R they recommend a 5W30. All these engines seem to be very durable and we all should follow what Subie says... LOL. I will most likely stick to the recommended 6K OCI in my 3.6...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Its weird that Subaru uses 0W20 in the new 2.5's and in my new 2018 Outback 3.6R they recommend a 5W30. All these engines seem to be very durable and we all should follow what Subie says... LOL. I will most likely stick to the recommended 6K OCI in my 3.6...

Subaru also recommends 5W30 synth for the turbo 2.0ls in the WRX and Forester XT...not sure what the WRX STI rec is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Subaru also recommends 5W30 synth for the turbo 2.0ls in the WRX and Forester XT...not sure what the WRX STI rec is.

STI recommendation is also 5W30. The 3.6R is still the only n/a engine that specs 5W30 and it actually doesn't "require" synthetic.

Last edited:
I've decided to run 5w30 syn in my Crosstrek in the summer. Our Legacy and Tribeca get semi-syn 5w30 at 5k OCIs.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
I've decided to run 5w30 syn in my Crosstrek in the summer. Our Legacy and Tribeca get semi-syn 5w30 at 5k OCIs.

Why?

Subaru still wants 5w30 for turbos and used to spec 5w30 in everything. Other countries including Japan still spec 5w30 for Subarus. They will tend to use less oil and benefit from better protection if you run it hard in the summer when the oil tends to thin in high heat. It's a CAFE thing here. I like 0w20 in the three cooler seasons though because of how high they rev on a cold start.

In my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R owners manual, it states that synthetic 5W30 is the preferred motor oil... For the cost of oil, syn is a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: Russell
I have been using Subaru's 0w20 synthetic oil in my 2017 Outback. The oil has been changed 3 times in about 9,000 miles at my request. I now plan to do my own oil changes in a couple of months.

I plan to use Subarus filter. As this is my first Subaru and not sure what oil to use. I am sure there are plenty of good oils, just not sure what owners like.

I also would like some Idea who makes Subaru's brand of oil. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Try https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milesyn-SXR-0...-of-12/49107857 it's not a bad oil/price for the car/wallet.

The flat six is an old design that has had timing chain problems in the past.
The current flat four is a fairly new design that probably reflects everything that Subaru learned about long timing chains with the flat six.
Subaru engines have been very solid in our experience, so if Subaru recommends a 0W-20 grade for our newer Forester, who am I to say that's too thin?

My local Subaru dealer has a "special" for a buy one get one free full synthetic oil change for $70.00. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, this isn't too bad of a deal for a fully synthetic oil change that averages just $35.00 per change.

For the cost of oil, syn is a no brainer.

Good point. The Aussie's probably get tired of people complaining about "expensive" oil at $30 -$35 for 5 quarts.
55.gif

Subaru also says right on their web site 5w-30 has 3 times less wear than 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back