2015 Paper on Big End Bearings of WWII Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that the paper is on "BIG END" beariings, and as we've already been over, BIG END bearings don't recieve "Pressure Lubrication" for a significant part of their rotation, maybe something "BIG END" related would have been pertinent to the topic, rather than wheeling out your constant stuff about pressurised bearing and oil flow.

In the paper you linked, there are plenty of graphs showing the relationship between big end bearing oil flow rate as a function of supply pressure in both types of oil passages designs discussed in the paper - V type passage design flowed better and had less aeration than the I type passage design, so again this is just another kind of design variable which can be added to the multiple variables that can effect pressurized bearing flow. But the fact is, no matter what the design of the oil delivery passage or the bearing itself, supplying pressured oil to the bearing will always result in the bearing flowing more oil volume.

Even though big end bearings don't receive constant oil flow throughout their entire 360 deg rotation (some worse than others as in the V and I passage design examples), they still get plenty of oil flow when pressurized adequately to ensure reliability. You did noticed what was said in the paper you linked below that if supply oil pressure was reduced too much the lubrication became inadequate, which could lead to bearing failure. These guys trying to cut back the oil volume supply on modern engines by using variable volume oil pumps could be walking a thin line on reliability if they get a bit too nuts trying to save some MPG.

The guys designing those old high output airplane engines didn't care about trying to cut down the oil pressure to some absolute minimum to try and save 1% in fuel consumption - there was no "CAFE" involved back in those days. They were going for reliability as the #1 design goal.

Back in the old days big end bearings on automobiles were not fed with pressurized oil, they used either oil squirters directed to the rod bearings ("splash" design) or a small scoop on the rod cap to help "ram" oil into the bearing (quasi-pressurized method). Those bearings still survived a decent amount of mileage because the demand on the bearings wasn't as great as it is today in modern engines. As the aviation article mentioned, not force feeding the bearings with oil would have caused them to over heat and fail, so clearly they knew the benefits of force feeding bearings.

As I've said, the role of the lubrication system is to supply adequate volumes of oil at a pressure that gets it to the remotest part of the engine.

Guess that still goes along with your premise that if the oil inlet hole to the journal bearing is at only 1 ATM (0 gauge pressure) then it will have adequate lubrication. As clearly mentioned in the aviation article, that's wasn't the case with the crank pin bearings in high output aircraft piston engines used over the period 1915-1950. And it's not the case with many modern day engines with high specific power output.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yeah, other changes in the bearing design variables can also help ... but so can increased oil pressure to increase flow and cooling, which mightbe a better option then changing the physical characteristics of the bearing depending on the exact situation. This is a good example of that. Are the blinders opening up any now?

"might" ???

Well clearly, with the war effort at their disposal, "might" didn't become "was", so they clearly found the alternative means described "to avoid the issues of excessive pressure" adequate (or even superior) to the simplistic logic of increasing pressure like hotrodders, (who aren't engine designers) do.

Well, it ended up being "was" because it clearly states that the only way to keep the bearings cool enough and not prevent failure in those high output engines was to force feed them with oil pressure. Good thing the engineers designing those war plane engines knew better than to try and make them work without an adequately pressurized oiling system in order to keep the bearings cool enough to prevent planes from dropping out of the sky. Hot rodders know more than you might think, and many are designers that come up with all kinds of ways to improve engine performance and reliability.

edit...as an example, here's a paper with calculated and observed flows to a big end bearing with a couple of different crank drillings, demonstrating that sufficient pressure is required to overcome crankshaft dynamic forces and prevent cavitation in the part of the cycle where bearing supply ISN'T pressurised...
http://www.tytlabs.com/english/review/rev383epdf/e383_044suzuki.pdf

And yes, more pressure is clearly more flow and cooling...in this paper, pertinent to what happens in BIG END bearings, the topic of the thread.

Yeah, and the purpose of oil pressure is typically more than just "getting the oil to the bearing" so it can "draw" oil in from the gallery just to make up for side leakage as you keep mentioning. Start cutting back the oil pressure and you start causing aeration and a bearing temperature increase which could result in MOFT break down and eventually bearing failure.

Back in the old days big end bearings on automobiles were not fed with pressurized oil, they used either oil squirters directed to the rod bearings ("splash" design) or a small scoop on the rod cap to help "ram" oil into the bearing (quasi-pressurized method). Those bearings still survived a decent amount of mileage because the demand on the bearings wasn't as great as it is today in modern engines. As the aviation article mentioned, not force feeding the bearings with oil would have caused them to over heat and fail, so clearly they knew the benefits of force feeding bearings.

New to this lubrication stuff, aren't you, and redefining the fundamental splash lube scoop tube as to "quasi pressurised" is a nice twist.

The older big end lubrication systems were typically boundary/mixed lubrication, NOT hydrodynamic lubrication, and relied on the "oiliness" (term used back in the day) to reduce the friction and adhesion on the low load, low speed bearings...just like steam trains required (and used tallow/tallowates to effect...Castor oil was the best back then for IC)

Splash lube is clearly pretty hit and miss, at getting the "troughing" of the oil back into the collection zone every revolution, especially as speed increases...go fast enough, and there's literally no oil to scoop, let alone any "quasi" pressure lubrication...and most of what gets there is air bubbles, which aren't very lubricating, eh ?

Going to hydrodynamics, back in the day termed "zero friction" lubrication increased the life of the bearings by orders of magnitude...but required also a reliable oil supply...which was provided by internal drillings, oil pumps, and control of the oil to make up for that which was lost.

The role of the oil pump was thus (I'll say it again, and type really slow for you now)...to get sufficient volumes of oil...to the worst part of the engine.

And I'll repeat myself again...and OF COURSE, supplying more pressure than that will force more flow through the engine.

I KNOW (because youve told me multiple times) that you don't care about the "design point", but want acknowledgement that more pressure makes more flow...it does...but that's NOT what the engineers are designing at, they are designing in a safety margin so that as pumps and bearings wear, the engine as a whole will receive adequate volumes at every point.

You have stated that a proper design includes zero relief flow...which has ZERO safety margin, no allowance for operational issues and wear...guaranteed failure, which is a pretty narrow sighted view of perfection.

Interesting that the automotive industry has already moved to boundary/mixed big ends...clearly they are not jamming volumes of oil through THOSE to keep the MOFT up.

New to this lubrication stuff, aren't you, and redefining the fundamental splash lube scoop tube as to "quasi pressurised" is a nice twist.

The older big end lubrication systems were typically boundary/mixed lubrication, NOT hydrodynamic lubrication, and relied on the "oiliness" (term used back in the day) to reduce the friction and adhesion on the low load, low speed bearings...just like steam trains required (and used tallow/tallowates to effect...Castor oil was the best back then for IC)

Splash lube is clearly pretty hit and miss, at getting the "troughing" of the oil back into the collection zone every revolution, especially as speed increases...go fast enough, and there's literally no oil to scoop, let alone any "quasi" pressure lubrication...and most of what gets there is air bubbles, which aren't very lubricating, eh ?

Going to hydrodynamics, back in the day termed "zero friction" lubrication increased the life of the bearings by orders of magnitude...but required also a reliable oil supply...which was provided by internal drillings, oil pumps, and control of the oil to make up for that which was lost.

I knew you'd have a hard time grasping that "quasi-pressurized" comment ... kind of like trying to discern between "wade" and "swim" (yes, there is a difference).
smile.gif
The point was that before rod bearings where pressurized by PD oil pumps, they used an oil scoop on the bearing cap to help "ram" oil into the bearing to give it better lubrication. The ramming effect certainly did provide a slight amount of pressure from the ramming velocity which helped increase the amount of lubrication to the bearing, but obviously it wasn't a true fully pressurized lubrication (hence my "quasi" description). In this GM film they show how the oil jet directed at the cap scoop works to ram (force) oil into the bearing at high RPM and give the rod bearing a better lubrication supply - more than just a simple splash lubrication would provide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCtJlgtZnBY&feature=youtu.be&t=7m19s

The role of the oil pump was thus (I'll say it again, and type really slow for you now)...to get sufficient volumes of oil...to the worst part of the engine.

And I'll repeat myself again...and OF COURSE, supplying more pressure than that will force more flow through the engine.

In those old auto engines, the oil pump didn't provide any oil flow to the rod bearings except for the jet stream as seen in the video above - but the rest of the engine was supplied with oil from the pump, including the crankshaft main bearings.

Seems that you're now changing your tune a bit about what the PD oil pump pressure really does after all these discussions. When someone has said many times, things like "The oil pump supplies oil to the galleries, and the bearings draw the oil from the galleries...only sufficient to replace the side leakage from the bearings" or they say "The oil pump is only supplying oil to make up for the bearing's inherent side leakage, which is influenced by viscosity, RPM, speed, diameter, length, load, and diametrical clearance, it's not "flowing" oil through the bearings", make one wonder what their actual concept is of what's really going on in a pressurized oiling system.

I KNOW (because youve told me multiple times) that you don't care about the "design point", but want acknowledgement that more pressure makes more flow...it does...but that's NOT what the engineers are designing at, they are designing in a safety margin so that as pumps and bearings wear, the engine as a whole will receive adequate volumes at every point.

You have stated that a proper design includes zero relief flow...which has ZERO safety margin, no allowance for operational issues and wear...guaranteed failure, which is a pretty narrow sighted view of perfection.

Interesting that the automotive industry has already moved to boundary/mixed big ends...clearly they are not jamming volumes of oil through THOSE to keep the MOFT up.

I never said the proper design is "zero relief" - I said that from what I've seen in modern day vehicles the PD oil pump will typically NOT hit pressure relief unless the engine is near redline, and I'm talking about with oil at full operating temperature. Many engines on the road today won't even hit pressure relief at near redline with fully hot oil, so it's pretty obvious that's not a critical "design point" that car manufacturers are using these days. There is no reason to design the PD pump to be in pressure relief at much less than reline RPM. You claim PD oil pumps put too much volume out at high speeds anyway, so there's really no reason to over design it that much and make it be in pressure relief at 70% of the engine's max RPM at full operating temperature. Besides, if people take care of the engine like they are supposed to, the oil pump and bearings will hardly wear much at all by the time the vehicle is rusted off the axles.

I never said the proper design is "zero relief" -

As long as the PD oil pump is not in pressure relief, then 100% of the pump's output goes through the engine. A well designed oiling system would give max oil volume flow through the engine with hot oil and never hit pump pressure relief, but come close at near red line RPM.

wading, swimming, and never....

And you couldn't even get the direction of trend right in modern variable displacement oil pumps, suggesting that they flow less at low RPM, and more at high...like I said, this is clearly not your are of expertise or experience.

Besides, if people take care of the engine like they are supposed to, the oil pump and bearings will hardly wear much at all by the time the vehicle is rusted off the axles.

You haven't done much in the way of design either have you ?

In a probabalistic universe, everything ends up on a bell curve of one form or another.

Dimensional tolerances (you have issues with tolerance/clearance in a lot of your posts), operating parameters, variances in oil product specs being "typical, and not constituting a specification", all overlap bell curves , and you have to provide a safety margin...always.

And in an automotive oiling systems that is supposed to last for 20 years, you provide excess capacity...always.

And you couldn't even get the direction of trend right in modern variable displacement oil pumps, suggesting that they flow less at low RPM, and more at high...like I said, this is clearly not your are of expertise or experience.

You do realize I hope that in an engine with a variable displacement oil pump that the whole oiling system is impacted by the pump's variable output. The main reason car manufacturer's are using variable displacement oil pumps is to help cut down on some parasitic HP loss due to the pump. They realize that the bearings and other components don't need as much oil feeding pressure at low engine speeds and low loads compared to higher RPM and loads. The old fashioned PD oil pumps worked just fine, but car manufacturers are trying to save any tiny sliver of fuel economy they can find these days due to imposed regulations on ever increasing required engine fuel efficiency.

Anyone with google can find what they are ACTUALLY doing...

Originally Posted By: BITOG lore
As long as the PD oil pump is not in pressure relief, then 100% of the pump's output goes through the engine. A well designed oiling system would give max oil volume flow through the engine with hot oil and never hit pump pressure relief, but come close at near red line RPM.

Originally Posted By: BITOG lore
The devil is in the details. No engineer worth his salt would council running the oil pump in relief at operating temperature.

Per the first paper...

Quote:
Accord-ing to our experience, the minimum value of 12-15% of oil pump flow rate should be passed through relief valve at maximum oil temperature and rated speed.

Never would you have zero (or less) design margin in something that you would expect to be in service for hundreds of thousands of miles, and possibly decades...there's ALWAYS margin designed in, even if it costs you 50W or so.

Especially as per the second paper, when the "worst case" design point (again for the test engine) is for 2.3bar (33psi), at 6,800RPM (1,000), while the normal operating point is far lower in terms of RPM and temperature, prompting novel relief designs, and variable displacement pumps....

Funny, you never chased me into that thread...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ign#Post4226321

I knew you'd have a hard time grasping that "quasi-pressurized" comment ... kind of like trying to discern between "wade" and "swim" (yes, there is a difference).
smile.gif
The point was that before rod bearings where pressurized by PD oil pumps, they used an oil scoop on the bearing cap to help "ram" oil into the bearing to give it better lubrication. The ramming effect certainly did provide a slight amount of pressure from the ramming velocity which helped increase the amount of lubrication to the bearing, but obviously it wasn't a true fully pressurized lubrication (hence my "quasi" description). In this GM film they show how the oil jet directed at the cap scoop works to ram (force) oil into the bearing at high RPM and give the rod bearing a better lubrication supply - more than just a simple splash lubrication would provide.

aeration, intermittent, and boundary/mixed lubrication regimes...like I said...replaced with hydrodynamics and the requirement for much increased supply if flow through crank drillings...

Do the math/trig on the "accurately aimed" oil jests, and see how much of the time they are "missed entirely or partially"...your penchant is zero speed mental models...expand it our a bit...

you explained to me that an electrical motor supplied pre=oil with stationary shaft described the whole system not so long ago.

Last edited:

Hair splitting again I see. I wasn't talking about variable displacement oil pumps. Off base and can't follow the discussion as usual.

Besides, if people take care of the engine like they are supposed to, the oil pump and bearings will hardly wear much at all by the time the vehicle is rusted off the axles.

You haven't done much in the way of design either have you ?

In a probabalistic universe, everything ends up on a bell curve of one form or another.

Dimensional tolerances (you have issues with tolerance/clearance in a lot of your posts), operating parameters, variances in oil product specs being "typical, and not constituting a specification", all overlap bell curves , and you have to provide a safety margin...always.

And in an automotive oiling systems that is supposed to last for 20 years, you provide excess capacity...always

You read way to many "papers" and don't have enough real world experience. How many oil pumps and crank/rod bearings have you seen an engine going through if the engine is well maintained. I've seen engines with well over 200K miles that haven't ever had the internals touched, and the oil pressure is the same as it was when brand new and it runs just as strong as the day it was made. Then I've seen engines that have been abused and the oil & filter hardly ever changed, or ran low on oil that smoked themselves before 50K miles. Lack of maintenance kills oil pumps and bearings, and designers aren't going to over design pumps because they think some moron isn't going to ever maintain the engine. Designing an oil pump to put out so much volume that it's in pressure relief at 70% of engine redline when the oil is 200+ deg F is a total waste.

Hair splitting again I see. I wasn't talking about variable displacement oil pumps. Off base and can't follow the discussion as usual.

You weren't, you were specifically talking about constant "PD" pumps in that thread...specifically Positive, fixed displacement pumps, and their relief...and you were wrong...

You read way to many "papers" and don't have enough real world experience. How many oil pumps and crank/rod bearings have you seen an engine going through if the engine is well maintained. I've seen engines with well over 200K miles that haven't ever had the internals touched, and the oil pressure is the same as it was when brand new and it runs just as strong as the day it was made.

Because the OEM puts in a safety margin...they design their reliability models around all of the overlapping bell curves, and set up the model such that their risk model (risk of them running foul of lemon laws and 60 minutes) is at an acceptable business risk.

As to real world experience...what's yours ?

I know, it's top secret...

smile.gif

aeration, intermittent, and boundary/mixed lubrication regimes...like I said...replaced with hydrodynamics and the requirement for much increased supply if flow through crank drillings...

Do the math/trig on the "accurately aimed" oil jests, and see how much of the time they are "missed entirely or partially"...your penchant is zero speed mental models...expand it our a bit...

you explained to me that an electrical motor supplied pre=oil with stationary shaft described the whole system not so long ago.

I didn't say the pre-oiler example "described the whole system" ... once again, you can't follow any kind of analogy to get a point across. The pre-oiler example was to show that the bearings will also flow oil due to the pressure factor because there is a real clearance there for pressure to force through the clearance. They don't flow ONLY from drawing oil due to their rotation - as has been discussed many time now, with lots of "techical" papers describing the factor due to suppl pressure. Remember when you claimed in about 2 dozen different quotes that the oil pump doesn't force any oil through the bearings, that they only draw what they need from the galleries?

Mine...have pulled apart and built a handfull of engines, have been technical editor on quite a few more.

Career, included pushing machines around their Sommerfeld (sic...Summerfeld LOL, couldn't even "speel enjunar") number to improve vibration parameters (stability and oil whirl and whip), and temperature rise across bearing and through bearings (metal temperatures and oil temperatures)). Used every single parameter in the bearing design curve to achieve my results.

Can tune the Booster Baffler, Bypass Baffler, (oh, and the pressure relief valve) to set 3 different oil pressure control points...

You weren't, you were specifically talking about constant "PD" pumps in that thread...specifically Positive, fixed displacement pumps, and their relief...and you were wrong...

I've never seen any fixed PD pump that goes into pressure relief until very near redline, and some won't even hit the pressure relief setting even at redline when at full operating oil temperature. Maybe if a much heavier oil than specified was used it would, but with specified oil the relief won't happen way before redline revs. If every fixed PD pump was over designed to be in pressure relief at 70% of max engine speed, then it would be evident because the oil pressure would peak out way before redline, and in all the high performance cars I've owned and driven, the oil pressure still increases pretty much right up to redline.

You read someplace in a "paper" that some yahoos believe and oil pump should be designed to be in pressure relief well before redline, than believe is must be some kind of gospel design criteria.

You, an engineer, versed in hydraulics and thermodynamics, were espousing your view of the perfect design.

A design with no safety margin...none...

That as your premise (and that of CATERHAM too).

Do you still espouse that a properly designed system has no relief flow in the normal operating condition ?

Last edited:
You read way to many "papers" and don't have enough real world experience. How many oil pumps and crank/rod bearings have you seen an engine going through if the engine is well maintained. I've seen engines with well over 200K miles that haven't ever had the internals touched, and the oil pressure is the same as it was when brand new and it runs just as strong as the day it was made.

Because the OEM puts in a safety margin...they design their reliability models around all of the overlapping bell curves, and set up the model such that their risk model (risk of them running foul of lemon laws and 60 minutes) is at an acceptable business risk.

How many engines have you seen fail because the oil pump wasn't designed to run in pressure relief at 70% of engine redline? Answer .. zero, and even engines with 200K miles or more that are properly maintained will have minimal pump and bearing wear over that time. Oil pump failures are very rare, and most are due to maintenance neglect.

Making the pump hit pressure relief very near redline has plenty of design safety margin - mostly since an engine's time in that high rev region is a fraction of a percent of it's total run time. There are literally millions of cars on the road with oil pumps that can't even hit pressure relief at redline with 200 deg F oil (designed that way), and they never have any kind of lubrication failure. They rust out in 20 years and the engines are still going strong.

BTW, your crying about editing is pretty funny.
wink.gif

How many engines have you seen fail because the oil pump wasn't designed to run in pressure relief at 70% of engine redline? Answer .. zero, and even engines with 200K miles or more that are properly maintained will have minimal pump and bearing wear over that time. Oil pump failures are very rare, and most are due to maintenance neglect.

Making the pump hit pressure relief very near redline has plenty of design safety margin - mostly since an engine's time in that high rev region is a fraction of a percent of it's total run time. There are literally millions of cars on the road with oil pumps that can't even hit pressure relief at redline with 200 deg F oil (designed that way), and they never have any kind of lubrication failure. They rust out in 20 years and the engines are still going strong.

quoted for posterity, before you change it...

BTW, your crying about editing is pretty funny.
wink.gif

Making the pump hit pressure relief very near redline has plenty of design safety margin - mostly since an engine's time in that high rev region is a fraction of a percent of it's total run time.

Go back a few posts...bell curves, by definition only some few percent of an engine's lifetime operation is ever at the extreme.

But you posit that they are jamming a full pump's volume THROUGH that engine at every other point of the curve to keep temperatures (the extreme end of the bell curve) again under control ?

And go back (please) to your posit that the variable displacement oil pumps were low flow at low RPM (hydraulic systems and Honda papers be [censored]), and flow more at higher RPM...you've sidestepped your posit...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back