2017 Chevy Impala Transmission fluid change.

irv

With 50,000 km's on my wife's car now, I want to change out the fluid. (we purchased it used) Is this simply a drain and fill or is there a pan with filter(s) inside that can be changed out as well?

I've never really paid attention while under there doing an oil change but my gut tells me, based on the little info I have been able to find, that that isn't possible. You simply drain out the old and fill with the new. Anyone know for sure? (17 Impala with the 3.6 engine)

Attachments

• Sue's car.JPG
    Sue's car.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 48
I believe there is a filter. Most GM transmissions have a seperate filter. Dexron VI fluid or similar - Maxlife is what fluid you should use.

my malibu didnt have a pan ,just a drain bolt , i would be surprised if your impala has a pan , i used gm dex 6 and was a little pricey , i recently saw a post of someone buying a dex 6 valvoline that was a very good price, if you do some searches i am sure you would come acrosed it

i drained mine , filled up then did a flush until new came out of hose , hose disconnected from behind front drivers tire , super simple

im thinking the maxlife is a multivehicle , which i stayed away from

If this the 3.6 with the 6 speed it should be really easy to change, there's a drain bolt and the filler cap has a dipstick built in. The filter is not serviceable until rebuild I believe, so just do 3 back to back drain and fills if you want to swap all of it.

If this the 3.6 with the 6 speed it should be really easy to change, there's a drain bolt and the filler cap has a dipstick built in. The filter is not serviceable until rebuild I believe, so just do 3 back to back drain and fills if you want to swap all of it.
3.6 6sp. From the bit of reading and info I could find, I concur, not a serviceable filter unless the whole unit is removed. Curious, as I only plan on a drain and fill, how far apart, mileage wise, should I wait until I do the 2nd and 3rd? I was planning on doing this once this fall then again in the spring, maybe, but I also thought with 6.3 Ltr's to refill, I might be OK just doing this every 30-50,000 km's? I was planning on using MaxLife Dex6/multipurpose sny as I've heard good reviews. Thoughts?

Thanks. (y)

Reactions: JC1
3.6 6sp. From the bit of reading and info I could find, I concur, not a serviceable filter unless the whole unit is removed. Curious, as I only plan on a drain and fill, how far apart, mileage wise, should I wait until I do the 2nd and 3rd? I was planning on doing this once this fall then again in the spring, maybe, but I also thought with 6.3 Ltr's to refill, I might be OK just doing this every 30-50,000 km's? I was planning on using MaxLife Dex6/multipurpose sny as I've heard good reviews. Thoughts?

Thanks. (y)
Sounds like a good plan

Reactions: irv

Thanks. (y)
At 50kkm , one D&F should be fine, I thought you said miles, if it were 50k miles it'd be more apt to do a few if it hadn't been serviced. Every 30,000-50,000kms sounds like a good plan.

Thanks. (y)
I would change it soon and then change it come the spring and then once again next fall. Then plan on doing it every 30-40k kms.

If this was a keeper, I'd use the fluid it came with, Dex6. Multipurpose fluid is a compromise made to satisfy many different manufactures. It wont kill your transmission but it may cause shifting issues you didn't have before.
I just realized Valvoline makes a specific Dex6 fluid ""Valvoline 822405-6PK VV370-CS12 DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart"" which I will likely purchase instead of the multipurpose. Its a tad cheaper as well on Amazon. I will check first with my bud at Carquest to see if they carry it and for what price before Amazon.

I just realized Valvoline makes a specific Dex6 fluid ""Valvoline 822405-6PK VV370-CS12 DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart"" which I will likely purchase instead of the multipurpose. Its a tad cheaper as well on Amazon. I will check first with my bud at Carquest to see if they carry it and for what price before Amazon.
Nearly $13 a quart? Ouch. Not sure if they ship to Canada free but half the price, https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9...ocphy=9007783&hvtargid=pla-370492990018&psc=1 or even less at https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-parts/gm-fluid-88865602

Nearly everything is more expensive up here in Canada. Shipping of anything in liquid form, as far as I know, is strictly prohibited so there zero chance that I will likely find it cheaper anywhere else, unless it goes on sale somewhere, and for a significant amount.

Shame you can't go to Home Depot...

They have Pennzoil platinum full synthetic ATF dexron VI for $4.68 a quart...

Just checked and it's $5.27 a qt now... Still a really good price for this at HD.

Last edited:
Nearly everything is more expensive up here in Canada. Shipping of anything in liquid form, as far as I know, is strictly prohibited so there zero chance that I will likely find it cheaper anywhere else, unless it goes on sale somewhere, and for a significant amount.
Not worth getting a U.S. address across the border? Maybe share with friends and family and make monthly trips to pick up.

Amalie full synth. DexVI is my go to fluid in my GM fleet. Amazon by the case. 190k miles on a Malibu and Yukon and sold running / shifting just fine.
Dropped the OEM fill on my Equinox and at 40k and it was black and horrible. Did it again at 75k and the Amalie looked like new.
You couldn't give me GM Dex VI fluid.

Dropped the OEM fill on my Equinox and at 40k and it was black and horrible. Did it again at 75k and the Amalie looked like new.
Looks like the Dex6 was doing it's job cleaning the transmission. If the Amalie looked like new, it wasn't holding the dirt in suspension and left it accumulating on the internal parts.

Back