2015 Buick Regal ATF Change

Given that I’d probably be looking at a boutique product.
A solid plan for sure. For me, drain/fills is so simple on them, I'd rather do regular drain/fills. As easy as an engine oil change on my Malibu and Traverse.

Given that I’d probably be looking at a boutique product.
Or try what I just did - that Tahoe used to drain pristine fluid every spring - but now it’s driven in a hilly region - constantly shifting - and it darkens Valvoline Dex VI in a year …

likely didn’t change the fluid soon enough. any transmission fluid will end up dark and nasty if not changed regularly enough. and more people fall under the “severe” operating tables than realize.

take bumper to bumper traffic’s for example. your vehicle will make the 1-2 and maybe even 2-3 shift every time you start moving. that is a lot of wear and tear for no reason. i engage tow haul in my truck to make it stay in first for this reason.
Here is one severe bucket:
Live in Texas 😶

In Traverse/Acadia world, with the 9T65 or the 2009-2017 6 speed version, you'll find the fluid to be black by 30K miles. There is an owner of a 2023 traverse on a traverse forum that just did a transmission fluid spill and fill at 9900 miles and he claims it was very dark. The popular licensed Dex VI over there is Mobil1 blue label Dex VI.

In Malibu world with the 6T40, 45. The fluid will be ugly by ~30K miles as well.

You can't change filters on these units, so frequent spill n fills or a line off fluid exchange if you wanna fiddle with hard lines and flying circlips is the only way to maximize the life of them.
I just did a drain and fill on my ‘21 9T65 and was surprised it was still pretty red. Smelled perfectly normal as well.

it’s actually cheaper atm for licensed Dex Vi.

View attachment 213441

View attachment 213442
Dang, had no idea standard ATF was that expensive.

We sell Chevron synthetic for around $1600 a drum, and about $300 of that is shipping. (Costs us around $10,000 a week for trucking a ~48k lb van load of product.

One customer requires totes of Mobil 1 synthetic and that's about about $40 a gallon... roughly $13,000.

Dang, had no idea ATF was that expensive.

We sell Chevron synthetic for around $1600 a drum, and about $300 of that is shipping. (Costs us around $10,000 a week for trucking a ~48k lb van load of product.
Check out Mopar 8&9 Speed if you want to see expensive 😵‍💫

I just did a drain and fill on my ‘21 9T65 and was surprised it was still pretty red. Smelled perfectly normal as well.
How many miles were on your 2021 when you changed the ATF?

When I did the first D/F on my 2021 a few days after buying it with ~30500 miles on it, the ATF was pretty dark, but no bad smells.

In Traverse/Acadia world, with the 9T65 or the 2009-2017 6 speed version, you'll find the fluid to be black by 30K miles. There is an owner of a 2023 traverse on a traverse forum that just did a transmission fluid spill and fill at 9900 miles and he claims it was very dark. The popular licensed Dex VI over there is Mobil1 blue label Dex VI.

In Malibu world with the 6T40, 45. The fluid will be ugly by ~30K miles as well.

You can't change filters on these units, so frequent spill n fills or a line off fluid exchange if you wanna fiddle with hard lines and flying circlips is the only way to maximize the life of them.
I see a lot of people claiming this on the Malibu Forums yet the GF's 2013 Malibu with the 2.0T was changed at 40K miles/10 years and looked as clean and red as the new stuff going in (Dexron VI) no odd smell to the old stuff either...

Bill

HPL Green, anyone?
I have HPL Blue waiting to go into my 4l80e. Trans is fully built and my builder highly recommended Dex III but I can't afford to change the fluid monthly after my 3200rpm stall converter shears regular Dex III out of grade.

I have HPL Blue waiting to go into my 4l80e. Trans is fully built and my builder highly recommended Dex III but I can't afford to change the fluid monthly after my 3200rpm stall converter shears regular Dex III out of grade.
Shear stability is not a hallmark of DEXRON-III.

I see a lot of people claiming this on the Malibu Forums yet the GF's 2013 Malibu with the 2.0T was changed at 40K miles/10 years and looked as clean and red as the new stuff going in (Dexron VI) no odd smell to the old stuff either...

Bill

That's a good thing. An average of 4K miles per year for 10yrs was easy on it. When I acquired my kid's 2016 Malibu with ~80K miles on it last year (2.5L, 6AT), it appeared the transmission fluid had never been changed and I discovered a pending torque converter code when I scanned it. That drained ATF was black and took 4 drain/fills to clean up to the point I was happy. No more codes in ~12K miles. A cooler line-off exchange would always be a better option if you don't mind fiddling with the hard lines and flying circlips.

Back