2015 Ford F-250 6.7L - which filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all close in price ... surprising that the MC was near the top for cost. If the Royal Purple is full synthetic I'd probably go with that.

Really, I like all those choices, to the point that I'd have to buy by price and availability. You're probably aware that the Baldwin and Hastings are the same filter with a different paint job.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Do we *really* need separate threads for each of these?

What is next? What brand of diesel should you use?

Dude even though I have been in Gauley Bridge, WV, relax. He got a brand new truck today.

I say Amsoil, but since you'll likely be changing per the IOLM(the diesel does have one, right? I don't know) then the MC is a good choice under warranty.

Or, since it was mentioned in the oil thread that you might be extending, then Amsoil.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
They are all close in price ... surprising that the MC was near the top for cost. If the Royal Purple is full synthetic I'd probably go with that.

+1 or an Amsoil unit.

OP- thanks for including links to each filter! Good thinking.

looking at the price for the MC filter i'd be inclined to use a boutique brand. The RP filter looks like a bargain considering the others.

Last edited:
Found the MC on Amazon at a much cheaper price. Amazon is strange at times with pricing/vendors.

Motorcraft is a good filter and during warranty I'll probably stay with it, also you can easily get it locally instead of mail order Baldwin and Hastings.

Fram doesn't make Ultra filter for F-250 ?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I say Amsoil, but since you'll likely be changing per the IOLM(the diesel does have one, right? I don't know) then the MC is a good choice under warranty. Or, since it was mentioned in the oil thread that you might be extending, then Amsoil.
thumbsup2.gif

It does have an iOLM. I spoke at length with the service manager today before I bought it and although I realize that it could simply be a way to generate business, he recommended that I go for 5K OCIs. It has been a while since I have owned a diesel and certainly not one advanced like all of them are these days and so I will be "learning" as I go. I will definitely be testing the oil to find a sweet spot because 13 QTs will add up over time per OC, but **most** of the HDEOs are pretty reasonable, e.g. Rotella T is $68.00 per five gallon bucket.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Fram doesn't make Ultra filter for F-250?
They do for the 6.2L gasoline engine and had I bought one of those, I would be all set on filters and oil
grin.gif
. The 6.2L uses a XG2 and xW-20--which I happen to have a bit of both on the shelf. They only make a Extra Guard for the 6.7L (I will pass on that one).

Motorcraft.It is all that is needed You will not wear out the engine. Check to see it the turbo is water cooled . Then go from there. You have the DEF fluid and the regens etc. It is hard to pour oil from a 5 gallon bucket. I gallon jugs work well.

Try Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Motorcraft.It is all that is needed You will not wear out the engine. Check to see it the turbo is water cooled . Then go from there. You have the DEF fluid and the regens etc. It is hard to pour oil from a 5 gallon bucket. I gallon jugs work well.
Agree on that--the 2.5 gallon jugs work out to the same price and would be much easier to handle.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I spoke at length with the service manager today before I bought it and although I realize that it could simply be a way to generate business, he recommended that I go for 5K OCIs.

I'm sure he would have had a stroke over your previous OCIs.
wink.gif

Another angry, "small" man.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I spoke at length with the service manager today before I bought it and although I realize that it could simply be a way to generate business, he recommended that I go for 5K OCIs.
I'm sure he would have had a stroke over your previous OCIs.
wink.gif

LOL - curiously enough, I brought all of my UOA documentation in and the used car manager had NO clue what they were and was (as typical) attempting to lowball me on the trade price. The salesman (sensing a lost deal in the making) brought the fleet manager over and he looked at the UOAs. After 5 minutes, he looked at the used car manager and said, "There is nothing wrong with that truck or the OCIs, give him what he is asking for it." Worked for me
grin.gif

Rock Auto oil filters
Thanks for this! A good price on the MCs, just need to see if the shipping is a killer. I seem to recall there is always a 5% discount code around for Rock Auto.

I rather enjoy them.

Rock Auto oil filters
Thanks for this! A good price on the MCs, just need to see if the shipping is a killer. I seem to recall there is always a 5% discount code around for Rock Auto.
Buy a couple of filters etc I just bought a bunch of supplies for my new p/u's over maintenance, at quite a savings. Shipping is more than fair.

The MC would be my first choice.

Wix would work well and be my #2.

Availability can be a problem with Hastings and Baldwin but either would be well made and very serviceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back