2017 Boxster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
rooflessVW said:
It IS a lot for what is essentially an old Mercedes with a big engine.

Many folks mistakenly assume this. Factually incorrect, but a common opinion nonetheless.

Yeah... Care to back that up? I'm pretty certain the Charger and Challenger are both heavily based on the W210 E-Class, common suspension parts and all.

An "old Mercedes"? And all this time I thought I bought a new car! I for one would love to find a NOS E55!

They share some technology, most notably the integrated ESP system, but for instance the 300 first gen LX cars had anti dive and anti squat at both ends. The LC does not and is easily distinguished at the road course. I really am not interested in searching the net for you, but there is tons of info easily available. I wonder if anyone knew the LX was the first 4 door passenger car with hydroformed components in the chassis?

The rumor you are propagating comes from the earliest SRT8 cars which had actual AMG pieces used in their construction. But these were items like the WA580 and the 210mm rear end. And this was only for the very early cars, the practice was rapidly stopped as Chrysler ramped up production in the later 06 models and began making the Trans in Indiana and sourcing other parts. Note that only a handful of Magnum SRT8's were built at first. That is all the SRT Experience folks had when I attended my first one at Homestead in September of 05. Their first 300 was delivered during our event and was in the hands of the Skip Barber experts in seconds right off the truck! 3 laps around the infield raceway and then in for new tires! Talk about a break in.

The early 06 and 05's were different cars. They went down the line at Brampton with actual SRT guys supervising their construction. The reason I know? I have one, purchased August of 05 badged as an 06. My engine even has a signature on it!

Last edited:
The bad news is nearly 90k for this rowdy little monster! And it's not even optioned out all the way. I was told you can easily get on the far side of 100k!

The good news is that the exact same car, with the same engine and transmission can be purchased for only $60k if you don't dip into the options at all.
The car performs exactly the same, and costs $30k less.
$57k if you stick with the manual transmission.

I own a 2015 Cayman, and in my opinion, these are the best cars on the planet.
I still wouldn't put $30k worth of options into a base version, though. No way.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back