2016 Ford F-150 5.0 83k PUP 5w-30 Oil mileage 6k

In case anyone cares. Truck is (has been) using about 1 qt. in 5k intervals, not including the ~5-6 ozs. in the catch can.

10-19-2023 blackstone labs report f150 redacted.gif

In case anyone cares. Truck is (has been) using about 1 qt. in 5k intervals, not including the ~5-6 ozs. in the catch can.

View attachment 184290
Nice report. My Dad had a '16 5.0. Loved it. Never burned any oil in 5k intervals for the entire 130k miles, before trade-in. One thing I've learned about V8 Modulars is some use oil and some don't. My 2007 MGM 4.6L uses 1/4 qt in 5k intervals. My '06 Town Car with the same motor, uses 0.

I always read about shearing down of the viscosity. It doesn't seem to be the case here. Also read a bit about GDI fuel dilution. Again doesn't appear to be the case here.

Thanks for the reply. The 1 qt./5k is not horrible, particularly compared to some of the 2017/18 5.0 trucks. It just irks me some since I've had vehicles that use virtually none. I bought the truck new, so I know its history. My suspicion is that Ford purposely spec'd a somewhat loose piston/cylinder fit to reduce friction and increase initial MPG for their EPA report.

This engine, with the variable valve timing is a better fit in a Mustang (imo). Apparently, the marketing department won out against practicality vs. advertising against the competition in the horsepower wars. I really don't care about the horsepower at 5,500 RPM. It is very powerful up there, but who drives around in that range. It's a truck! Give me some decent torque down around 2k. My wife' 3.5 Toyota feel like it has more torque in that range.

Thanks for the reply. The 1 qt./5k is not horrible, particularly compared to some of the 2017/18 5.0 trucks. It just irks me some since I've had vehicles that use virtually none. I bought the truck new, so I know its history. My suspicion is that Ford purposely spec'd a somewhat loose piston/cylinder fit to reduce friction and increase initial MPG for their EPA report.

This engine, with the variable valve timing is a better fit in a Mustang (imo). Apparently, the marketing department won out against practicality vs. advertising against the competition in the horsepower wars. I really don't care about the horsepower at 5,500 RPM. It is very powerful up there, but who drives around in that range. It's a truck! Give me some decent torque down around 2k. My wife' 3.5 Toyota feel like it has more torque in that range.
Nothing bad about Pennzoil, but the GTL they use is a little on the thin side to boost mileage. If you’re not in Northern CA, there’s likely no reason you couldn’t use 10w30 which will have fewer VIIs and be less volatile and less likely to work its way past the rings if that’s where you’re losing it.

Seems like a really strong TBN for nearly 6k miles, but at last some of that is because of the make up oil added. What were the driving conditions, and how long was the oil in service?

Seems like a really strong TBN for nearly 6k miles, but at last some of that is because of the make up oil added. What were the driving conditions, and how long was the oil in service?

Service duration = 5.5 months. Usual conditions are about 50/50 city/hwy, but this period was about 30/70 and did include a few hundred miles offroad in the southwest.

@Reverberocket — how are you adding top off oil? A few ounces at a time as it drops below the FULL Line to keep it always full 🫡 or you wait until it’s near the ADD Mark and then dump a quart in? 🤨

Back