2016 Honda Pilot 0W-20 Spec

Running Amsoil SS 0W20 in our 19 Pilot. No need to run a higher grade. We're in North Texas. I wouldn't worry about the VCM. The third Gens seems to help the issues other Gens have experienced.

AzFireGuy - the reason is I am not sure the engineers have my best interest in mind in the design. They need the engine to outlast the PT warranty and get tremendous pressure to maximize fuel efficiency. I am just a guy trying to figure out if there is a trade off in fuel efficiency and protection with these thin oils. These thinner oil specs are a new phenomenon for a guy whose last newest vehicle was a 2008. If I can get better protection from a more traditional viscosity rated oil for 1/2 MPG I want to go that route. If that is total bunk, I would have nearly everyone jumping my case about questioning it. I think there is still a lot of debate out there and we may not get consensus until many millions of these cars get to high mileage- 200k plus- or fail prior - while running thin oils.

Last edited:
That is a great example! Had no idea a dinosaur like the Crown Vic used 20 weight oil - I had to look up the owners manual. Those things are notorious for longevity and abuse. So let me ask this - are there so many high mileage examples because there were SOOO many in circulation or are they proven statistically longer lasting than other cars?

In any event - that the Crown Vic spec'ed it is s a big step towards me coming around a bit to the idea of thinner oils. I plan on staying in 20 weight oil through next winter so I have a year to come around fully and use it permanently. Car still has a little warranty left which is why I went 20 on my initial oil change.

Originally Posted by jcbcts
That is a great example! Had no idea a dinosaur like the Crown Vic used 20 weight oil - I had to look up the owners manual. Those things are notorious for longevity and abuse. So let me ask this - are there so many high mileage examples because there were SOOO many in circulation or are they proven statistically longer lasting than other cars?

In any event - that the Crown Vic spec'ed it is s a big step towards me coming around a bit to the idea of thinner oils. I plan on staying in 20 weight oil through next winter so I have a year to come around fully and use it permanently. Car still has a little warranty left which is why I went 20 on my initial oil change.

What engine(s) has the Crown Vic had over the years ? I'll bet the same basic engine was using 10W-30 or -40 at one point too.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
An automaker will be very unlikely to make a blanket switch from one oil weight to another without knowing the risks (if any). If they gain fuel economy with no impact on engine wear, it's a no-brainer. Plus, the fact is with Honda, they back-spec'd the oil change almost as far back as 2003 or so (in fact, 2001, with the Civics) to say 0W-20 is acceptable. They get ZERO benefit from CAFE regulations on prior year models if I'm not mistaken. Does their dealer network benefit by being able to buy more 0W-20 vs a mix, sure they do, but Honda of America has no obligation there as dealers are privately-owned, not corporate-owned.

FWIW, with Honda's 3.5L V6, they went back to 2002 with the Odyssey and 2003 with the Pilot switching from 5W-20 to 0W-20. You have to back to prior years where Honda spec'd 5W-30.

They switched to 0W20 bcs. there is some benefit in cold cranking pumpability in certain areas. Why confusing consumers with: if you live here use 5W20 and if you live here use 0W20, when both oils provide same MPG numbers. There is no difference in CAFE moving from 5W20 to 0W20. However, there is moving from XW30 to XW20.
Moving older models to different grade can mitigate some known issues. BMW retroactively moved some engines on the US market to lighter oils as experience showed that due to driving regime in the US among BMW drivers, some issues on V8 engines could be mitigated using lighter oils.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
What engine(s) has the Crown Vic had over the years ? I'll bet the same basic engine was using 10W-30 or -40 at one point too.

The new body design had the brand new small block Ford engine (I think it was the 4.6L) and was spec'd 5w-20 from the git-go.

Originally Posted by jcbcts
Thanks, does the VCM discussion tie into the oil viscosity discussion or just warning me of possible other issues with the engine? Appreciated either way!

Some earlier generations of VCM had consumption issues, and by running a thicker oil some folks reported less burn. Your generation has yet to have documented issues of oil consumption (revised to fix the issue) but being a DI engine the new oil related issue is fuel dilution...so running a thicker oil for this reason may or may not be beneficial.

Back