2016 Lexus NX200t

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife picked up a new 2016 NX200t about two months ago. Before my wife decided on the NX200t, we shopped around and test drove the Ford Escape, Ford Edge, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, BMW X1, Mercedes Benz GLA250, and the Mazda CX5. I really wanted the CX5 and I tried to sway here to it. But, it is her daily driver, so she had the final say. We currently have about four thousand miles on the NX.

My wife drives about seventy-five miles a day round trip for work. Her commute comprises of about fifty-five miles of freeway, and twenty miles of city driving a day. I say all this so you can better understand the fuel economy part.

I got to drive the NX a few times with the longest trip being about two hundred miles.
The NX200t comes with a 2.0L turbo charged engine that puts out 235 horses and 258 lbs of torque. It moves along quit nicely once the turbo is spooled up. This is my first time driving a gasoline turbo charged vehicle. I had to get used to the turbo lag while driving around town.

The engine is a beautiful thing out on the open road as the turbo hauls butt, and moves the 4,000 lb plus SUV a lot better than I thought it would. It is also very smooth and refined in its power delivery on the highways. Around town things are fine and dandy as long as revs are already past about 2,000 rpm, otherwise in stop and go traffic the turbo lag makes it tricky to make quick maneuvers in and out of tight situations. My wife says it doesn't bother her at all, and she doesn't even notice it.

The ride for me is a mixed bag. Driving around town on a straight road the ride seems stiff, and harsh over bumps, dips, and potholes. But, once you start going around tight curves, freeway on ramps, or just changing lanes the handling feels a bit sloppy. I mean it seems for how stiff the ride is on a straight line, it suddenly feels like there is a lot more body motion than there should be when that straight line is disturbed in the slightest amount. My wife loves the way the NX200t handles.

The NX's turning radius is worth mentioning as it is rather good and makes short work of tight parking lots, and u-turn situations. Not bad for a medium sized SUV. Seems much better than all the other SUV's we tested, except the Mazda which was the best I do believe.

On the freeway, the NX just devours the miles after miles forging straight ahead, and is very comfortable doing so. But, to me, any quick maneuver is dulled by the fore mentioned body roll, and a steering system that quickly looses its good on center feel. Don't get me wrong, the NX doesn't fall over on itself like the Cherokee felt during that test drive, but it just seems like the NX was tuned a bit more for touring than driving fun. My wife has no complaints on the freeway or city roads. The only vehicle she commented on regarding poor handling dynamics was the Jeep Cherokee. So, every other SUV was ok in her book.

The interior is attractive enough. I know from sitting inside other luxury brands, that controls can be small, numerous buttons, and way overly complicating in there design and execution. I am talking dangerous by design for use in a moving vehicle (WTH). But Lexus did a good job with keeping the center console and dashboard modern yet not to distracting. I don't love it, but it works okay. The feel of all the switch gear is topnotch. The materials and craftsmanship look and feel very good for the most part. I do feel that the padded door armrests and parts of the dashboard are very thinly padded, and it takes away from the overall quality of the interior. The seats are very comfortable for the long and short hauls. Both front seats are power adjustable and heated. The seats are not leather, they are some kind of very soft and durable feeling synthetic material that mimics leather. I like the seats.

The exterior design looks good at certain angles. The NX is a butter face. I do think the NX pulls off the ugly thimble shaped front end a lot better than some of the other cars Lexus puts it on, but still...not pretty. Of course it's all a matter of opinion as my wife loves the looks all around. I think she is blinded by the big shiny "L" badge up front.

The fuel economy. The window sticker says 22 mpg city, and 28 mpg highway. Premium grade fuel is required. The highest tank on my wife's weekly work commute was 23.5 mpg. The lowest tank for the same commuting was 22.1 mpg. Most tanks are in the 22.8 - 23.2 mpg range. Her commute is mostly freeway driving with very little traffic due to her shift hours, so she drives between 65 - 75 mph most of the time on the freeway part. The city part of her commute is not gridlock downtown stuff. Her city driving is usually 30 - 45 mph. I hand calculate all her tanks. The fuel economy readout on the dashboard says 23.8 mpg overall average to date. Hopefully we will get 25 mpg or better combined as the engine continues to break-in.

Overall it is a nice SUV, and should give us many, many years and miles of reliable transportation. I would have picked the CX5 myself, but in the end I am soooooo glad she did not choose the Cherokee or a German car that she contemplated. My parents have always driven MBZ and BMW and I do not wan't to go down that headache road.

image%202_zpsxlrwyve0.jpeg

image_zpscd85cqfy.jpeg

I think I could live with that. Nice buy!

Oddly the website seems to document the HP with a (RWD) next to the #. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:
I work for Lexus & can say that the build quality is excellent. The biggest issue so far is the small size of the wireless charger option in the center console

The most important thing is your wife likes it. The looks will grow on you.

Great choice! That car will run forever, no doubt! I'm a huge fan of the "new" L-Finesse grill, the NX pulls it off quite nicely.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I'm a huge fan of the "new" L-Finesse grill, the NX pulls it off quite nicely.

So am I. Great choice in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
My wife picked up a new 2016 NX200t about two months ago. Before my wife decided on the NX200t, we shopped around and test drove the Ford Escape, Ford Edge, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, BMW X1, Mercedes Benz GLA250, and the Mazda CX5. I really wanted the CX5 and I tried to sway her to it. But, it is her daily driver, so she had the final say. We currently have about four thousand miles on the NX.

I agree with you about the Mazda CX5, I like it better than anything on your list, my second choice is Honda CR-V if I was in market for a midsize SUV/CUV. But I never like to own/drive a higher seating vehicle such as SUV or minivan.

Last edited:
I've driven both the CX5 and NX200t and I prefer the NX200t has much better fit, finish and materials. I think your wife made a great decision.
wink.gif

Very good quality vehicle that should have great reliability for a decade or more.

Looks are subjective...but I'm not a fan of the grill. But I drive a Ridgeline...and many think it's a real ugly vehicle.

Good choice though.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks nice, I'm not too crazy about massive front grill.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I'm a huge fan of the "new" L-Finesse grill, the NX pulls it off quite nicely.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Looks are subjective...but I'm not a fan of the grill.

Weber makes grills and the OP's car has a grille.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What brand and size tires does it have? I think the beak looks distinctive.

It has Yokohama Geolandar G91 tires in size 225/65/17.

On another note: I forgot to mention about the performance of the NX while driving up the canyon road to the ski resort. The roads were clear of snow and ice, so I was able to drive hard once I passed the slower traffic at the first passing section.

The turbo engine has plenty of power to pass slower traffic, and put considerable distance between me and a current generation Jeep Wrangler that was riding my butt before I got to the passing area. I floored it and left the Jeep in the dust as he was just able to pass the line of slower vehicles on the straight sections. The curves, and there were plenty of them, took away some of the joy I was having. The NX plows front heavy into curves. I wonder if the "F" series improves the handling dynamics of the NX...? But anyways, I am enjoying the NX a little more everytime I drive it, mostly because it is very comfortable, has plenty of power and the high seating position.

If Toyota would put this 2.0 turbo in the RAV4, I would get a RAV4 as my next car. I like the looks and price of the RAV4 more than the NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back