2015 Honda Pilot ... Transmission question

2015 Pilot 107k

If I start vehicle and immediately put into drive the transmission occasionally slips/jerks and engine flutters.

Transmission works perfectly if I wait 10 seconds and try to do that and shifts smoothly and correctly.

Thoughts?

Level ok?

Guessing it has to build pressure or pump something up. My 24 year old car does the same thing, would not guess such a new car would. Could be a sign of doom, could a minor thing not worth fixing. I’d just count to ten and see if the issue gets worse.

Differential diagnosis: not the trans. Car in cold start / open loop? maybe time for plugs, valve adjustment, something that isn’t up to snuff until it gets a bit of heat or relearns or something.

2015 Pilot 107k

If I start vehicle and immediately put into drive the transmission occasionally slips/jerks and engine flutters.

Transmission works perfectly if I wait 10 seconds and try to do that and shifts smoothly and correctly.

Thoughts?
Jean-luc Facepalm.gif

The reason I ask is auto start / stop on wife’s 18 Tiguan is let brake pedal go engine starts and car goes.

The Tiguan and this Pilot are the first automatics I have ever owned in 30 years driving .

Honda isn't known for stellar transmission characteristics, did you verify the fluid level is correct?

Look under the car for evidence of transmission fluid leaking out. Is there a dipstick?

Another thing that happens when the level is low is the transmission tends to drop out of gear when turning corners.

My f150 does similar if it’s sat a full day or two. my “start sequence” gives about 15-30 seconds to wheels up. That solves it.

Based on your description, it's clear that the issue with your 2015 Honda Pilot is related to the transmission. Here's what you need to do:

First, check the transmission fluid. The symptoms you're experiencing can be caused by low or old transmission fluid. Make sure the fluid is at the correct level and is not overdue for a change. Honda generally recommends changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 to 60,000 miles, depending on your specific model and driving conditions.

Second, consider the possibility of a draining torque converter. If the torque converter is draining back into the transmission when the vehicle is off, it would take a few seconds to refill upon starting. This could cause the transmission to slip if you shift into drive before the torque converter is fully refilled.

Finally, given your vehicle's mileage (107k), wear and tear on the transmission could be a factor. Worn seals or internal components could be causing this issue.

While waiting a few seconds before shifting into drive might mitigate the issue temporarily, it's not a long-term solution. You need to address the root cause to prevent further damage. I strongly recommend getting your vehicle inspected by a professional who can accurately diagnose and fix the problem.

Oh, and don't continue the abusive practice of putting your transmission in drive immediately after you start your engine. That's like swinging a baseball bat hard and letting it go between your legs, then coming here and asking us if you should do it again. That's why I replied with a facepalm meme earlier.

One more thing: step shift automatics have oil pumps. Yours might have a worn out oil pump. When the clutches don't get enough fluid, they tend to slip and jerk, and if you continue this practice, you will burn them out in no time.

Take action and get this resolved. Good luck with your Honda Pilot.

FYI
My friend has some slippage issues with his Ridgeline (same engine I think but not sure about the trans) and dealer has been telling him to flush the trans fluid couple of time ... He was pretty upset because it's very near the end of his warranty period but dealer wants him to flush first.

FYI
My friend has some slippage issues with his Ridgeline (same engine I think but not sure about the trans) and dealer has been telling him to flush the trans fluid couple of time ... He was pretty upset because it's very near the end of his warranty period but dealer wants him to flush first.

Dealer wants to rule out fluid issue. May be a requirement in the diag for that transmission from Honda as well. Considering the fluid can look so worn out on transmissions so quickly

would try to take the approach on that is…yea go ahead and do the fluid in it…but if it needs a unit or hard parts you need to bill that fluid service to warranty as well

Transmission fluid level is fine and was changed in last 25k miles when the service indicator popped up .

Just trying to figure out next move on this Pilot worth around $10-$11k (base model) in need of timing belt/plugs soon.

My plan on keeping is 5 years(about 50k) otherwise.

Back