2017 Boxster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the day playing in my good friend's new 2017 Red Boxster. Wow, what a nice little car!

The dynamics of this platform are incredible to say the least. Top flight reflexes even without engaging sport mode or tightening up the shocks. And the brakes! Pure pleasure at any velocity, effortlessly dialing you down to whatever speed you want. The car had summer rubber on it.

Now for the amazing engine and trans. His is the "low output" engine, a 2.0 liter turbo 4 banger with 300 hp and a torque curve as flat as Florida. Immediate response at any speed and yet it winds out to 7700 rpm like a maniac. The PDK seven speed is so fast it will shock you, yet never seems surprised as some transmissions due in certain circumstances. And this thing FLIES down the road. Surprisingly aggressive exhaust note that is variable from the driver's seat.

Finally, the fit and finish is truly exemplary. Clean and neat as Germans always do. Flawless paint in screaming red with a black and grey interior.

The bad news is nearly 90k for this rowdy little monster! And it's not even optioned out all the way. I was told you can easily get on the far side of 100k!

Porsche's are my favorite Sports car. 100% practical as compared to a Ferrari or Maserati types.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
$90K? I thought the none S Boxsters were around $60K??

+1. Thats getting into 911 territory.

That's a simply a fabulous car. I'd like one if I didn't need a rear seat in my DD.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
76k for a new one at the local dealer:

https://north-olmsted.porschedealer.com/inventory/?model=Boxster

A 2014 with 1800 miles is listed at $45k and certified.

A 2017 certified S model with 500 miles is 72k

The 2017 is the new platform and the 2014 is the old platform - different engines, different chassis. I wanted to buy a new Cayman this summer and couldn't find one anywhere - the old ones were out of production and the new ones hadn't started. So I bought a GT350 instead.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
$90K? I thought the none S Boxsters were around $60K??

Yessir, just under 90k. Could have easily been 110k if heavily spiced up with every option!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Porsche's are my favorite Sports car. 100% practical as compared to a Ferrari or Maserati types.

Amazing storage space front AND rear. Surprising for such a tiny little car.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
That's a simply a fabulous car. I'd like one if I didn't need a rear seat in my DD.

Truly an exceptional driver in every way. Too small for my tastes, but as a 'weekender" it would be superb.

Originally Posted By: jaj
The 2017 is the new platform and the 2014 is the old platform - different engines, different chassis. I wanted to buy a new Cayman this summer and couldn't find one anywhere - the old ones were out of production and the new ones hadn't started. So I bought a GT350 instead.

Amazingly different from the last generation. I was surprised at how much more refinement is baked in and yet it still has that superb chassis feel to it.

The little 4 banger is just amazing the way it presses you back into the seat!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'm not that much more into my 911. Pass.

IMO not even in the same league as a 911, much more direct feel with even more refinement. NVH is amazing for such a small car, superb smoothness in all conditions and instant power without waiting.

Remember the 2.5 liter version has been clocked in the high elevens in the quarter mile! I sincerely doubt anyone who hasn't driven one can appreciate the muscle in this little wonder...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Jesus. That thing can scoot.

Just this little 2.0 liter can really press you back in the seat!

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
And I thought $65K for a Dodge Hellcat was a lot of money.

It IS a lot for what is essentially an old Mercedes with a big engine.

I love what Porsche has been doing lately. The quality, somehow, just keeps climbing. You can however easily price the Cayman/Boxster into the stratosphere; Porsche will sell you anything you want if you can't control your pen around option boxes...

The same with the 911. The prices can be absolutely ASTRONOMICAL if you don't watch yourself.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Many folks mistakenly assume this. Factually incorrect, but a common opinion nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Many folks mistakenly assume this. Factually incorrect, but a common opinion nonetheless.

Yeah... Care to back that up? I'm pretty certain the Charger and Challenger are both heavily based on the W210 E-Class, common suspension parts and all.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
And I thought $65K for a Dodge Hellcat was a lot of money.

I love what Porsche has been doing lately. The quality, somehow, just keeps climbing. You can however easily price the Cayman/Boxster into the stratosphere; Porsche will sell you anything you want if you can't control your pen around option boxes...

The same with the 911. The prices can be absolutely ASTRONOMICAL if you don't watch yourself.

No kidding. I almost went for the "tuxedo interior" which was so tempting, but not at $14k lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back