2016 Honda Pilot 0W-20 Spec

Just purchased a Honda Pilot with 36k miles. Does Honda have my best interest (from an engine longevity standpoint) at heart in recommending 0W-20 weight oil or is this a gas mileage play? I have an Infinity Q-50 as well and there is a range of recommendations for the 3.0l from 0W-20 to 10W-30 (or maybe even 40) depending on climate conditions. There is a lot of debate on the Q forum about whether there is a trade off with the thinner viscosity oils in protection vs just providing less resistance for mileage or performance.

Anyway, I would prefer to maximize engine protection and longevity over marginal fuel economy improvements. The car had last been changed at a Jiffy-Lube type place so I immediately changed it to a 5W-20, figuring that was safe at the start of spring/summer in the mid-west. My instincts say 5W-30 would be better long term for the motor but I am not an expert on the topic.

What is the consensus thoughts here on the BITOG forum?

Last edited:
So my in-laws are running 5W20 in previous Pilot in Las Vegas. I do not have to tell you how summers are over there. Your internal engine temperature is maintained by thermostat, so regardless of ambient temperature oil will have very similar temperature in 0 degrees and 100 degrees. Difference is how fast it will reach operating temperature. I am not sure of internal engineering of current V6 in Pilot. Toyota for example can swallow anything. For what is worth, Mobil1 Australia recommends 5W30 in 3.5 V6. So 5W30 will do well if that is your preference. I run in my Sienna 5W30 although it is recommended for 0W20. But then, 2GR-FE in Toyota can run on 20W50 too.

0w20 is good. Any name brand full synthetic will do. I would read up on VCM if your car has it. You may want to consider a VCM disabling device.

There is no consensus here. Both work well in your Honda. You may see a slight uptick in consumption with the thinner oil. But you may also see a slight / half-percent uptick in MPG with Mr. Thin.

Or, if you keep tossing on your pillow tonight, just run a 50-50 blend of both viscosities.

For whatever a single data point is worth, my father's wife has a 2013 Pilot that she purchased new. It has had 0w20 since new changed between 5-15% OLM with mostly M1 AFE 0w20. It now has 177,000 mikes on it and has been relatively trouble free. Only issue was a stuck spool valve (I suspect) replaced by the dealer under extended warranty at 115k, dealership installed TSB update parts of valve, pressure regulator spring, VCM screen. It does not have VCM disabled and uses no measurable oil between changes. Seems like hers has held up just fine on 0w20.

Also, banner day, my 2000th post. Woo hoo!

Agreed, a 30 is fine. VCM hasn't proven to be problematic on these, that was more of an older gen issue with consumption. For me, running is 30 is most beneficial being DI knowing there is some level of fuel dilution, although not anywhere near some other engines.

I don't think you'll see a noticeable change in economy with 0w-20 over 5w-30. I had a 2008 CR-V and I ran 5w-20 until it was out of warranty, keeping a log of fuel purchases. Went to 5w-30 and kept a log for a year, and the average was slightly better (about 0.5 MPG) with 5w-30, but there were so much variation from one tank to the next that it was impossible to say the oil had any measurable effect. I've been running 0w-20 in my Pilot and I've got no noticeable consumption.

Last edited:
20 or 30 will work. I'm running a 30 in the VW that calls for 0w20 as well. We've been having very high temps for this time of year, 89f / heat index 98-105f / 80% humidity.

Originally Posted by jcbcts
Sorry for the ignorance here but what is "VCM"?

Variable Cylinder Mngmnt

Thanks, does the VCM discussion tie into the oil viscosity discussion or just warning me of possible other issues with the engine? Appreciated either way!

Last edited:
30 will be fine. Isn't that what you want to do?
grin2.gif

An automaker will be very unlikely to make a blanket switch from one oil weight to another without knowing the risks (if any). If they gain fuel economy with no impact on engine wear, it's a no-brainer. Plus, the fact is with Honda, they back-spec'd the oil change almost as far back as 2003 or so (in fact, 2001, with the Civics) to say 0W-20 is acceptable. They get ZERO benefit from CAFE regulations on prior year models if I'm not mistaken. Does their dealer network benefit by being able to buy more 0W-20 vs a mix, sure they do, but Honda of America has no obligation there as dealers are privately-owned, not corporate-owned.

FWIW, with Honda's 3.5L V6, they went back to 2002 with the Odyssey and 2003 with the Pilot switching from 5W-20 to 0W-20. You have to back to prior years where Honda spec'd 5W-30.

Yep, I will likely go that route after next Winter. I just changed it to 5W-20 and will probably do one more change with 0W or 5W-20 that should take it through next Winter. Then I will likely switch to 5W-30 like the rest of my "fleet". I have been long sold on full synthetic (with a quality filter) so will continue buying the name brand with the best sale at the time I need it. This time it was Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 Filter. The last 3/4 quart it needed was my top-off oil - Supertech 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I will be listening closely for Viscosity Clash!

Why do people think they need to go up a viscosity grade (from what the engineers who actually designed the engine spec'd it for...) when the temp reaches 100 degree ambient? A 20wt used in a engine calling for it will not care if it's 50 degrees or 100F. Your thermostat keeps the engine at operating temperature per design. Period. 100 degrees Fahrenheit is child's play....

Back