2016 Silverado control arms ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks, Dad has a 2016 Silverado, reg. cab. short box W/T with a 4.3, 4WD. Truck needs new lower ball joints -- driver side is shot. I have confirmed we have steel control arms, not alum (which would mean Z71). Does anyone know if the ball joints on the OE arms are serviceable? I see lots of replacement arms with new joints for sale. So I am led to believe that OE arms aren't serviceable, but they still sell new joints for aftermarket arms?

Thanks.

For 2016 Chevrolet C & K 1500 application, in addition to complete upper & lower control arms, Moog also sells individual ball joints:

Lower Ball joint for Aluminum Steering Knuckle: K500245
Lower Ball joint for non-Aluminum Steering Knuckle: K6541
Upper Ball joint: K500340

https://www.moogparts.com/find-my-part/find-my-part-results.html?parttype=SUSPENSION&apptype=AUTOMOTIVE&options=2016~Chevrolet~Silverado%201500&values=2016~Chevrolet~Silverado%201500

Not saying you have to get Moog, just using as an example, probably most other popular suspension parts brands also will sell either ball joints or complete control arms too.

To add on to WobblyElvis' tool requirement, you will need a ball joint press c-clamp and a press receiver set for your application - master set or GM truck - look them up in Amazon.

Thanks folks, wasn't sure if they were for just aftermarket arms or what the deal was.

And no warranty on this girl anymore. 105k on the clock. Bought last fall with 100k from Florida. Drove this thing back in two days.

New control arms typically come with new ball joints, but that in no way implies the BJ's aren't serviceable separately.

You need to pay your dues to the vehicle, jack it up, put on jack stands, and look at the darn thing. It is very easy to see if a BJ can be removed or is permanently built into a control arm, by the presence of bolts or a clip ring on it that holds it on.

This inspection is important because if it has encountered enough stress that you already need new BJ's, that might not be all that is needed.

Last edited:
Clip rings ? Snap rings ? C clips ? All the same ?

I suggest you add up the cost of tooling + control arms / bushings and comparer it to tooling + ball joint ( and maybe bushings ) .

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=ball joint

Also examine the opposite side and see if it is in need of some TLC , too . Examine all the suspension parts and the drive train parts if 4WD . Try to buy parts that are greasable .

Best of luck to you , :)

You already need new ball joints on a 2016?
crazy2.gif

Rock Auto has the OE control arms/ball joints
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back