2015 Focus Battery Placement

They are a bunch of Bozos. All you need is a menu item choice under "Maintenance" for all this stuff. Trouble codes and whatever. It ain't that hard!
Heck Tesla allows you to do a lotta things with voice commands and updates are generally done via OTA functionality.

I wanted to be impressed with this little Focus SE, but so far so bad...
I love the driving dynamics of my Focus SE (of course I probably wouldn't say this if I had an A/T but I did my research and bought a 5 speed which has had no issues). There are a few things I don't like such as the dashboard, coffee holders etc...there isn't one flat area to put a phone, wallet etc...but driving the car is fun.

I love the driving dynamics of my Focus SE (of course I probably wouldn't say this if I had an A/T but I did my research and bought a 5 speed which has had no issues). There are a few things I don't like such as the dashboard, coffee holders etc...there isn't one flat area to put a phone, wallet etc...but driving the car is fun.
Yes, the car is fun and has sharp looks. My complaints are with some of the maintenance issues. I plan to learn more about this car and help take care of it. In 70K, it has had no issues that I am aware of. Can't beat that!

Does anyone else think the engineers are just snickering at us with procedures for BMS or seat belt chimes that seemingly require a monkey-in-a-lab procedure to supposedly do something....and even then it only works 20% of the time?

"Check this out, let's make them buckle and unbuckle the seat belt 55.32 times while simultaneously flashing the brights 4 times and opening the trunk lid 15 times! All in under 28 seconds. And even if they do it right program it to fail on the first two attempts so we can see if they're dumb enough to try a THIRD time!"

edit: I also use Forscan for BMS but some of the seat belt chime disable procedures drive me nuts

This one hits home in one specific area: rear brake jobs on anything equipped with an electric parking brake integrated into the caliper. 99% of systems require a scan tool with OE level functionality to put the calipers in "service mode". The single outlier? Mopar. The Uconnect screen has a vehicle maintenance menu which includes the ability to set the calipers in service mode. It's AMAZING.

This one hits home in one specific area: rear brake jobs on anything equipped with an electric parking brake integrated into the caliper. 99% of systems require a scan tool with OE level functionality to put the calipers in "service mode".

My 2013 Volt didn't. But I think it has a regular parking brake cable going to the rear calipers. I replaced the rear pads and rotors shortly after I got it because the previous owner had purchased the parts because he thought the rear brakes were making noise. I didn't hear anything but I replace those parts since I had them.

This one hits home in one specific area: rear brake jobs on anything equipped with an electric parking brake integrated into the caliper. 99% of systems require a scan tool with OE level functionality to put the calipers in "service mode". The single outlier? Mopar. The Uconnect screen has a vehicle maintenance menu which includes the ability to set the calipers in service mode. It's AMAZING.
I definitly feel the automakers try to make their vehicles as unfriendly to DIY's as possible....some much more so than others.

Does anyone else think the engineers are just snickering at us with procedures for BMS or seat belt chimes that seemingly require a monkey-in-a-lab procedure to supposedly do something....and even then it only works 20% of the time?

"Check this out, let's make them buckle and unbuckle the seat belt 55.32 times while simultaneously flashing the brights 4 times and opening the trunk lid 15 times! All in under 28 seconds. And even if they do it right program it to fail on the first two attempts so we can see if they're dumb enough to try a THIRD time!"

edit: I also use Forscan for BMS but some of the seat belt chime disable procedures drive me nuts
I believe that some of these engineers must have caught their Wife/Husband, whatever the case may be, with a body shop employee or a mechanic. The way a lot of cars are put together or the asinine procedures that they say you should follow is their way to get revenge. 🤔😉

I have yet to do the brakes on the Chrysler, but that day will come soon because my Son will inherit this car. I remember the day that I realized that they integrated this feature in the maintenance screen, I thought “good on them” for making this DIY friendly.

Ford has a sequence something like key on, electronic park brake on, key off, key on e brake off.

I believe that some of these engineers must have caught their Wife/Husband, whatever the case may be, with a body shop employee or a mechanic. The way a lot of cars are put together or the asinine procedures that they say you should follow is their way to get revenge. 🤔😉

Many engineers have no practical experience doing MRO work of any kind.

One of my old neighbors is an EE (electrical engineer). Called me up one day to ask who I recommend to service his AC unit. I said let's go look at it and see if it might be something we can fix ourselves.

Opened it up and the capacitor was bulged out. Got a new one for $15 and put it in, fixed the problem.

He told me he was afraid to open it for fear of getting electrocuted. An EE...wow.

Fords have a method to engage maintenance mode for brake service, no scan tool required. I'll grant it is not as easy as checking a button, but there is a method.

Also on the BMS reset, you can drop a new battery in there and not resetting it won't actually kill anything. The fact that it does reset a monitoring counter you can see in Forscan makes it appear it likely does something in the charging algorithim. What, I don't know... so I reset mine when I replaced the battery in my F150.

For those with or maintaining a later model Ford, getting set up with Forscan an be useful and helpful. Literally only cost me for the dongle I use with the PC I run forscan on...

Last edited:
Many engineers have no practical experience doing MRO work of any kind.

One of my old neighbors is an EE (electrical engineer). Called me up one day to ask who I recommend to service his AC unit. I said let's go look at it and see if it might be something we can fix ourselves.

Opened it up and the capacitor was bulged out. Got a new one for $15 and put it in, fixed the problem.

He told me he was afraid to open it for fear of getting electrocuted. An EE...wow.
Yeah, an electrical engineer isn't the same as an electrician or service tech. He can design circuits but doesn't have practical hands on experience. In theory he should know that if he does it with one hand, he shouldn't get electrocuted anyway, no pathway to the heart that way.

Back