2016 Harley Davidson 103, 5,400 miles, Maxima V-Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Harley Davidson FLHTK Electra Glide
Oil type. Maxima V-Twin 20w-50
Make up oil None
Miles on unit 14,000
Miles on oil. 5,400

Your Harley is making nice strides in the right direction. We had our eye on copper coming into
this report, and it managed to drop by more than half. That's the kind of trend we expect from a young,
healthy engine, and it's made all the better by the fact that the other metals followed along to a somewhat
lesser extent. Copper is still a tad elevated, but it'll probably continue to improve a bit, so we're not worried.
The slightly thick viscosity remains unconcerning as well. No contamination was found, and the TBN is
strong at 4.3. Nice bike! Try 7,000 miles.

Aluminium. 3
Chromium. 0
Iron. 10
Copper. 31
Lead. 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 15
Nickel 0
Manganese. 1
Silver. 0
Titanium. 0
Potassium. 0
Boron 7
Silicon. 10
Sodium 6
Calcium. 2219
Magnesium 48
Phosphorous 1031
Zinc 1295
Barium 0

SUS viscosity @ 210 F. 92.1
SUS Viscosity @ 100 C. 18.48
Flashpoint in F. 410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0.0
Insoluble. 0.1
TBN. 4.3

Last edited:
Thanks for the UOA/Post.

Hate to say it, but just another good Harley UOA!
Think that makes three of them in some version of the 103 engine in the last month or two, right on the first page, imagine that!
Im a big fan of my 103 H/O motor, so much so I hesitate to think about a new 2017 and later bike with the M8 engine.

As far as the oil you used, it did its job, Im not a fan of large amounts of calcium but that means absolutely nothing, just my own "thing".
I would rather see more magnesium and/or boron since HD specs a CH4+ (or higher) diesel oil if not using their oil.

thanks again for the post ...

Last edited:
I have never seen even a questionable uoa on a Harley 103. It's really a waste of money to do them anymore.

I agree with you. Most UOA's are done on motors with low miles on them. I guess people don't have faith in the air cooled motors. Between people changing their oil too soon to get the advantage of what their paying for, and not riding their bikes enough to wear them out, there's not alot of info to gain from them. Seems to me doing them after 50k miles might be worth the expense, still just a few high numbers won't convince most people to tear the motor apart if it's still running good. Tho some might just trade it in instead of rebuilding it. Age and mileage usually determines that.,,,

Originally Posted by loneryder
I have never seen even a questionable uoa on a Harley 103. It's really a waste of money to do them anymore.

Im surprised to see a comment in here like this.
Anything in life except basic food, shelter and clothing is a waste of money to some people.
Buying any oil other then the most cheap, basic no name brand oil that is API certified is a waste of money to some people.
Motorcycles, boats, planes and cars/trucks with anything more then a basic engine is a waste of money.

We spend our money as we wish :eek:)

Ive run 6 UOAs on my 2014 103HO Road King, I do it for fun and satisfaction, now that all these years have gone by almost 5 years and 26,000 miles, I know using Citgo Branded Mystik JT8 diesel 15w50 oil was the right choice for me, based on my reasoning/theory using a diesel rated oil that HD mentions as a back up if you cant not buy their own.
Almost 5 years now, 26,000 miles and to this day I still have not needed a repair on this bike and no make up oil needed inbetween changes.

6 Stellar UOAs and now I feel good about my choice which by the way, could make me say "its really a waste of money to" spend over $5 for oil and if you live near a rural king $3. But I dont go around telling others its a waste of money to buy more expensive oil :eek:)

Just having fun here but making a point, since your posting that UOAs are a waste, in a oil forum full of thousands of UOAs on thousands of different vehicles. :eek:)

Ps. I understand you posted it with a different meaning mean to be helpful, but others might not read it the same way. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by loneryder

Im surprised to see a comment in here like this.
Anything in life except basic food, shelter and clothing is a waste of money to some people.
Buying any oil other then the most cheap, basic no name brand oil that is API certified is a waste of money to some people.
Motorcycles, boats, planes and cars/trucks with anything more then a basic engine is a waste of money.

We spend our money as we wish :eek:)

Ive run 6 UOAs on my 2014 103HO Road King, I do it for fun and satisfaction, now that all these years have gone by almost 5 years and 26,000 miles, I know using Citgo Branded Mystik JT8 diesel 15w50 oil was the right choice for me, based on my reasoning/theory using a diesel rated oil that HD mentions as a back up if you cant not buy their own.
Almost 5 years now, 26,000 miles and to this day I still have not needed a repair on this bike and no make up oil needed inbetween changes.

6 Stellar UOAs and now I feel good about my choice which by the way, could make me say "its really a waste of money to" spend over $5 for oil and if you live near a rural king $3. But I dont go around telling others its a waste of money to buy more expensive oil :eek:)

Just having fun here but making a point, since your posting that UOAs are a waste, in a oil forum full of thousands of UOAs on thousands of different vehicles. :eek:)

Ps. I understand you posted it with a different meaning mean to be helpful, but others might not read it the same way. :eek:)

You sure put a lot of words in my mouth in this post. I only meant that it's such a good motor and if run on the correct oil, it doesn't even stress the oil. I didn't say anything about anything else being a waste of money.

Hey, "known" you a long time, no big deal but you did say its a waste on money :eek:)
Heck, its right in your quote! *L*

I know you didnt mean it that way but some might think so, after all, we are in the UOA section and the OP was nice enough to have the UOA done and share it.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Hey, "known" you a long time, no big deal but you did say its a waste on money :eek:)
Heck, its right in your quote! *L*

I know you didnt mean it that way but some might think so, after all, we are in the UOA section and the OP was nice enough to have the UOA done and share it.

Well said. You know as well as I that these are great engines. You've done a lot of uoa's yourself.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes!
You know, I bought this bike new in 2014 and because of stupid BS internet chatter I was expecting repair bills and costs with the bike but I didnt care because I NEEDED a heavy weight cruiser for my wife and I as we do A LOT of interstate 75 MPH + riding. Plus the reviews on the Rushmore bikes were fantastic in the press.

We also do a fair amount of non stop afternoon thunderstorms where we ride by the cars who pull over on the interstate ...the last storm had TWO inches of water on my seat between my legs, that one was a bit more crazy, borderline hail, freezing cold blasts of air. I dont enjoy it, and last storm was really crazy, but I keep going as sometimes I think its more dangerous to pull off.

Anyway, long story short, said it many times, here we are now almost 5 years later and 26,000 miles and the bike still has not needed a repair, to me, that is amazing. I only WISH the new HD M8 engines had the same reputation or I might be tempted to get one but for me, no way, not yet.

I love my 14 Rk, awesome machine, to this day still amazes me as I pull onto the interstate and twist that throttle. Smooooooth as silk. :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back