2015 Toyota Prius-148k Miles unknown oil type/run time

Good afternoon, I recently picked up a used 2015 Toyota prius with 148k miles. The maintenance required light was on when I bought it from the previous owner so I figured I would send a sample off to Blackstone when I changed it. Unknown oil type and run time as title states.

Attachments

• 2015priusredacted.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 30
prius.jpg

That's a lot of moly and calcium. You could probably figure out what oil was used if you compared the additive package to other known UOAs on here. It's a great looking UOA, showing a healthy engine, fuel, and filtration system.

A TBN would've given you an idea of how long the oil was in service, but based on the wear metals, maybe 5000 miles?

The maintenance light is probably automatically set to go off at certain intervals, and must be manually reset. Check the owner's manual.

Good luck with your new drive! I've always liked Prius's though I've never owned one.

They sure did. This is the second one I've owned, I had a Gen 2 (2008) that was still on the original hybrid battery when I sold it a year ago.

At that mileage, it probably needs the EGR components (cooler, valve, pipe, & manifold passages) cleaned out, it they haven't already been.
Gen III PRII blow head gaskets left and right.

Strongly recommend cleaning the EGR and adding a catch can.

Keep an eye to see if you are loosing/consuming oil, if you are worth checking the valve cover after getting the egr fixed

good luck

Gen III PRII blow head gaskets left and right.

Strongly recommend cleaning the EGR and adding a catch can.

Keep an eye to see if you are loosing/consuming oil, if you are worth checking the valve cover after getting the egr fixed

good luck
That’s what I’ve heard. I will be doing the EGR cleaning as soon as I am able to. Toyota supposedly put updated rings in for the 15 model year which seems to have worked as it has not consumed any noticeable amount of oil since I’ve changed it. Thanks for the heads up.

Back