2015 Toyota Corolla L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ladies and gents...I am looking to purchase a 2015 Toyota Corolla L, went over to the dealer today and they were closed (despite saying they were open from 12-6 on Sundays). Anyway I do plan on test driving it tomorrow to see how I like it. This L model comes with Toyota's 1.8 liter engine, and the lowly 4 speed auto (which I prefer over the CVT). I would plan on keeping this car for quite a while so reliability is paramount in this decision. So what I am looking for is all the data that you can throw at me. I have done some research on line but cant really find a whole lot on reliability of the drive train or other structures. I know the 1.8 and 4 speed was used in previous Corolla models, but is this engine/transmission combo any different in the current Corolla? I also wonder how systems like the electric steering and suspension components hold up on these smaller cars? Should I expect 200K of trouble free driving, or will I be seeing transmission issues/engine problems/ suspension work etc long before then? I am totally new to the Toyota game as I am a Honda fan. So please, anyone and everyone share what you know about this car. I just worry about it being cheap and [censored] as far as longevity goes..seems newer cars aren't built to last like they used to be. I plan on test driving it tomorrow so I will provide feedback on how that goes. I like the driving feel of my current Accord. If the Corolla pales in comparison I wont be interested in it.

Toyota is at least as good as Honda in terms of reliability/dependability
smile.gif

I really doubt you'll get comments suggesting reliability/durability is an issue with new Corollas. Toyota seems less-eager than most to adopt new technologies (DI, turbocharging, DCTs or CVTs, et al) than other manufacturers, so the car you're considering should be about as bullet-proof as you can find these days.

But while it builds reliable cars, Toyota also builds really boring cars and I think you'll be disappointed in the driving dynamics of the Corolla. But it is intended to appeal to the people to whom a car is an appliance, and does this job well. Let us know what you think after your test drive.

Can you still get a new Corolla with a clutch? Thats what you want for long term durability. My wife drives to Brooklyn a few times a year to see her parents. Look at her car in the signature.

New Malibu

I know I seem like a Malibu salesman, but these are really nice for the $$$. I think Chevy is at least as good as Toyota. Just me, but a midsize is leaps and bounds better than a compact and not much of a gas mileage penalty.

My Corolla made it 200k miles with just the need to replace the starter. The gear started to grind.

As far as I know, the new Corolla has the same engine (with some minor improvements) as my 2003.

Replaced the struts at 200k miles and was a little disappointed they didn't last longer. Other than that, I just change the oil and the basic maintenance things.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My Corolla made it 200k miles with just the need to replace the starter. The gear started to grind.

As far as I know, the new Corolla has the same engine (with some minor improvements) as my 2003.

Replaced the struts at 200k miles and was a little disappointed they didn't last longer. Other than that, I just change the oil and the basic maintenance things.

Thats good info! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Toyota is at least as good as Honda in terms of reliability/dependability
smile.gif

Far better IMO...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
New Malibu

I know I seem like a Malibu salesman, but these are really nice for the $$$. I think Chevy is at least as good as Toyota. Just me, but a midsize is leaps and bounds better than a compact and not much of a gas mileage penalty.

My 2008 Corolla was a much better car (reliability wise) than my 2011 Chevy Cruze.....I'll never buy another GM.
Gagging on the smell of coolant and having the dealership deny there is a problem isn't my idea of 'good customer service'....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

It is not the same engine.

What are the differences?

I know it's not the new Corolla your looking at, but my daughter's 4 year old Corolla is a very nice solid feeling car.

I think it is good Toyota is sticking with the older technology that is proven and time tested vs the high tech features on new cars today. If the same 4 speed auto is like my very old Camry's transmission, I seriously would buy that car for the transmission alone. 313,000 miles and the shifts are as solid as when new. My wife's Sentra with the CVT has good fuel economy, but is the worst vehicle in terms of driving likeability and comfort I have ever felt. I don't care if it got 60mpg all day long, I will not want a CVT car for myself. If Toyota's new CVT are different than Nissan, that might be a different story though. I haven't driven a new one yet.

I like GM and drive a couple long term Chevys right now, but the Malibu is a so so car styling wise for me with stop/start technology that can't be turned off and a direct injection engine that doesn't impress me. If it is cheap enough, could be a deal?? After only 3 years, the current Malibu is being replaced already. Tells you something...

Corolla sells in huge numbers, so check out the Corolla forums for potential issues. I doubt you will find many. Pretty good car right there.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

It is not the same engine.

What are the differences?

the new corolla offers (2) 1.8 options; take a gander @ the wikipedia article; displacement doesn't indicate they are from the same engine family; the engine code does; the 2015 is an entirely different engine family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_%28E170%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines#Straight-4

Your corolla is a 1ZZ-FE 1.8; which dates back before 2000 IIRC.

Last edited:
"Corolla" and "reliable" are pretty much the same word...

My parents have an '08 model, 1.8 with the 4 speed auto. Has just under 100,000km on it now, I've done the maintenance on it ever since the warranty expired. It's very easy to work on. Only replacement items so far have been front brake pads (they weren't worn out, but started getting noisy after they were about half done) and a set of tyres. Nothing else. It still drives like a new car - no squeaks or rattles, trans is smooth, excellent fuel economy. Not an exciting vehicle by any means, but as dependable, inexpensive transport, it's hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back