2015 Ford Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, 5,057 miles

I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for this OCI, hoping that the increased protection they advertised might help resist the fuel dilution that I keep seeing on UOAs; it would appear that I was only partially successful in that. I had mentioned keeping an eye on the coolant level in my notes to them, in light of the overheat scare on my trip to the Dragon, hence why they mentioned it in return; might've jinxed myself though.

My friends think I'm a little nuts for doing this on every oil change, and they might have a point, but the added cost isn't a big deal to me.

Attachments

• blackstonereport_7.jpg
    blackstonereport_7.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 307
  • blackstonereport_7.jpg
    blackstonereport_7.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 305
What oil did you switch from? The other UOAs all look pretty similar in additive composition. One thing you can do that will help the fuel numbers is to take it for a ~15 mile drive, then immediately drain and capture the sample.

It's showing "TR" or trace amounts and the value is so low that Blackstone doesn't give a number. If I'm not mistaken, this fuel-injection design will always allow some fuel, so the lower the better.

You are putting miles on this car rather quickly. The wear metals are low, so the slightly lower viscosity and minor fuel dilution don't seem to be of any concern. I would extend the OCI to at least 8,000 miles, maybe more.

What were the previous fills? I just send off an UOA of a new to me 2015 fusion 2.0L with 3k on the sample.

While you didn't mention what the IOLM read, the UOAs are indicating you can extend the OCIs out. Try perhaps 7.5k miles and see how things go.
You're only "nuts" if you pay for information and then ignore it. If you use the UOA to maximize the investment (safely), then it's not a waste at all.

I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for this OCI, hoping that the increased protection they advertised might help resist the fuel dilution that I keep seeing on UOAs; it would appear that I was only partially successful in that. I had mentioned keeping an eye on the coolant level in my notes to them, in light of the overheat scare on my trip to the Dragon, hence why they mentioned it in return; might've jinxed myself though.

My friends think I'm a little nuts for doing this on every oil change, and they might have a point, but the added cost isn't a big deal to me.
All the runs look good and the oils look similar. What were the other oils and weights used?

All the runs look good and the oils look similar. What were the other oils and weights used?
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is the only other oil I've used in this car since I got it; I worked at a shop that used Pennzoil products at the time so that part was a no brainer (IMO). I changed shops earlier this year so that access went away, and since the UP is marketed as a step up from the regular Platinum, I figured why not?

While you didn't mention what the IOLM read, the UOAs are indicating you can extend the OCIs out. Try perhaps 7.5k miles and see how things go.
You're only "nuts" if you pay for information and then ignore it. If you use the UOA to maximize the investment (safely), then it's not a waste at all.
The Ford IOLM counts down from 10,000 miles or so every time it is reset; normally shows 50% every time I change it. I like to change it every 5k because my commute does involve stop-and-go driving. You aren't the first person on here to tell me that I could try extending the interval, but I'm not doing that until I get this oil loss issue (that I'm pretty sure is due a small leak off the timing cover) addressed. Problem is THAT is easier said than done...

I will also admit I am not a believer in fixing processes that are not broke, and since I clearly seem to be doing something right changing it every 5k, why deviate from that?

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. I have no idea what the PO was putting in (bought used from Carmax with 38k on it) but I'm guessing they used reasonably good stuff if the metals are as low as they are.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is the only other oil I've used in this car since I got it; I worked at a shop that used Pennzoil products at the time so that part was a no brainer (IMO). I changed shops earlier this year so that access went away, and since the UP is marketed as a step up from the regular Platinum, I figured why not?
Thanks for the info. Think I'll try the Ultra when I run out of my AFE. I also agree that shorter ocis are better if one is doing alot of short run city driving.

You are putting miles on this car rather quickly. The wear metals are low, so the slightly lower viscosity and minor fuel dilution don't seem to be of any concern. I would extend the OCI to at least 8,000 miles, maybe more.
I've been sharing the car with my folks since April of this year; they're between cars at present so they use mine when needed; before that my per week mileage was about ~200 or so; now it's about double that. Hopefully that won't be the case for much longer.

What were the previous fills? I just send off an UOA of a new to me 2015 fusion 2.0L with 3k on the sample.
5.7 quarts (nominally) of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Last couple fills have been 6 quarts (3 tenths over spec doesn't seem like it hurts anything, plus the dipstick design on this engine is a little odd IMO).

What octane are you using?
87, for the most part. I have occasionally run 93 in this car , with mixed results. The problem is that in my neck of the woods, most Shell retailers (I only run Top Tier gas in this thing and I like Shell fuels) like to charge a dollar more for premium over regular, so it's sometimes hard to justify the cost over regular for benefits that are difficult (at best) to discern, as well as sometimes having to fill up every 2-3 days, depending on who is using the car and when.

Ford official line on the matter, from the owners manual, is below, but every brochure I have read for the 2nd generation Fusion says that the advertised 240 bhp for the 13-16 2.0L cars was achieved using premium, and I distinctly remember Car and Driver outing Ford as having certified ALL The Ecoboost engines using premium (though I don't remember which article, otherwise I'd link it).

Attachments

• fusionfueloctane.jpg
    fusionfueloctane.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 15
What oil did you switch from? The other UOAs all look pretty similar in additive composition. One thing you can do that will help the fuel numbers is to take it for a ~15 mile drive, then immediately drain and capture the sample.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. I usually try and take samples with the engine reasonably, but a 15 mile drive is difficult to do when I'm at work.

87, for the most part. I have occasionally run 93 in this car , with mixed results. The problem is that in my neck of the woods, most Shell retailers (I only run Top Tier gas in this thing and I like Shell fuels) like to charge a dollar more for premium over regular, so it's sometimes hard to justify the cost over regular for benefits that are difficult (at best) to discern, as well as sometimes having to fill up every 2-3 days, depending on who is using the car and when.

Ford official line on the matter, from the owners manual, is below, but every brochure I have read for the 2nd generation Fusion says that the advertised 240 bhp for the 13-16 2.0L cars was achieved using premium, and I distinctly remember Car and Driver outing Ford as having certified ALL The Ecoboost engines using premium (though I don't remember which article, otherwise I'd link it).

using 87 more than likely has something to do with your fuel dilution because of direct injection. With lower octane fuels, the ecu will command the injectors an extra spray before combustion to cool cylinder temps. I noticed when I run 87, the oil smells like fuel. But on 93, it’s not so evident at all.

try to run back to back tanks of 93 octane for an entire oil change. I know gas is expensive but I’ve resolved this issue nearly for good in my fusion.
using 87 more than likely has something to do with your fuel dilution because of direct injection. With lower octane fuels, the ecu will command the injectors an extra spray before combustion to cool cylinder temps. I noticed when I run 87, the oil smells like fuel. But on 93, it’s not so evident at all.
Will consider. That might also explain why my long term fuel trim is showing a slight lean condition (normally hovers around 10 at idle and 5 under load, while short term fuel trim stays more or less at 0).

Back