2017 GM 3.6

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Snippets Ive read imply this is the worst creation yet.

From the driver seat and behind a 7 speed it seems pretty sweet.

What would I need to look out for- and can it ever be a bargain or is it just a pile waiting to bite me hard?

Thanks!

If it's the LGZ/LGX, it's a good engine. Completely redesigned from the LFX.

The 3.6 liter V6 LGX engine is part of GM’s high-feature V6 engine family. It is a clean-sheet design that shares little with the 3.6L six-cylinder LFX engine it replaces, and sets benchmarks for efficiency, refinement and durability compared to its predecessor.

LGX highlights include:

• Aluminum deep-skirt cylinder block from the LFX mill
  • An enlarged bore of 95 mm (compared to 94 mm on the LFX)
  • Enlarged bore centers of 103 mm (compared to 106 mm on the LFX)
  • An all-new cylinder head design
  • A forged steel crankshaft
  • High-strength connecting rods and pistons
  • Oil-spray piston cooling
  • Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Auto Stop-Start system generate fuel savings of 9 percent compared to the 3.6L V6 LFX
  • Improved Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an ‘intermediate park’ feature
  • Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
  • Relocated oil pump under the cylinder block and inside the oil pan
  • Acoustic engine cover
  • Stronger, stiffer aluminum block with increased structure in the bulkheads for superior rigidity
  • Tough, refined rotating assembly with a stiff forged-steel crankshaft, friction-reducing polymer-coated pistons and strong high-copper-content, sinter-forged connecting rods
  • New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
  • All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
  • New, higher-flow cylinder heads that enhance direct injection performance and feature integrated exhaust manifolds
  • Revised, simplified timing drive system with cushioned chain sprockets contributing to quieter engine operation
  • All-new lubrication system with a variable-displacement, two-stage oil pump that enhances efficiency. It is located inside the oil pan, which contributes to greater noise abatement

I believe the timing chain stretch was last an issue with the 3.6 LLT (predecessor of the LFX). The LFX came out in 2012 with the timing chain issues corrected. I haven't heard of it being an issue with the High Feature engines since the LLT.

Thanks I have basically haven't closely followed this engine or any variants, but this mill and rig have a nice running gear.

I really like the 3.6 LFX and six speed auto drivetrain combo in my '18 Impala. I stayed clear of the newer LGX (which was available in the Buicks at the same time I bought my Impala), because I didn't want start/stop or cylinder deactivation.

I really like the 3.6 LFX and six speed auto drivetrain combo in my '18 Impala. I stayed clear of the newer LGX (which was available in the Buicks at the same time I bought my Impala), because I didn't want start/stop or cylinder deactivation.
That parts annoying for sure.

3.6 LFX in my '16 Equinox, zero issues. Maybe consumes a 1/2 qt between OLM indicated changes now at 90k miles. And a couple oz. of that is in the catch can. And my wife surprises a lot of right lane traffic light passers with it LOL

Put 500 miles on it today - Im impressed, it runs hard and cheap.

Rig holds enough gas to make my nor cal la run on 3/4 tank.

It pulls harder everywhere than my Honda J35 everywhere but the very last 1500RPM and is therefore - dare I say it better for everyday running.

(to few Peoples surprise) Its not a smooth though - the chains and number of cams are juuuuust noticeably rougher than the SOHC belt driven honda.

Put 500 miles on it today - Im impressed, it runs hard and cheap.

Rig holds enough gas to make my nor cal la run on 3/4 tank.

It pulls harder everywhere than my Honda J35 everywhere but the very last 1500RPM and is therefore - dare I say it better for everyday running.

(to few Peoples surprise) Its not a smooth though - the chains and number of cams are juuuuust noticeably rougher than the SOHC belt driven honda.
Keep in mind the Ridgeline is a bit heavier and down 30 ponies. Doesn't surprise me the torque curve is better on the Caddy though.

I also saw it won a Wards title at least once but I'm being warned off this by a number of people.

Your reply made me cringe, as I just acquired a meticulously kept, and conservatively driven, 2013 Buick LaCrosse with 75k.

From what I understand, the LFX has a completely revised timing chain setup over it's predecessor. Is this not true?

What kind of longevity can I expect from this engine, given 5k oil changes, with synthetic oil? How's the transmission in these cars?

Thank you

Keep in mind the Ridgeline is a bit heavier and down 30 ponies. Doesn't surprise me the torque curve is better on the Caddy though.
It's also down a gear in the box and is always turning all 4 wheels, where this is 2wd until you switch on 4.

The rigs aren't directly comparable for sure.

Can anyone chime in on the LFX engine introduced in late 2012?

They're said to have corrected the timing chain issue...is it a real fix, or was it a patch up job?

I have a 3.6 in my 2017 GMC Canyon, the LGZ, with 96,000 miles on it. It is a completely redesigned engine from the earlier 3.6 that has a bad rep because of the timing chain design and oil consumption. It is a great engine, good fuel economy, zero oil consumption, has surprising power, and has been trouble free other than having to replace the thermostat. It seems to like Castrol Magnatec (the old formula) or Havoline Full Synthetic in the six quart box. When I ran Mobil 1 it had a cam phaser rattle on a cold start that went away when I switched oils to the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDL
Back