2015 Civic 1.8L R18 help narrowing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I've been a long time lurker, probably started coming to this site in 2006.

I've learned a lot from this forum over the years but just wanted to touch base on what everyone thinks about my current setup.

My previous car was a 2010 Honda Fit Sport with the 1.5L L15 engine, at the time it came out Honda spec'd 5w20 for it, it's first change at around 9700 miles according to the OLM at 5% was with standard label Mobil 1 5w20 so thats what I stuck with it. I also used the Honda OEM filter. I never did any oil testing on it but it seemed good.

Just clicked over 1000 miles on my new 2015 Civic with the 1.8L R18A1. Based on past experience with Hondas MM system I could often times see it pushing 10k miles. Since my past experience with M1, I'll likely stick with it. Hondas now spec a 0w20 so I'm eyeing the AFE and the EP M1 products in that weight.

Given that it doesn't seem uncommon based on driving habits to see the maintenance monitor push 10k miles. Would it be advised I go for the EP?

As for filters, for easy availability not having to order online or go to a dealer I was thinking just running a M1 EP, or Purolator PureOne.

I try not to overthink the whole oil thing, but it's hard sometimes. Just looking for suggestions on what you all might think would be a good trouble free option for my Civic for years of worry free operation. I plan on keeping this car a long time.

Also have considered going with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. Whatever I choose I want to stick with it, I don't like jumping around brands.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

M1 is great oil, and any 0w20 can be used to the MM's suggested OCI's in both cars with confidence
smile.gif

The M1 and P1 are both good filters as well. AAP does have those specials going on with the M1 and M1 filter.

Even Havoline synthetic 0w20 can do the Honda OEM intervals, and it's also on sale at AAP at a great price! $21.99 with the P1 filter.

For cars with a MM like yours, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale for the OCI it recommends. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with M1 EP.

Running ep in my accord. Pretty confident that any synthetic will handle the MM fine, and I'll go on a limb and say a 5w20 blend will even go 7.5k. Nice car!

Welcome! glad you joined! I would recommend using the M1 AFE 0w20 paired with a Fram Ultra oil filter, this combo is available at Walmart for a great price. A 10,000 miles OCI (if MM goes that far) is perfectly fine with this combo. You could also use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 or M1 EP 0w20, all of these are valid options. I would stick to either Fram Ultra, Honda OEM, or Fram Tough Guard oil filters in that order, stay away from Pure One or any Purolator filters until they have the media tearing issues worked out. Best of luck! and again, WELCOME TO BITOG!

I tell you what, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Scion and it's the stuff dreams are made of.

Originally Posted By: Luisraul924
I tell you what, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Scion and it's the stuff dreams are made of.
why only 4500 with a fram ultra?

QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum, or Pennzoil Ultra if you get on sale.

Ultra gave me ring float, CATERHAM advised against PU in the Fit, and was right, I still have to do a big followup on that whole thing still have two jugs Ultra left.

Ultra may be a bit better suited to the Civic, it is "almost a 30 weight" but you don't get my cold temps.

Why you get rid of your Fit??? You'll miss it! LOL

I personally would run any 5W20 synthetic, but if you can find a good 0W20 synthetic why not.

Filter, always WIX.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick responses everyone, that being said I have decided to stick with Mobil 1 having not had an issue with it. And just because it can often be found at WM for a good price, likely the 0w20 EP flavor. And likely also the Fram Ultra seems to be the good stuff these days.

[Falken] I got rid of the Fit because my average of 26k miles a year driving I have finally said goodbye to the manual transmission life, 10 years of only driving manuals, hypermilling till my hearts content, just can't do it anymore. 26k miles a year isn't even that much by some standards but in traffic it's just killing me.

My sport bike has enough power to pull itself up hills in 6th, the 96 wheel HP Honda Fit not so much, awesome little car but it was time to say goodbye. I'm hoping for the best of luck with my venture into CVT, I've heard the good, I've heard the bad. We will see, hopefully it will be a fairly trouble free platform for me.

M1 EP and Fram Ultra is a great combo. My only problem with Walmart is that their good prices require you to get the 5qt jug, which is a problem when your engine takes less than the full jug.

Since the R18 only takes 4 qt, you'll have a quart left over in that big bottle. Therefore, if there's an Advance nearby, go there instead, because their sale this month includes the M1 filter and you can buy individual quart bottles, which are easier to pour, and the remaining quart is in a smaller, and unopened, bottle.

Didn't think about it like that, I've been basically wasting about a quart left in a 5qt jug for a long time. Didn't think about parts store deals where i could get it in individual bottles.

After 4 jugs, you end up with enough oil for the next change. And, you will have some leftover oil for topping off, or other stuff... I've never wasted oil and it can sit in the jug a long time.

Can't beat the price rollbacks at wallyworld... unless finding clearances/rebated oil at Oreillys, Napa, Autozone, Advance, or Pepboys.

Use the oil life monitor, stick with any full synth oil, and use a quality filter... and keep driving.

26k and year.... consider a bypass filter unless you fear the warranty.

30k is a good time for ATF drain/refills.

Irrelevant to anything but I just thought I would add that apparently my 2015 has an R18Z1 engine not the A1, not sure when that got changed in the USA, Wikipedia says the Z1 is primarily for the Asian market. Engine was made in Indiana USA though.

Edit, nevermind, the R18A1/A2 was the older version in the 8th gen civic, got updated slightly and coded Z1 for the 9th gen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back