2017 escape engine failure at 50 k

Was getting misfire on 3 took it in after google search and positive for exhaust gases. They claim they are replacing it under warranty with no cost. My question is is the new engine revised in anyway? Ford techs ? Chris?

Darn Fords. A buddy of mine had a bearing failure on his 2017 5.0 engine which was out of warranty and about 59,000 miles. They had to remove the front end to lift out the engine. I am surprised they are replacing it at no cost. My friend bought his brand new and they refused to pay for anything. You are very lucky it will be replaced under warranty. I don't know if the new revised engine would be any better but I would have to believe it could be.

I'm guessing this failure is due to one of Ford's better ideas. That being the slot on the block head gasket surface, right between two closely spaced cylinders.

For those who don't know, old school head gaskets were compressible fiber gaskets, sometimes with a sealant around water passages, and a stainless fire ring around each bore. That fire ring DID NOT completely seal the combustion gasses, but instead was simply able to withstand the heat and pressure. The rest of the gasket surface was tightly compressed and was able to seal the gas pressure. When we started increasing boost to 30PSI or more, the gaskets could no longer contain the pressure and obvious signs of failure existed.

Fast forward to multi layer steel coated gaskets, and the fire ring was expected to seal 100%. What Ford did was reduce the sealing area to about 2mm between the combustion gasses and the water jacket, leading (some speculate) some movement of the mating surface, and to fast failure.

Yes, the new blocks are made differently, there is no slot between the bores (a drilled hole instead) and are far more reliable. In fact, I don't believe there are any cases of failure.

Saw a vid by a Ford tech who explained this whole problem; question is why did they design it wrong in the first place?

I'm guessing this failure is due to one of Ford's better ideas. That being the slot on the block head gasket surface, right between two closely spaced cylinders.

For those who don't know, old school head gaskets were compressible fiber gaskets, sometimes with a sealant around water passages, and a stainless fire ring around each bore. That fire ring DID NOT completely seal the combustion gasses, but instead was simply able to withstand the heat and pressure. The rest of the gasket surface was tightly compressed and was able to seal the gas pressure. When we started increasing boost to 30PSI or more, the gaskets could no longer contain the pressure and obvious signs of failure existed.

Fast forward to multi layer steel coated gaskets, and the fire ring was expected to seal 100%. What Ford did was reduce the sealing area to about 2mm between the combustion gasses and the water jacket, leading (some speculate) some movement of the mating surface, and to fast failure.

Yes, the new blocks are made differently, there is no slot between the bores (a drilled hole instead) and are far more reliable. In fact, I don't believe there are any cases of failure.
Great description. When did they fix the slot? Why were the bores so close to begin with - thermal efficiency I presume?

As Cujet pointed out, the steam passages have been revised. I did a similar engine replacement in an '18 Edge for this reason

I’m glad I got rid of my 2017 Focus RS when I did. It had the 2.3 and I think it even had the wrong gasket (from the Mustang 2.3 but different somehow) leading to very premature failure.

My Mom has a 2017 Escape 2.0 eco boost. It was a late build, so I have a slim hope that it has the updated block. She has about 70k km’s (43k miles) on it now. Mom doesn’t want a new car (she’s 80), so if it blows I’ll have to deal with it then.

Back