2015 Accord I4 starter failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last week or two, my car would not turn over on the first or sometimes second attempts. I'd get dash lights, headlights, radio, etc. but the starter would never get the message. Then on a second or third attempt it would magically come to life and start immediately. Tuesday night it almost stranded us as it refused to kick in after about eight attempts but it finally did and we were able to get it home.

This is apparently a known issue in Honda circles even with low-mileage starters (mine only has 40k on it) that fail for no apparent reason. The parts store rebuilds are expensive and are supposedly garbage anyway. I was going to buy a new OEM one from an online Honda parts house ($400) and replace it myself until I went through my paperwork and remembered I bought the HondaCare extended warranty. A trip to the dealer (a nice, big, new, modern place) netted me a new starter installed for a $100 deductible and I didn't even have to get my hands dirty. I usually rather do my own repairs and replacing a starter is well within what I can do, but I'm not complaining considering the time and money saved. I think I could get used it it.
smile.gif

But you did not get to take apart the starter and learn the exact part that failed. Is the solenoid part of the starter and replaced. Thats was likely the problem, burned contacts.

Starters on the 4 cylinder accords aren't hard but definitely aren't an easy starter. Requires removing the intake plenum to access.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Are you sure it's not the battery the culprit?

Yes, quite.

Originally Posted by Donald
But you did not get to take apart the starter and learn the exact part that failed. Is the solenoid part of the starter and replaced. That's was likely the problem, burned contacts.

Agreed but what I've read online there's apparently more to the issue than that. Not sure what else it is but apparently it's not a simple solenoid swap. But then what I read may be all Internet armchair mechanic speculation so who knows.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
Starters on the 4 cylinder accords aren't hard but definitely aren't an easy starter. Requires removing the intake plenum to access.

Looks like the older ones required that. The 9th gens have the starter on the back of the block above the driveshaft, accessed from underneath. But I don't recall how much space there was to get two hands in there while on ramps.I'm glad I didn't have to find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back