2016 Land Rover diesel? Motor oil selection

Co worker of mine just bought a 16’ Land River with diesel engine. Says it calls for a 5w30 diesel engine oil. I don’t know much about European diesels or their more oils.

Thank You

The TDv6? IIRC mine, a '16 Range Rover, used the5w30, w/ the JLR spec. Good luck to him, I loved mine, minimal problems, but the diesel emission controls, especially the DEF system, became problematic at ~70K miles and would limit the range of the vehicle if it detected certain faults. I went to the gasoline engine, PHEV actually, for my next one.

Here's the spec I believe; STJLR.03.5005

The TDv6? IIRC mine, a '16 Range Rover, used the5w30, w/ the JLR spec. Good luck to him, I loved mine, minimal problems, but the diesel emission controls, especially the DEF system, became problematic at ~70K miles and would limit the range of the vehicle if it detected certain faults. I went to the gasoline engine, PHEV actually, for my next one.

Here's the spec I believe; STJLR.03.5005
I will show him this. Thank You sir

Since warranty's long gone I'd use ACEA C3 Euro oil ideally with VW 504 00, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 and/or Porsche C30 approval. For example M1 ESP 5W-30 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30.

Jaguar STJLR.03.5005 calls for a reduced HTHS viscosity of just 3.1 mPas, while the aforementioned VW/MB/BMW/Porsche C3 approvals required a minimum HTHS of 3.5 mPas. It means more oil film thickness and that's what protects his bearings.

Since warranty's long gone I'd use ACEA C3 Euro oil ideally with VW 504 00, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04 and/or Porsche C30 approval. For example M1 ESP 5W-30 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30.

Jaguar STJLR.03.5005 calls for a reduced HTHS viscosity of just 3.1 mPas, while the aforementioned VW/MB/BMW/Porsche C3 approvals required a minimum HTHS of 3.5 mPas. It means more oil film thickness and that's what protects his bearings.
x2 on the C3 selection. I own an 05 Discovery with the earlier 2.7TD which I'm currently running a C3 - however mine does not have a DPF so not technically needing a C3. Land Rover forums engine oil use is a common topic, mostly due to engine failures with the 3.0 diesel

I run my 3.0 TDV6 on VAG 502 5w40. It’s Audi branded oil that in the UK is Shell. Has a HTHS of 3.6 so only slightly higher than a 504/507 oil. I feel happier running a “thicker” oil but we will see how it helps the bearings as the engine already had over 90,000 miles on it with its first owner only ever having dealer service.

Here’s the actual spec.

@RooflessVW: does total long life meet this? Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 41
Jaguar STJLR.03.5005 (formerly Ford WSS M2C 934B)

It's old spec cant find many oils for sale with either of them above.
Go Xw40.

Technically no.

However, the Total Quartz Ineo Longlife 5W-30 meets VW 504/507 and the Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W-30 meets BMW LL04.

I'd use either with confidence in place of the JLR spec.
Yeah, I’m unsure if co worker will use the total. He seems to want ok that meets spec. I said “Go with edge professional then”

Thats the trouble with a lot of Land Rover owners. They carnt see past the LR spec oils. Too many people on the LR forums post saying “ only use the correct approved oil or your engine will grenade when in fact there are so many better options on the market.

To me, an engine that makes as much torque as the TDV6 does from a 2.7/3.0 needs a HTHS higher than 3.1. And I think all the wiped out bottom end bearings prove that.

Thats the trouble with a lot of Land Rover owners. They carnt see past the LR spec oils. Too many people on the LR forums post saying “ only use the correct approved oil or your engine will grenade when in fact there are so many better options on the market.

To me, an engine that makes as much torque as the TDV6 does from a 2.7/3.0 needs a HTHS higher than 3.1. And I think all the wiped out bottom end bearings prove that.
100% agree on the Land Rover owners comment. So many on the forums don't want anything other than the LR spec oil. To me the LR spec oil is fairly **** so its not hard to get something better and well and truly exceed it. Not sure if the wiped bottom ends are an oil issue or a quality control issue at assembly as many that I see failed have spun the bearing and then possibly lead to a snapped crank. Always hard to determine which occurred first after the damage has been done

You can snap a crank and have intact bearings so that is its own issue. That is due to the engine being made too short to fit it into FWD vehicles like the Citroen C6. Compare a TDV6 crank to a VAG 3.0 TDI crank and you will see the difference.

The TDV6 also has poor engine harmonics as it has no balance shaft and the crankshaft pulley has not been designed to absorb any. Again look at a VAG 3.0 TDI one and you will see the big rubber area it has.

As the cranks always snap in the same place at the front I believe this is a contributing factor.

Also the low RPM ( less than 1400) the engine can be ran at by the ECU makes it lug a lot which creates more stress on the crank. I run mine in sport mode and keep the RPMs up over 1500.

If mine ever grenades itself then it won’t get another TDV6 but I’ve not decided what to fit yet.

Ford WSS M2C 934B is roughly equivalent to ACEA C1 / ACEA A5B5, a rather elderly low SAPS spec, 2.9-3.5 HTHS.

Use a C3 or a C5 oil with the lowest HTHS you can find as both have HTHS on the higher side of things at minimum 3.5. Or use a C2 with SAPS on the lower side.

Back