2015 Peugot 2008 in France

RaymondP

My daughter lives in France and I would like to advise her, long distance, as I am in the US. She owns a 2015 Peugot 2008 (1.1 gasoline engine, manual) with 130,000 kilometers on it. Has started using a lot of fuel and oil. Took it to the local dealer who is telling her she needs a new engine. Looking at reviews these are regarded as average to above in reliability. Cost to replace is est. at 6,000 euros (more in dollars). Any advice on what to look for? She is asking if there is a less costly midway point between a full engine replacement, given the age/mileage?

Yea, Peugeots aren't good cars. There's a reason they left the US market :poop:

She could buy a used Toyota with that much money instead, and they are more reliable with less problems. They have the Yaris, Avensis, and Corolla Verso, for example.
My dad worked at a Mazda dealership that became a Subaru and Peugeot dealer in the late 80's. The amount of stuff that went wrong with those Peugeot's even brand new was insane and if you want to get my dad all wound up just mention that brand. Yet the people that bought them just loved them. Like the customer that bought a Peugeot 504 diesel wagon brand new and in 4 years and 40,000 miles he admitted he spent more on the car in repairs than he had purchased it brand new, but he just LOVED that thing. Those cars are the reason he got out of auto repair after 18 years.

Back