2017 GM 3.6

I have an LFX, same family. 7 years 60k of being driven hard, but 5k oil changes. No oil consumption, no fuel dilution. The only known problem with these were the timing chains, but that got fixed in 2012 when they changed the OLM algorithm. The eaten chains were mostly because people were running 15k oil changes by following the OLM

Reactions: NDL
I have a 3.6 in my 2017 GMC Canyon, the LGZ, with 96,000 miles on it. It is a completely redesigned engine from the earlier 3.6 that has a bad rep because of the timing chain design and oil consumption. It is a great engine, good fuel economy, zero oil consumption, has surprising power, and has been trouble free other than having to replace the thermostat. It seems to like Castrol Magnatec (the old formula) or Havoline Full Synthetic in the six quart box. When I ran Mobil 1 it had a cam phaser rattle on a cold start that went away when I switched oils to the above.
Appreciate the reply; what kind of fuel economy are you getting? It has enough low end torque to be used in the Canyon?

I have an LFX, same family. 7 years 60k of being driven hard, but 5k oil changes. No oil consumption, no fuel dilution. The only known problem with these were the timing chains, but that got fixed in 2012 when they changed the OLM algorithm. The eaten chains were mostly because people were running 15k oil changes by following the OLM
Appreciate the reply, thank you. And I agree that 15k oil change intervals are not beneficial.

Appreciate the reply; what kind of fuel economy are you getting? It has enough low end torque to be used in the Canyon?
My mostly rural/suburban driving gets me around 25 mpg if not towing, but I drive like an old man (because I am one). I don't tow anything heavier than my 15ft fiberglass boat and a 10 ft. utility trailer with my zero turn mower but it tows that with ease. There is plenty of torque for this truck. This engine is tuned different than the car engines. The 8 speed transmission had early problems with shudder that were solved by GM with a different ATF. Once in a while mine will give me a clunky 1-2 shift but after the ATF change it has been trouble free.

You should drive one if you are considering buying one. The 2023 models will only be offered with the 2.7 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder (the same engine that has been offered in the Silverado/Sierra) in three different power ratings depending on which trim level you buy. It is rated at full torque at 1500 rpms and comes with a 10 speed transmission so it should tow well.

My mostly rural/suburban driving gets me around 25 mpg if not towing, but I drive like an old man (because I am one). I don't tow anything heavier than my 15ft fiberglass boat and a 10 ft. utility trailer with my zero turn mower but it tows that with ease. There is plenty of torque for this truck. This engine is tuned different than the car engines. The 8 speed transmission had early problems with shudder that were solved by GM with a different ATF. Once in a while mine will give me a clunky 1-2 shift but after the ATF change it has been trouble free.

You should drive one if you are considering buying one. The 2023 models will only be offered with the 2.7 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder (the same engine that has been offered in the Silverado/Sierra) in three different power ratings depending on which trim level you buy. It is rated at full torque at 1500 rpms and comes with a 10 speed transmission so it should tow well.
I appreciate your time and reply...thank you.

25 mpg's in a midsized truck is very reasonable.

My 2015 Impala 2LZ has the LFX 3.6L VVT.
(Beautiful Burgundy; Black Leather; has all options except the radar cruise-control; & has the 20" factory wheels....)

Maybe I'm a little [email protected] even though it's badged as a "Flex-Fuel" car, it hasn't seen A DROP of Ethanol! I ONLY use Certified Top-Tier Premium from Shell or Holiday stations. I add about 1/3 bottle of SF once a month when gas is @ 1/4 tank. I'm good at polishing too! She looks sharp.....& runs strong & quiet! Although I could care LESS about gas-mileage, it often hits 28mpg!

My Oil practices:
* I've been a Seafoam fan for half of my 62 years!!!
* Have only used only Mobil-1 FULL-Synth Oil, & NEVER more than 5K miles.
* A month or less before an o/c, I put a 1/2-cup of SF into the oil. Sometimes I put a random 1/4-cup in during a 5k interval, but still always do the 1/2-cup regardless.
* Just before a road-trip from Fargo ND to Door-County WI this Oct., I added the 1/2-cup SF.
* I've probably got (internally!!) the cleanest LFX in the upper-Midwest!
* I love this car!!! I'm 6'2" & fit good in it.

Faron

I appreciate your time and reply...thank you.

25 mpg's in a midsized truck is very reasonable.
That is only because he admits to driving like an old man i.e very easy. In real world driving by the average person will barely get you 21mpg

Back