2015 Pentastar Cyl. Miss Fire

I have a 2015 Dodge Charger with 72,000 miles on it. I was on the way to work this morning and at a red light the car started shaking and the check engine light started flashing. My OBD scanner said P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire. It’s been shut off since the event. I know Pentastars are known to have Cylinder Head failures but I thought that was supposed to be fix for MY2014 and newer that’s why I bought a 15. Anyone know what else it could be and what would and wouldn’t be covered under power train warranty?

The flashing engine light is from Extreme cylinder misfire events can cause catalytic converter damage. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash when the conditions for catalytic converter damage are present.

Extreme cylinder misfire events can cause catalytic converter damage.
Only if you keep driving the car with the misfire.

I know Pentastars are known to have Cylinder Head failures but I thought that was supposed to be fix for MY2014 and newer that’s why I bought a 15
I wouldn't assume the cylinder head cracked.

Take it to a shop that knows how to diagnose, it could just be a coil or something not as catastrophic as a cracked head.

It seems that the problem with pentastar cylinder heads were always on the left, numbers 2,4 and 6. I don't think I recall ever reading or hearing about problems on the right side heads. Cylinder 5 is on the right.

I wouldn't panic. Could be just the ignition coil for #5. If this cylinder bank requires removal of the intake manifold to get to the coil, have them check the oil filter housing for leaks while they're in there. This is a good point to change spark plugs as well.

Do you know what that noise would sound like? Our Highlander threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles and it was knocking but the engine light never came on.
Go to youtube and listen to many videos of bad rockers. The intake removal, while somewhat involved, is easy enough. Remove the valve cover and inspect the rockers and camshaft if there is noise. Take your chances and install A new coil and plug. This change is simple you may as well do all six while the intake is off.

Reactions: JC1
You can swap the ignition coil from Cyl #5 with another one, and see if the misfire moves.

When's the last time that you changed the spark plugs?

New plug and swap the coil with another cylinder. Then you know if it's ignition related.
This. ^^^

Could be a lot of things that can cause that code, but swapping the coil with another one and seeing if the misfire moves to the cylinder with that coil is a very simple way to see if it is the coil and save you a lot of money. Could be a dirty or bad injector, spark plug, etc., etc...

Back