2015 ford 6.2 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys my truck just rolled 9,500 miles. Day 1 it's made this noise but now it does it when it's warm it used to only do it when it was cold. When I first start the truck you can hear something ping or knock until the oil pump starts pumping oil is this normal? Or does it need to go in?

What filter are you using?

*Might be a case by case thing, but my dad's 6.2 has a slight tick with M1 filters. Nothing like what my Jeep is, but it is non existent with MC filters.

I have yet to try anything but these 2.

Last edited:
I don't know what sound you are referring to but i have found that when an engine makes noise under warranty the dealers could very seldom hear it until it is out of warranty .. I was in court 4 times in the last two years being an expert witness during lemon law cases and they all seem to be the same. Sometimes they petend not to hear anything because they dont get paid well on warranty work and sometimes when they put it back together the customer is still not happy its a catch 22 for the dealer sometimes.

It's like a lifter noise or something but a couple of seconds after its running it goes away, I also notice it when I change the oil

if its therer just some of the time and sounds like a lifter it is probably in the top of the engine...What oil and filter are you using?

Originally Posted By: Fordbossguy
Kendall gt-1 full syn 5w-20 with a motorcraft filter

Try a different oil filter

My old 98 Taurus knocked when cold started when not using a silicone ADBV. Don't know if that's the case with you.

See about any TSBs at the dealer for that concern.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Kendall gt-1 full syn 5w-20 with a motorcraft filter

Try a different oil filter

He's using an OEM filter, he shouldn't have to change to a different filter.

I'd take it in. For what new vehicles cost, no way in h**l would I be accepting anything but a purring engine.

I'm with those recommending a different oil filter (preferably one with a silcone ADBV). I believe the filter on the Ford 6.2 is mounted horizontally? Maybe it's draining after sitting?

Well I took the truck in and they had it 2 days, It made the noise for them they said it was normal, the galleys drain down and the motor has to pump oil back up to the lifters to oil them. It's typical with the 6.2 they have had quite a bit of questioning on it from day on with it. Love my dealer they always take good care of me have me a brand new f250 platinum to drive unt my truck was done.

I still think a motorcraft filter will put that to an end.
wink.gif

the galleys drain down and the motor has to pump oil back up to the lifters to oil them.

I can see 5W-20 being the problem right there. The oil is so thin (especially when it's hot) that it drains off of everything including the lifters. But it keeps the oil pan well lubricated doesn't it!

He is already using a Motorcraft filter!
Using a thicker Viscosity oil will some what quiet the motor but this is only a band aid!
My sons 5.4L 3V really likes 0W-40! You can actually carry on a conversation in front of the truck now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back